Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » Hang Topics

Post subject: Re: Hang with other instruments
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:08 pm

aaron_in_sf wrote:
michael colley wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dsFkzDRwc4&feature=channel_page i am using a radel tampura in this clip.

Oh yeah! I remember some YouTube from that gig... :)

Curious about the Radel, can you dial in various ragas that correspond in different ways to your various hanghang?

And, is the "loop point" of the samples obvious, or does it sound pretty natural when you adjust it?

that open air gig was a nightmare!

yes there are various ragas and settings on the various models of radel .. dial the pitch in smooth infinite increments and the drones will oscillate around that pitch ... battery or mains power too. the one i was using is from the 1980's

the loop point is quite obvious if its playing loudly on its own though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:36 pm

samjjana wrote:
I was thinking not only about playing with these instruments, but maybe suggesting the idea of playing with a call and response, or a sort of mimicking, where the instruments take it in turns - one plays something, the other responds etc - all improvised of course.

Has anyone tried it and can tell me what their experience was, and are there are any YouTube videos with good examples that anyone knows of...?

Thanks
:)

This is something I'ld like to do too.

In the short Sunday morning improvisation I had with Quitte on the little German Hang meeting we had a few nice moments of tight conversation. When Frank will have mangaged to load the video up, you will be able to listen to it on YouTube.

Ix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:11 pm

Ixkeys wrote:
samjjana wrote:
I was thinking not only about playing with these instruments, but maybe suggesting the idea of playing with a call and response, or a sort of mimicking, where the instruments take it in turns - one plays something, the other responds etc - all improvised of course.

Has anyone tried it and can tell me what their experience was, and are there are any YouTube videos with good examples that anyone knows of...?

Thanks

This is something I'ld like to do too.

In the short Sunday morning improvisation I had with Quitte on the little German Hang meeting we had a few nice moments of tight conversation. When Frank will have mangaged to load the video up, you will be able to listen to it on YouTube.

Ix

Hi,

here we go. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHyhmO2_rRc

Frank

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:21 pm

Hey Funky,

Thanks, I had a look, though it is not what I meant. What I was trying to convey is where one played and then leaves a space for the other to play, and it switches back and forward between the two - the opportunity in that is to weave a melody in a different way, or have a bit of fun with it where you mimic each other.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:04 pm

Hey hangsters,

Thought I'd make a mention here of some videos I have added under the 'hang music and videos' section of this forum - just in case anyone hasn't visited there for a while.

There are an assortment of videos in which the hang is played with impro harp, piano, didgeridoo, voice and percussion as well as our usual hang and flute. We also had one piece with sounds of whales and dolphins. The harp is so amazing with both the hang and the flute, so now I'm going to buy a harp!

Cheers,
:D

Jump to: