Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » Hang Topics

Post subject: Let's END the Hang Cleaning Debate once and for all!
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:07 am

Folks...over the past year, I have read many postings about how to clean the Hang. Personally, I use a saxophone cleaning cloth that someone recommended, a little ethanol alcohol (also known as grain alcohol), and a little mineral oil from time to time. I don't know if I'm doing right by my Hang or not, but that's the best I can do.

I have heard so much advice and plenty of references to this MYSTERIOUS--- Biofa oil ---that I can't buy from the USA......

I WOULD BE HAPPY TO FORM A COMMITTEE TO PETITION THE HANGMAKERS TO CREATE AN OFFICIAL ---------"Hang Cleaning Kit".... with web links where anyone can buy the different components... just to get everyone on the same program and end the debate.

Does anyone want to help me figure out how to make Hang Cleaning Kits, approved by the Hangmakers?

Post subject: Re: Let's END the Hang Cleaning Debate once and for all!
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:23 am

Hi,

@redhang. In the last time PANArt send a "cleaning kit" to some people together with a Hang. This is for clean the Hang. The Biofa is only for protect the Hang against rust. Two different things. If anybody has Biofa it is not needfull to use it often. Maybe all two years a little bit.

I remember a german member send PANArt a letter and ask for this cleaning kit and they send it to this person. So, maybe it works to ask PANArt if they ship this !?

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:43 am

Hey RedHang,

Like Funky said, the biofa is not meant for cleaning, it is just a protection oil that you apply on your Hang from time to time. The idea for the oil to form a very very thin protective layer all around the body of the Hang.

Once again like Funky said, try to contact PANArt to see if you can buy this cleaning Kit.
If the Biofa oil is what you want I don't understand why you can't buy it in the US, have you tried the contact on this page: http://www.biofa.com/?page=30 ?

Greetings
Sérgio

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:46 pm

As has been stated, there is a cleaning solution now available from PANArt directly. If you contact them they will sell and ship it to you.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:24 am

lost wrote:
Hey RedHang,

Like Funky said, the biofa is not meant for cleaning, it is just a protection oil that you apply on your Hang from time to time. The idea for the oil to form a very very thin protective layer all around the body of the Hang.

Once again like Funky said, try to contact PANArt to see if you can buy this cleaning Kit.
If the Biofa oil is what you want I don't understand why you can't buy it in the US, have you tried the contact on this page: http://www.biofa.com/?page=30 ?

Greetings
Sérgio

thanks but the US link for this product reveals nothing. Is mineral oil just as good?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:47 am

RedHang wrote:

thanks but the US link for this product reveals nothing. Is mineral oil just as good?

Mineral oil is a bit of a no no :o
The oil Recommended by Bern is a natural oil used for protecting wood, so something of the sort based on a natural oil is perhaps the best bet.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:04 pm

Sounds-Like-Me wrote:
RedHang wrote:

Mineral oil is a bit of a no no :o
The oil Recommended by Bern is a natural oil used for protecting wood, so something of the sort based on a natural oil is perhaps the best bet.

Thanks for all the advice. Out of curiosity, I used mineral oil a few times over the past year or so. Why is mineral oil bad?

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:06 pm

Mineral oil is a petrochemical based lubricant, can be carcinogenic :cry:
Can be taken orally :? is a good purging agent :mrgreen: has a similar effect as Ayahuasca :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:51 pm

It seems the rumors of carcinogenic effects of mineral oil are overblown:
http://ask.metafilter.com/92089/Mineral ... -in-Europe

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:58 pm

GotHang wrote:
It seems the rumors of carcinogenic effects of mineral oil are overblown:
http://ask.metafilter.com/92089/Mineral ... -in-Europe

Over blown ?
well maybe, but if you have the choice what would you prefer ?

So many products have proved to be not as innocent as we assumed in the light of investigation (asbestos ! I can remember being kited up with a fire suite made of the stuf for a training session , um !!!) :x

Some mineral based oils ARE carcinogenic, fact, not all some, as far as research has been able to discern till now.

I would always chose for the organic version as I have the choice and it's a small matter of feeling better about what I am imbibing my beloved Hang with the best :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:50 pm

Everything is deadly in the right doses. Beware the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide.

My point is that ill effects get trumpeted from the mountaintops, as folks tend to enjoy sensational negative news. The idiocy around banning vaccinations is a terrible example of media sensationalism and hardheadedness overcoming actual data.

Regarding asbestos, the harm is regarding airborne particles. The hype is overblown with that as well as silicone implants.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:17 pm

Ok GotHang I give up :rolleyes: you win :D

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:48 pm

RedHang wrote:
Out of curiosity, I used mineral oil a few times over the past year or so. Why is mineral oil bad?

The main reason not to use mineral oil is that mineral oil is something complete different than hard oil (like the the Biof hard oil). If you have a layer of hard oil on a steel plate, mineral oil will work as a solvent and remove the hard oil layer. You will also get another feeling of the surface after you used mineral oil.

Ix

Jump to: