Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » Hang Topics

Post subject: Playing For Peruvian Medicine Ceremonies
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:17 pm

I have had the privilege to play my Hang during several Peruvian Medicine Ceremonies. Has anyone else done this? In fact, it was such a ceremony with a Peruvian Shaman that I first saw and heard the Hang myself...and instantly fell in love with it. It is an amazing experience, but because this is a secret practice that the American Government frowns upon because plant medicine is used, I cannot go into all the details. I have found though, that the Hang is an excellent sound for all types of religious ceremonies. Has anyone else had this experience? If you don't know what I'm talking about, google Peruvian Shaman Ceremony. In any case, because this ancient root medicine heightens sensory perception, all sounds that resonate through the body are magnified and are perceived as echoes from some angelic realm. The Peruvian Shaman sings throughout the ceremony, without stopping. This is amazing since the ceremony can last 8 hours. I tend to think that the Hang has a sort of healing, peaceful resonance, not unlike the sound made with Tibetan metal bowls....but of course, we can do more than play one note. I also find that playing the highest and lowest notes on my IH really resonants throughout my body more than the other tones.

Post subject: Re: Playing For Peruvian Medicine Ceremonies
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:05 pm

Greetings Redhang... a beautiful surprise to hear of your journey with the hang in ceremony. I also have played the hang in the same ceremony. Feedback always comes in as people having profound journey's when the hang is played and prayed with. A friend and I play our hangs together at times. These hanghang are a pygmy scale and my integral hang. The dings are in different keys yet we have found what notes to avoid and which to play for the full spectrum beauty. It is truly a blessing to play hang in ceremony. I have found that my overall levels of sensitivity and refinement in my music has really increased due to a sense of responsibility in ceremony. Thank you for the meaningful topic. Blessings.

Ranganatha

Post subject: Re: Playing For Peruvian Medicine Ceremonies
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:27 pm

ranganatha wrote:
Greetings Redhang... a beautiful surprise to hear of your journey with the hang in ceremony. I also have played the hang in the same ceremony. Feedback always comes in as people having profound journey's when the hang is played and prayed with. A friend and I play our hangs together at times. These hanghang are a pygmy scale and my integral hang. The dings are in different keys yet we have found what notes to avoid and which to play for the full spectrum beauty. It is truly a blessing to play hang in ceremony. I have found that my overall levels of sensitivity and refinement in my music has really increased due to a sense of responsibility in ceremony. Thank you for the meaningful topic. Blessings.

Ranganatha

Very nice.

Jump to: