Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » Hang Topics

Post subject: Dimensions of the Hang?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:05 am

I know I saw this somewhere before, but a quick search using google, hang-music.com and hangblog.org revealed no articles with the dimensions of the Hang.

I can go home and measure it myself, but I wondered if anyone has the "official" info of the dimensions of a Hang alone and inside different cases.

Post subject: Re: Dimensions of the Hang?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:54 am

OK, my 2nd generation Hang in the hardshell case measures 24 inches long/wide and 10 inches deep.

I may need to travel with my hang on a domestic flight, and I fear that I will have to check my Hang as baggage since it is too big to bring on the plane. Once there was a large box available (not a backpack/case) that was made special for the Hang and would provide very good protection. Anyone know if Felix still sells this box?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:20 am

I was looking into a flight case for the Hang and came up with this one as the best match a few years ago:

Hardigg Storm iM2875

The cheapest I could find it then was here:
http://www.police-cases.com/store/produ ... ucts_id=75

There's also the Pelican 1640 which is a big larger overall.

But then I traveled and found that I could generally put it in the backpack and carry it on, even on a puddle jumper.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:07 pm

Most airlines will allow you to carry a musical instrument in the passenger compartment unless it's something large like a harp or contrabass. A Hang shouldn't be a problem. Call ahead, let the airline know that you are a musician and that you are bringing your instrument, and verify their policy.

If you are a member of a musician's union, bring your card with you. You probably won't need it, but it may help on the odd chance that someone hassles you. The union in the USA has boycotted airlines that force musicians to check instruments.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:32 pm

Dante wrote:
I know I saw this somewhere before, but a quick search using google, hang-music.com and hangblog.org revealed no articles with the dimensions of the Hang.

I can go home and measure it myself, but I wondered if anyone has the "official" info of the dimensions of a Hang alone and inside different cases.

Your right, that is a lack in the Hang Lexicon. But I included the dimensions in the German Wikipedia article:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hang_(Musikinstrument)#Beschreibung

I took the data from the former PANArt website and measured my 2nd generation Hang. The data are rounded to full cm.

I will add it to the Hang Lexicon when I'm back home. And @GotHang: It's also an issue for the English wikipedia article.

Ix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:41 pm

Just to mention that when I was first starting to travel with the hang I went to a lot of trouble to check about the carry on board luggage. I researched hang and music forums, googled the question, rang airlines etc. What I discovered from this process if that people have had mixed experiences, and the hang does exceed some of the dimensions for some airlines, but the airlines I rang said it was up to the discretion of the cabin crew on the day.

We have been on quite a few planes now on these overseas travels and what I have learned is that if you turn up and go through the check in very early there is more chance they won't care than if you turn up late, when they might be getting concerned about how much weight is already booked on the plane. However, if you are there in a busier time, especially if they are very busy, it is easy because they are rushing to get everyone booked and don't have the time to fuss with dimensions of carry on items.

Also, if you make no fuss, don't bring attention to it, keep it out of sight as much as possible, they don't even check or ask. The first time I did ask, and by bringing it to their attention it created a problem. They were concerned about it being carry on luggage. What resolved it is that I said "it fits in the overhead compartments, it is less than the maximum weight, I have forfeited my cabin bag in order to be able to carry it with me, and it is irreplaceable."
So they alllowed me to carry it on.

Ever since then we say nothing and it has worked a treat. We will cross fingers and hope that trend continues as we fly on four more planes to return home in August!
:)

Jump to: