Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » Hang Topics

Post subject: Exact Frequencies of the Hang
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:21 pm

Hi,

Anybody know the exact frequency range of the Hang (2nd generation) including all the highest harmonics?

Post subject: Re: Exact Frequencies of the Hang
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:13 pm

I dont think there is an exact frequency range. Second generation Hanghang have different highest notes.
But, as an aproximation, I`ll tell it can go down to 40Hz or so, depending on how you "tune" the Gu, and about the hi frequency, I`d say at least 4 octaves up from the highest note is audible. But you must also count the sound of the "impulse" you use for exciting the notes (thats the sound of your finger, palm,...), An also the higher inarmonic partials from the metal itself, resonances and interactions.
So I`d say it will extend beyond human hearing in terms of frequency, as almost all acoustic instruments.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:49 pm

IMO,

it depends on what you mean. :)

If you mean, what is in designed-for strong (intentional) harmonic content, that is one thing, but if your question is more about, how to choose a microphone or how to record the instrument, then keep in mind that when you are actually playing a real instrument, there are going to be aspects of the sound profile extending across the entire human hearing range, except for maybe very low frequencies.

You can see what I mean by using a program like Audacity and doing some band-pass EQ filtering on any very good recording of a Hang (YouTube compresses the audio and already rolls things off!). You will find that if you remove the highs and lows that are not theoretically part of the sound of the instrument, it will still sound "wrong." Part of this is that we expect to hear full frequencies (including ambient noise and "room tone") and part that the instrument is producing sound in those ranges (sometimes) and we unconsciously expect to hear that. :)

Out of curiosity, why do you ask? :)

a

:: three cheers for singing steel! ::

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:28 am

Well, without giving too much away, I am engaged with a project involving a music visualizer. I have a device that interprets sound into light, and it can be programmed to fit a particular frequency range. Currently it is set to react to all sound capable of being heard by the human ear. This results in 2nd gen hanghang creating colors that range from Red to Yellow. I want to re-program the device so that the entire color spectrum can be excited within the range of a single hang (if possible). Only problem is I don't know how advanced the technology is. The device is extremely sensitive, but I don't know how well it will differentiate (ie "pick up") the harmonics at the far end of the spectrum. A basic frequency range will give me a much better chance of acheiving a wider color spectrum within a single hang. And the result is WELL worth the effort. This device is designed to have profound effects on the evolution of consciousness. It combines light with quartz, and add the hang to the mix and an extremely potent opportunity presents itself...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:53 am

One thing to consider beyond frequencies, per se, is the amount of energy in them.

I take it you can't "dial it in" on the fly, to get the result you want?

If it's a relatively easy adjustment, I would try setting the range from say 100 Hz to 2000 Hz. Without pulling up a spectrogram, I'd guess that's where the most of the energy is. You could go down lower but unless you have really good miking getting the Hemholtz resonant or other very low frequency content is going to be tricky.

There will be some coloration (no pun intended) from the mics you use to get the sound of the Hang into the system, of course, but I'm pretty confident that shouldn't diminish the effect you're looking for... :)

Oh shucks all right. I pulled up the spectrogram and looked at the energy distribution for the Ake Bono scale recording from Oddmusic, which I happened to have on my desktop.

The bulk of the energy is under 800 Hz, in the fundamentals, with the tuned octave and fifth harmonics mostly peaking out in the range of 1500-1600 Hz. As I mentioned in my previous response, there is energy all the way up to the top of human hearing, constituting the percussive white noise so to speak, but my guess seemed about right.

Curiously I was just a day or so ago corresponding with someone about Hang tuning issues and he mentioned that the Pang material does not support tuning of harmonics above 1500 Hz or so. I find it interesting to see that on a high-Ding first generation this is directly born out by the harmonics you can see in the spectrogram.

Another comment about your input -- you may want to play with the input curve, whether it's logorithmic or linear that is, if the goal is to get clear color separation between the different tones...

Hope to see this sometime. ;)

aaron

:: three cheers for singing steel! ::

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:02 pm

I think it is important to include the D2 in the range. If not you will not have the full sound of the 2nd generation hang. It cannot be difficult to get this frequency with a single microphone above the hang. I can hear it with my single right ear (my left is 100% dumb) when the Hang is on my lap, so why not a mic in a similar position? I think it's more the question whether the player is able to generate this tone.

Ix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:22 pm

I can generate the D2 tone with ease, and as you know, it changes when the hemholtz is engaged underneath. I have found that a mic underneath is also very helpful to get a better response out of the D2 bass tone. Only problem is getting it right so that it does not feedback when Hemholtz is engaged. I actually enjoy playing this bass tone both with engagement of Hemholtz, as well as without, as it makes for greater impact of the entire instrument at the moment when hemholtz is engaged.

For my purposes, the bass tone coming from the bottom is essential in the color scheme. With the current programming of my music visualizer, the deep D2 bass tone is the only frequency that will activate the deep red color at the bottom of the spectrum. The D3 on top actives orange.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:47 pm

If you want to pick that D2 tone, then be sure you are picking about 70Hz or so. Also if you are using a mic for the gu side pointing up, then you must change the phase for that microphone

Jump to: