Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » Hang Topics

Post subject: Solution for one-legged Hang players with F-Ding
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:28 pm

Problem: You have an above knee amputation and you want to play a first generation Hang with an F-Ding. To let the Gu resonate with the Ding (F2 and F3) you need enough distance between the Gu and the floor and a wide angle of the legs:

Therefor it isn't a solution to sit on the floor. This only works with 2nd gneration or Integral Hanghang. It also isn't a solution to put the Hang on a stand, because it will get a cold metallic sound. It needs the contact to the human tighs to produce its warm sound.

Now I found a satisfying solution by modifying the Unicat percussion stand: I removed the three arms which usually hold the instrument and supplied two of the three remaining short arms with a heat insulation tube.

This is probably also a good solution for corpulent persons with short legs who have problems to hold the Hang on their lap.

Ix

Post subject: Re: Solution for one-legged Hang players with F-Ding
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:54 pm

So you finally found a solution. :D

Congratulations :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:37 am

Great solution!

Maybe you can get a kick pedal for the complete leg and attach some sort of device like a rubber cup or a cloth ball or large fluffy mallet head, or a tennis ball, and when you depress the kick pedal you can activate the Hemholtz resonance by moving the ball up under the Gu?? Would take some getting used to, but I bet you could get it to work. Could produce a completely different technique, as you alternate between hemholtz activation, and then with an open hole...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:19 pm

Because there is only a part of the right tigh it is easy to reach the Gu with the right hand if one wante to modify the Helmholtz resonance.

I don't know what you mean with "activate the Helmholtz resonance"? As long the Gu is open there is a Helmholtz resonance. For Hanghang with a Ding in F or lower (these are especially the Low Hang, 2nd generation and IH but also some older 1st generation Hang with F-Ding) you receive the "full sound" of the Hang when the Helmholtz resonance is exact an octave below the Ding (for example: Ding F3 - Helmholtz resonance F2 or Ding D3 - Helmholtz resonance D2)

When you hold a Hang in the air without any influence to the Gu, the Helmholtz resonance is a F2 (this is the same with all Hang generations).

My solution I demonstrated above is an easy way to hold an F-Ding Hang with a F2-F3 resonance. The technique with the kick pedal would allow to hold a Hang with a Ding lower than F3 with a Gu-Ding-resonance (because you must partly close the Gu opening to lower the resonance frequency.

But for my 2nd generation Hang (D-Ding) I found the best solution by sitting on the floor. This is much easier than to use any equipment.

Ix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:44 pm

That is an excellent solution, your ingenuity is quite impressive! I don't know all the details of your situation, Ix, but I'm sorry about your leg. But I am glad you can enjoy playing your Hang again :D

Jump to: