Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » Hang Topics

Post subject: Not Using The Word "Hang"
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:07 pm

Having just gotten up to speed somewhat on the whole legal use of the word - "Hang"... please clarify some things for me.

1. If the Hangmakers want Giddy to change the name of his website (Hang-music.com) to a non-Hang word, is this website going to have to change names too?

2. What will be the difference between Hangforum and Hangpan.org (Giddy's new website)?

3. Will the "Hangblog" change names?

4. Since I call myself "Redhang", if I made a CD, would I be expected to not use my performance name?

5. Are we starting to call all steel pan instruments "Hangpans" now, with the exception that PanART wants the word "Hang" to refer to their instrument and they do not want to have a general word "hangpan" to refer to their instrument?

6. Why can't Giddy use the "Hang" to title one of his catagories inside the website? Does PanART not want "Hangs" to be discussed in the same forum as other instruments?

Post subject: Re: Not Using The Word "Hang"
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:21 pm

Hi RedH**g :?

Funky is visiting PANart right now so hopefully when he returns he will be able to give us some definite answers to these and other questions, from the official source !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:46 am

i hear you redhang! this topic has become everything and nothing accross all the forums i moderate.

frank owns this site and gidda owns handpan.org and hang-music.com and torben owns hangfan.co.uk all these website owners have some different approaches to the internet hang cultures and i think soon we will see the content of these sites drifting apart.

the legal issues have been hotly discussed within the forums but no action has been taken by panart other than a plea from felix to gidda via email to change his domain. gidda has done this out of respect and courtesy.

ix (hangblog) and funky will be back soon to add any further information on this subject.

i personally do not care too much about what the 'family' of instruments may or may not be called.

peace

m

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:21 am

RedHang wrote:
Having just gotten up to speed somewhat on the whole legal use of the word - "Hang"... please clarify some things for me.

1. If the Hangmakers want Giddy to change the name of his website (Hang-music.com) to a non-Hang word, is this website going to have to change names too?

2. What will be the difference between Hangforum and Hangpan.org (Giddy's new website)?

4. Since I call myself "Redhang", if I made a CD, would I be expected to not use my performance name?

5. Are we starting to call all steel pan instruments "Hangpans" now, with the exception that PanART wants the word "Hang" to refer to their instrument and they do not want to have a general word "hangpan" to refer to their instrument?

6. Why can't Giddy use the "Hang" to title one of his catagories inside the website? Does PanART not want "Hangs" to be discussed in the same forum as other instruments?

1. No.

2. As a moderator and one of the initiators of the Hang Forum I can tell you that this forum focusses on the instrument Hang. The handpan.org (not hangpan!) seems to focus on other instruments called by the initiators of that forum "handpans".

3. No.

4. If you play a Caisa or a Halo at your performance and call it "Hang performance by Redhang" this can already happen. If you make a Hang CD and really record a Hang, I think nobody is interested that you change the CD's name if it containes the Word Hang.

5. The term "hangpan" was never discussed.

6. You should ask Gidda this question.

Ix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:18 am

Thank you Ix. I appreciate your answers.

By the way, when I wrote "hangpan"- I meant to write "handpan". I notice the mistake after I submitted but could not change my post. So, I guess my question is the same...Does Panart want Hang to stand alone in its own catagory and then everything else is a catagorized as "handpans"?

Ixkeys wrote:
RedHang wrote:

1. No.

2. As a moderator and one of the initiators of the Hang Forum I can tell you that this forum focusses on the instrument Hang. The handpan.org (not hangpan!) seems to focus on other instruments called by the initiators of that forum "handpans".

3. No.

4. If you play a Caisa or a Halo at your performance and call it "Hang performance by Redhang" this can already happen. If you make a Hang CD and really record a Hang, I think nobody is interested that you change the CD's name if it containes the Word Hang.

5. The term "hangpan" was never discussed.

6. You should ask Gidda this question.

Ix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:12 pm

RedHang wrote:
.Does Panart want Hang to stand alone in its own catagory and then everything else is a catagorized as "handpans"?

Hi Redhang,

i dont know if everything else is "Handpan" in the future. Maybe some makers of such instruments dont "see" the instrument they made in a "Handpan" category?

Panart Hang is not in the "Handpan" category. This is sure.

I dont know, if the makers from Caisa, Bell, Halo and so on speak about a category for this instruments and agreed that all their instruments are in the category "Handpan". I dont think so.
I think a few people find this word and pigeonhole a few instruments only because of a more or less similar shape.

Greetings
Frank

Jump to: