Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » Hang Topics

Post subject: The mathematics of Hang distribution
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:16 pm

YouTube user neurwan told in his channel comments that he was told by PANArt that he was "not ready and worthy to play the IH one". "they just said me I play like a drumer, to heavy. they said me it's a sculptur, and now it's more a spirtiual instrument, and that's why tey said me i'm not ready. I was really confused and sad after that."

After this statement a discussion began in the channel and at handpan.org that focusses in my point of view too much on spiritual and moral issues. I prefer the scientific way to try to understand why things happen. One of the important methods of science is mathematics. Therefor I will try to give you an understanding of the mathematics of Hang distribution.

A lot of people thought there was a "list" where "hang orders" was filed and the Hanghang were distributed in chronological order. This means that anyone who is on the list has the "right" to buy a Hang when his time is come.

So let's look what would happen if Hang distribution would be managed in this way. How long will someone have to wait until he will acquire an Integral Hang? To make it easy I will build a simplified model of the distribution of the IH beginning with the year 2008. There are two suppositions in this model:

1) 500 Integral Hanghang are build per year
2) 1500 requests for a Hang are sent to PANArt per year

The numbers are not correct (400 to 450 Hanghang were built per year in the last years and the real number of Hang requests I don't know), but I chose them in order to get a simplified model for an easy understanding.

The following figure shows the model:

You can easyly see that those who send a Hang request begin of 2010 will have to wait 4 years and those who send their requests begin of 2013 even 10 years. And those who request a Hang begin of 2018 will get an IH in 2038.

This method of Hang distribution cannot work.

There are two ways to solve the problem of the high demand: To raise the price or to choose the ones who can get a Hang with other criteria than waiting time. Or do someone knows another solution?

Ix

Post subject: Re: The mathematics of Hang distribution
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:14 pm

Hi,

@Ix. A very interesting question.
I see also the discussion about this on the channel and on other forums.
By the way, it seems that this is a good chance for a few people without much background and a lack of understanding to make bad "mood" against Panart.

Your figure is not so easy to understand but with your explaination it is more clear what you want to say. This shows that a "list" with a chronological order dont make sense and that Panart must find another way.
I think this must be easy to understand for everybody.

At the moment I have not the time to post my opinions about that, because it needs a lot of time in english. I will post something about that on monday.
I am happy to speak with Felix and Sabina about that personally and so I could understand what they want a little bit better. It is not easy for them and if poeple say Panart want dictate something, this people be totally off the track.
I think to answer this question is not possible only with mathematics. The mathematics shows only, that the demand is much to high.
The Integral Hang is an instrument or sound sculpture with a lot of power. It is also a listening device. I totally understand that Panart search for people who need a Hang and that they search for people who want realy to "listen".
The IH is not only a nice to have, one more instrument. It is not an instrument for people who are search only for another good "percussion". There are people who are on any "list". They want a Halo, Bell, Caisa, Spacedrum and a Panart Hang. If possible this with different scales.
For that they could be happy with any of the instruments they call "Handpans".
But there are enough people (and the demand is anyway higher as Panart can build Hanghang) who want to "listen" to the Hang. They need a Hang and not another instrument.
This is only one example. I know that there are a lot of more reasons to give the IH in the "right" hands. More i will post soon.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:49 pm

Yeeeaaah...
I don't think that you can trivialize that.
See, the two of you made a purchase and got your Hanghang.
Others have to wait a long time, without knowing a reason why or ... you know ... why not.
I know that we three talked about the "policy" of PANArt and we agreed that they need some sort of spokesman or 'publicity department'. :?

Just a thought...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:26 pm

Quitte wrote:
Yeeeaaah...
I don't think that you can trivialize that.

I didn't want to trivialize it. My point is to left all relegious and moral metaphors beside, that can produce misunderstanding. I know that religious metaphors are used by the Hang makers to describe issues around the Hang. "Spirituality" is mentioned, "a gift from heaven" or the "angels" singing in the overtone space of the Hang. If you are able to understand them as metaphors (a metaphor has only one point of comparison with the item that is described!! It is not allegory or a scientific term) it can help to understand, but religious metaphors are dangerous. Thousands of years religion was used to devide people in good and evil, wright or wrong, ingroup or outgroup. Religious metaphors invites others to misunderstand them.

Therefor I recommend not to refer to the Hang with any religious metaphors. One central point with the Hang is sound and sound is nothing religious or spiritual. It is matter reacting with a biological system via vibration of the air. And the second central point is to listen. This is an activity of a biological system interacting with matter via vibration of the air.

Everything else is personal experience and interpretation and shouldn't be considered as something that exist outside of one self.

When we look on the Integral Hang and how the Hang makers look on it the point is, that the Hang is an "instrument" or "device" or "object" or "sculpture" that is able to interact with human beings in very sensitive way and therefor needs persons who are able and willing to listen to the sound.

I tink this is the central point if we want to understand how the Hang makers see the Hang and its players (and this don't need any religious metaphors).

In the moment we are in an intermediate zone between yesterday and tomorrow. We have to consider that all the appointments for this year are already made by the Hang makers. Next year they will change how they distribute the Hang according to the problem I wanted to show with the mathematics of Hang distribution. In the moment they send acknowledgments to those who request a Hang, telling them that they will be informed in spring 2010 on PANArts further activities. Therefor in the moment we cannot discuss how PANArt manages the distribution because we don't know it. There are the group of those invited for appointments in the next few weeks in the "old way". And then Felix and Sabina will go into this winter's "Hangruhe" and will start a new chapter of Hang distribution in 2010. I'm sure those who are "on the list" will be informed what they have to do, if they still want a Hang.

Ix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:05 pm

Like i post in others topics.....people want to understand.....

Sabina and Felix are like "violin maker" and the take the time necessary to make a Hang...they are not in business way. If i'm going to a violin maker, i takes sometimes months to make a very good intrument.

There is only one way to have the opportunity to have a Hang......the "lâcher prise" (to release catch ) after write and post the demand in a mailbox.

For more and more people to have played and play the Hang for people....the Hang is not "just" a musical instrument it's really more.....not in the mind of the player but in the eyes and heart of the listerners.

I play Hang every weeks and regulary for little groups of music amateur.....always there is the same results.....harmony, calm, pleasure and sort of antistress results more and more power of medics.

The way of PANart is the way of craft making in respect of human rythm and high quality product not business way and mass production....if people don't understand that.....that's pity.

Jump to: