Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » Hang Topics

Post subject: Free Integral Hang
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:10 am

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has any news or information about the Free Integral Hang?

Just today someone posted the text of an email received from PANArt describing a new instrument, the Free Integral Hang, and detailing a process for indicating whether the recipient feels they are in harmony with the sculpture described, and hence would like to be considered as a potential buyer.

I'm not sure it would be appropriate to repost that text here, especially as I have not received it myself, but is a very deep document and reveals or confirms many aspects of the evolution of the Hang that have been discussed here and elsewhere.

In particular, the specific relationship PANArt conceives the player -- I am not sure that is the best word! -- to have with the Hang, is articulated, and a new evolution of the Hang is described that gently encourages this relationship.

The evolution is for the tuning of the new Hang, the Free Integral Hang, to no longer be made in reference to tuning devices, but instead through intuitive processes.

Personally I find the idea very compelling -- the new FIH will be optimized in yet one more way to have the best possible physical and sonic characteristics, without the constraint of being 'quantized' to conventional pitches.

It is unclear whether all FIH will have a tuning intrinsically (internally) similar to the preceding IH, or in fact to one another -- that's one thing I'm hoping someone here might know or learn.

Regardless it is clear from the text that one intention in this liberation is not only to perfect the Hang in its makers' conception -- which surely will be audible and otherwise perceivable to we who would play it -- but to explicitly ask, through its nature, that the Hang not be played as part of an ensemble, as an instrument.

An illuminating document.

Me, I nervously await receipt of any such email from Bern.... and I wonder, if I do not receive such an email, whether I am still open to submit my interest...

I hope so. This new Free Integral Hang sounds -- on paper -- like it will be yet more magic than what we already know.

I can't wait to hear it, and learn more!

aaron

:: three cheers for singing steel! ::

Post subject: Re: Free Integral Hang
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:40 am

The news from the Hangbauhaus November 2009 will be shortly published at the Hangblog with the permission of PANArt. Posting it in forums without asking for permission would be against PANArt's copyright.

Ix

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:42 am

Ix,

have you gotten to hear or play a FIH?!

Are you able to share any more information at this time?

aaron

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:02 am

aaron_in_sf wrote:
Ix,

have you gotten to hear or play a FIH?!

aaron

Hi Aaron,

Ix, and I know a few weeks about the new IH and this e-mail. As Ixkeys said above. Panart is working on an article together with Ix and I think in the next days you can read more about the new IH in the Hangblog and this Forum.

To post personally e-mails in any forum is against Panarts copyright.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:12 am

A friend of mine had the chance to play one of the FIH this year. He was really amazed of its sound!

I was able to read the letter of the FIH yesterday, but it was not my letter. Another friend sent me the letter to read the news. He sent his letter to panart some weeks ago (I sent my letter in october 2008... maybe I'll receive a letter soon, I hope...) and received the second answer yesterday.

I think, the FIH is, what I was searching for all the years. Without play it, I am shure it is, what I was searching for.

Sorry for some mistakes, my english is not the best

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:16 am

Hi,

@beatzekatze. Your englisch is fine for me. :)

Are you sure, that your friend played a Free Integral Hang? At our visit in Bern there where only the IH Hanghang. But maybe Felix and Sabina let him play a very first version.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:40 am

He told me that he played a new one, but I don't know if it was a new IH or a FIH.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:05 pm

beatzekatze wrote:
He told me that he played a new one, but I don't know if it was a new IH or a FIH.

Hi,

i think it was the IH. The Free Integral Hang is just born.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:12 pm

Thanks Frank.

I see that on the Hangblog Ix describes the letter as going to everyone who wrote hoping for an IH in the last two years (but did not get one)...

...do either of you know (or guess) if this is going out to a subset of people, or to everyone? I wrote in January 2008 , and got paper mail when all IH were allocated, but I have not gotten this email. :(

Regardless... I can't wait to hear the FIH.

Being me, I have technical curiosity-- but I am mostly interested because in the text it seems clear that this could be another major evolution of potential in the form!

aaron

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:21 am

aaron_in_sf wrote:

...do either of you know (or guess) if this is going out to a subset of people, or to everyone?

I don't know... I wrote my letter in october 2008, a friend wrote in september 2009. The friend received this answer a few days ago, but I haven't gotten this email too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:45 am

The letter is sent or will be sent to about 2000 people not sorted according to the date when they wrote their letters. It is an information that allows everybody to consider whether the Free Integral Hang is what he or she wants. I don't know whether all mails and letters are out yet. So it's not the moment to become flustered today ore tomorrow.

Ix

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:51 am

aaron_in_sf wrote:
Ix,
ave you gotten to hear or play a FIH?!
aaron

No, I never saw, played or heared a Free Integral Hang. PANArt built the Integral Hang for all customers who visited the Hangbauhaus until early November to pick up their instrument. I think the new instruments will be given to their owners next year.

Ix

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:50 pm

Thanks Ix.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:31 pm

Yet another interesting chapter in the Hang world! ;)

I'm really excited with the new FIH...

I'm one of those who got the letter last year saying that all the IH's already had an owner, but I still didn't receive this last letter.
I really hope i receive one.

I've been craving for a Hang for some years now, and sometimes it seems i'll simply never get one.
I received the news about the FIH with happiness, but once again I'll have to dream with a letter that might not arrive, so I can reply with another letter and once again set for a new letter waiting period...
It's hard to love the Hang! 8-)

Take care

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:46 pm

wow...exciting~!
but I can't imagine about free-tuned..
it doesn't mean untuned or unharmonic ?

if FIH could play any music works just its own without any need of another instrument or hang,
I think it's amazing. but felix said new hang will be not on the norm of modern music or..I forgot..but..so..
I don't know which I understood well.

anyway, I hope to see and listen it soon.

Post subject: Free Integral Hang
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:45 pm

"Free tuned" doesn't mean untuned. The Free Integral Hanghang will be Integral Hanghang. That means that the tone circle will remain relatively to the Ding the same as in 2008 and 2009. The difference is, that the Ding will not be tuned exactly to standard pitch D3. The tone will relate to the resonance of the tuner at the morning when he or she starts tuning the Ding of this special instrument. And the second difference is, that all the "zones of harmonic order" as they called them in the Hang booklet 2008 with their relating resonances to the Ding will not be tuned by means of technical equipment but by means of the human body, ears and brain.

This will allow the tuners not to concentrate on whether a tone has the the exact frequency but whether it resonates in relation to the tuner and the whole of the Hang.

It remembers me a bit at when I newly learned to tune my cello, when I began cello lessons at university. My new teacher told me to listen to the fifth while playing two neighboured strings, to develop a feeling of the fifth. Not to listen whether the tone is exact but whether the resonance feels optimal. If you can feel the resonance you don't have to analyze it.

For the Hang it is important, that it consists not only of single tones that have to be tuned correctly for themselves, but it is a complex sound system. In each moment the Hang sounds as a whole. "...that we were not dealing with a system of separate notes, but with individual voices exciting other voices that are harmonically related, creating a unique dynamic which defines the Hang", as the Hang makers wrote in their letter from the Hangbauhaus. Therefor to do it without tuning instruments helps the tuner to concentrate on the Hang as a whole.

Ixkeys

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:52 pm

IX, this is so beautifully & clearly expressed, Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:58 pm

Ix,

Thanks for the information on the internal harmonic relationship of the tone circle -- that was one of my biggest questions, whether that would remain relatively constant. It was easy to imagine that within the dialog of instrument being tuned and tuner, alternatives would perhaps sometimes present themselves and be embraced. Perhaps they shall!

Regarding just intonation, there is a book available that explores the subject form a unique and very deep perspective:

http://www.amazon.com/Harmonic-Experien ... 892815604/

It's sort of a musical theory book, but it begins with no assumptions about what the reader knows (though ability to read music becomes necessary to get through it).

The thing that makes it so wonderful is that it contains a set of exercises that bring the notion of pure (just) intoned intervals into the body of the reader -- there are exercises for singing true (perfect) intervals, and learning to feel them within the body -- something that is for most of us raised on well-tempered scales a revelation.

As the book explains, there is a power and 'rightness' in a true perfect third that is absent in a well-tempered third... and so on.

Fwiw this book also has something very rare -- a blurb recommending it from John Coltrane!!! :)

aaron

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:38 am

Ixkeys wrote:
"Free tuned" doesn't mean untuned. The Free Integral Hanghang will be Integral Hanghang. That means that the tone circle will remain relatively to the Ding the same as in 2008 and 2009. The difference is, that the Ding will not be tuned exactly to standard pitch D3. The tone will relate to the resonance of the tuner at the morning when he or she starts tuning the Ding of this special instrument. And the second difference is, that all the "zones of harmonic order" as they called them in the Hang booklet 2008 with their relating resonances to the Ding will not be tuned by means of technical equipment but by means of the human body, ears and brain.

This will allow the tuners not to concentrate on whether a tone has the the exact frequency but whether it resonates in relation to the tuner and the whole of the Hang.

It remembers me a bit at when I newly learned to tune my cello, when I began cello lessons at university. My new teacher told me to listen to the fifth while playing two neighboured strings, to develop a feeling of the fifth. Not to listen whether the tone is exact but whether the resonance feels optimal. If you can feel the resonance you don't have to analyze it.

For the Hang it is important, that it consists not only of single tones that have to be tuned correctly for themselves, but it is a complex sound system. In each moment the Hang sounds as a whole. "...that we were not dealing with a system of separate notes, but with individual voices exciting other voices that are harmonically related, creating a unique dynamic which defines the Hang", as the Hang makers wrote in their letter from the Hangbauhaus. Therefor to do it without tuning instruments helps the tuner to concentrate on the Hang as a whole.

Ixkeys

Ah~!I understood! Thank you Ixks.

hmm, it's similar to tune the piano.

:)

Jump to: