Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » Hang Topics

Post subject: 19 December 2009
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:07 pm

I feel dirty

You know that feeling when you need a long shower because you feel dirty? But no matter how much time you spend under the shower or how hard you scrub you still feel dirty because the underlying cause of your discomfort goes so much deeper?

What happened, you ask.

Well, I’ve been made to understand, in no uncertain terms, that there is something substantially wrong with me. What the exact nature of my personal shortcomings is, unfortunately has not been revealed to me. So I’m left guessing. It could be anything.

So what did I do to bring all this about? What vile and brutal acts am I guilty of? Have a seat before you read any further, because you’re not going to believe this:

1. I am guilty of having played a musical instrument (the owner was a gentle soul who kindly allowed me to play it for a bit), the intricate sound waves of which touched my very soul. Playing it made me feel as if I was in tune with cosmic energy. I didn’t play the instrument; the instrument guided me! And I felt for a moment as if I was the centre of “The Field”. A truly life-changing experience.
2. I am guilty of longing to develop myself and enhance that feeling described above by extensive practice in order to share it with all around me. Just as it happened that one beautiful day.
3. I am guilty of expressing my sincere interest in acquiring such a musical instrument from its makers. Oh yes: in writing! And as if that would not be enough: several times over the past years at that!
4. I am guilty of being willing to be patient and wait an untold number of years before I could actually be in a position to obtain such a musical instrument.
5. I am guilty of remaining enthusiastic about this instrument and loyal to its makers, even though the direction of its development remains, to put it mildly, somewhat ambiguous: “tuned to the maker’s inner resonance”(???).
6. I am guilty of being willing to pay a rather substantial sum for a musical instrument: including extra’s (case etc.) about twice the price of the iconic Stratocaster as in use by Clapton and Knopfler.
7. I am guilty of being willing to invest in a musical instrument, the (re-)tuning of which (once every two years?) may in the future practically prove to be ‘difficult’.
8. I am guilty of looking forward to, when the time would have arrived, travelling halfway across the world only for the pleasure of choosing “the one that speaks to me” for myself.

As a result I have been informed that I am deemed unworthy. Irrevocably and permanently!

This decision was based on…. on…. eh…. well, to be honest I don’t rightfully know. It has been suggested that a decision such as this could have been made based on a few, what must be, ill-chosen words trusted to a sheet of paper in a language that is not one’s own mother-tongue. It may seem farfetched, but so far it’s the only explanation offered.

A lot of speculation regarding this subject is going on at this moment. Because I am not alone. We are many. If I have done the math correctly, there are about one and a half thousand people who find themselves in a similar predicament as myself. As far as I can tell, we are all gentle and sensitive human beings who have in common that our souls have been touched by a particular kind of music. But I must be wrong! All one and a half thousand of us have been selected for banishment. Where the entire rest of the world might still have a chance of some day acquiring such a musical instrument, we do not. We have been written off. Thrown aside. Cast in the garbage.

It feels as if something has been taken away from me. Something within me has been damaged for good. Things will never be the same. A new and beautiful experience had been created by a few enlightened beings. Something that brought one in direct contact with one’s self as well as with the entire universe, all at the same time. Where before I had the hope of one day sharing (sound-) waves that bring wellbeing to all who share this instrument’s play, now I will never be able to listen to one of these again without contemplating the hurt that its makers have placed on so many good people. Sooo many. Its innocence and clean beauty have been thoughtlessly extinguished. Because no act is more cruel than having one’s hope destroyed.

Merry Christmas.

Post subject: Re: 19 December 2009
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:32 pm

Hallo Hangover,

i understand, that you are sad. I know the mail Panart send to a lot of people.
I think they explained the reasons, very fine. It has nothing to do with "worthy" or "not worthy".
Do you know the exact way Panart has made the decission whom they can build a Hang in the next future? I am not.
But I know, that Felix and Sabina, dont think about people in the way you describe in your posting.
Is it better to collect all letters and let people hope that they got a Hang from Panart in a foreseeable time frame, with the knowing that this is not possible?

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:43 pm

Hangover... I understand you in 100% and also I support your point of vision.

Frank... don't hate me, but is easy to talk about PANART vision when you have a hang in your hands. By the way you didn't answered me my last post... I'm curious to know your vision about the future of this instrument if PANART stop the production (forever) and who will retune hangs in the future, of course if they QUIT.

Yeah, they are glorious persons, but would be great to know which would be their plan to keep alive the instrument and the tune process for who have one.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:44 pm

Massimiliano wrote:
Frank... don't hate me, but is easy to talk about PANART vision when you have a hang in your hands. By the way you didn't answered me my last post... I'm curious to know your vision about the future of this instrument if PANART stop the production (forever) and who will retune hangs in the future, of course if they QUIT.

Yeah, they are glorious persons, but would be great to know which would be their plan to keep alive the instrument and the tune process for who have one.

Felix Rohner and Sabina Schärer are not glorious persons. They are normal human beings who developed some special abilities in tuning steel and found a new instrument concept. To "keep alive" the Hang is an issue that can be resolved only step by step. And there isn't any guarantee that it will be successful. If the Hang makers would be killed shortly by an accident, this would be the end of the Hang until one or several persons begin to serously study the Hang and collect all the knowledge they can achieve and be successful in developing own skills in tuning a Hang.

There are millions of unsolved issues out there in the world and we have to live with them. The future of the Hang is just one more.

Ix

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:01 pm

Massimiliano wrote:
By the way you didn't answered me my last post... I'm curious to know your vision about the future of this instrument if PANART stop the production (forever) and who will retune hangs in the future, of course if they QUIT.

Hi,

I am not sure, that you read my answer on your postings carefully. As I said before...
I hope that Panart find a person, or persons with good qualifications and a similar philosophy. I know that Panart think also about the future of the Hang.
Maybe the Hang is like a nice flower and some day the beauty must gone? I dont hope this, but I am happy that I have the luck to see this flower "flourished" in the moment of beauty.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:48 pm

Hangover, you have not been judged & found wanting by Felix & Sabina. You have not had anything taken away from you. The good news is that YOU have created this drama and that means that YOU can create something better in its place when you decide to.

Many of us have received the same disappointing rejection letter from PanArt, myself included. Yes, I already own earlier generation hanghang but the Free Integral Hang would allow me to evolve along with the hang. That was my wish. I still expect to own a FIH some day. Till then I will stay alert to the sounds that call to me. There are so many enchanting sounds on the planet. Why not begin to explore them. The Halo is bringing much joy to many, as is the instrument from Bellart. Shift your focus from being an outcast to casting out into our wonderful world of sound. Exlpore. Before you heard the hang it did not exist for you. Listen. You will be enthralled with what you hear. There are other sounds calling out to you. Embrace them & your joy will return.
Saggio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:03 am

I agree with Saggio"s comment , i have also recieved the refusal e-mail and i will gather myself and reapply in the new year and in the mean time i'm keeping myself busy exploring new sounds and instruments .... By reading the forum i have become more awakened to the mind frame needed to be in tune to the Hang ...At least i have friends close with Hangs to share and play ...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:11 pm

Craig c 2 wrote:
i will gather myself and reapply in the new year ...

I too got the refusal email. As I (plus most the thousand other people) have already done the time, two-three years, I personally would have preferred to have been left waiting in the 'list' or waiting pool, whatever the correct word is, than to start the application process all over again.

Happy new year and to new beginnings

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:28 pm

metaldomes wrote:
Craig c 2 wrote:
i will gather myself and reapply in the new year ...

I too got the refusal email. As I (plus most the thousand other people) have already done the time, two-three years, I personally would have preferred to have been left waiting in the 'list' or waiting pool, whatever the correct word is, than to start the application process all over again.

Happy new year and to new beginnings

===============================================================================================
My understanding is that there is no longer an application process available to anyone who has received the rejection email.

Saggio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:21 am

My understand is that hang makers say to us... Thank you for waiting between 2 or 3 years... now we piss you off... "you'll never get a hang"

Cheers!

P.D: There's no list number in my personal opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:58 am

@Saggio, @Massimiliano:
You shouldn't read more into the text than exist in the text.

I think the biggest misunderstanding was to think there was a waiting list for a Hang.

There never was a waiting list for a Hang. There only were requests waiting for information.

Single requests exist and single answers.
The answers are:
A) "You are invited for an appointment to get your Hang."
B) "We cannot sell you a Hang."
C) "You will be informed later"

Only requests with answer C were filed to receive another information (not Hang!) later.

If someone receives answer A or B, his/her single request is answered and he/she isn't any longer on a list of filed requests that will receive further information.

Ix

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:01 pm

Ok Iskeys is what you are saying is true... I really hope so.

How you know that?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:20 pm

Massimiliano wrote:
Ok Iskeys is what you are saying is true... I really hope so.

How you know that?

Thanks

I'm watching the scene since early 2007, read all information that was sent out by PANArt, spoke with many persons who had received information or invitations for an appointment, spoke and e-mailed with the Hang makers on this topic several times over the years.

What I wrote is my conclusion of all that information I filed and combined.
You can reconstruct a lot of my continuous research when you look at the resources at http://www.hangblog.org/2006/11/27/the- ... net-index/ and old discussions in the Hang-Music Forum and here in the Hang Forum.

Ix

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:43 am

OK .. then after viewing many postings of the same refusal of request for a Hang , i guess the question is to those close to Felix & Sabina do we continue to reapply for HangHang in the future with the knowledge that we will be looked upon in a new light , or is the refusal final ? I ask this not to be con fronting but only wish to understand my position in this process . My thoughts seem to be mirrored by many interested Hang lovers and i feel that the forum is the ideal place to resolve this issue ... I have spent 5 years playing and performing with Hang and though i do not own one i am lucky that i can play up to 6 different tunings at one place ... However my passion for the instrument is such that i feel that to own one and play whenever i wish will give me full chance to achieve my sound on the Hang . My thanks to the faithful of the Hang .. Ciao Craig.c

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:50 pm

When you read the refusal message, you will find, that only one reason for the refusal is communicated: There are too many requests. Why especial you got the refusal message is not communicated.

Therefor nobody but you can give you any advice what you shall do in the future. Nobody else but you and PANArt is involved in this issue.

Ix

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:40 pm

Craig c 2 the situation with the PANART hang is just OUT OF CONTROL even Felix or Sabina didn't know which would be the future of their creation... they are flame of too many orders around the world, and they don't have a list, that's for me the must important reason of why they RESTART the acquisition process. This is a lottery process, if you get a hang... you are rich!...

Good luck! I will continue playing other instruments and trying do not be an obsessed person regarding the hang.

Jump to: