Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » Hang Topics

Post subject: The Hang Delusion
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:34 am

Our German friends Ixkeys/Michael and Funky/Frank repeatedly tell us that there is no list, nor has there ever been any kind of list.

I beg to differ.

I have here in my hands a letter from March 2008 written and signed by Felix Rohner and Sabina Schärer. If so desired I will supply you with a copy of this letter in order for you to be able to verify the authenticity of their signatures. In this letter the following statement stands out and I quote:

“Your letter will not be thrown away. If there will be a new edition of PANArt’s sound sculptures you will be on the list to get one of the traces of our work.”

What does this mean? It means that all these faithful people who have been waiting so very patiently for so many years, and who’s letters have now been thrown away, clearly have every right to feel not just disappointed but betrayed by the decisions that have recently been made by Felix Rohner and Sabina Schärer.

Why do I say “betrayed”? Why did their email/letter of 19 December hit so hard? Why did so many of us feel really hurt? Please allow me to enlighten you.

All of us regard the Hang as something very special. The Hang feels like a voice from the past that brings us in contact with some kind of cosmic harmony. Here on this forum Felix Rohner is often quoted saying: “The hang brings back what we lost: we are touched by an unknown call”, which certainly rings a bell (pardon the pun). The Hang somehow manages to awaken sensitivities we thought we had lost. In this cold and calculated society that we have created for ourselves, two people managed to bring back some warmth. Which may well be a first step on the long way back home.

Of course we all understand that two pairs of hands can produce only so many instruments. That is why all of us are willing to wait for many years and still remain enthousiastic about the Hang and loyal to its makers. The anticipation is a crucial part of the journey.

What so many of us fail to understand is the complete lack of compassion reflected in the letter that was sent to one and a half thousand enthousiasts by the Hangmakers on 19 December 2009. The efficiently short and icy-cold line “Unfortunately we must tell you that we are unable to sell you a Hang” is in total contradiction with the warm sentiments that all Hang-enthousiasts feel towards its makers. After so many years of loyalty towards the Hang and its makers, certainly none of us expected such a harsh and seemingly final rejection.

That brings us to the following question: are persons that are capable of such cold rejection towards their enthousiastic admirers still worthy of their support? And more importantly: are people who are capable of such indifferent cruelty still capable of receiving the proper signals needed to produce these wonderful instruments? Is the “inner resonance” to which the Free Integral Hang will be tuned still as unblemished as it has shown to be in the past? Since 19 December I feel I have reasons for doubt.

Once again the price of success appears to be rather high…

Post subject: Re: The Hang Delusion
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:26 pm

Hallo,

first I want to explain how I understand a "list". If I say, there was or is no list, it means that there is not a piece of paper where all the people who want a Hang are "listed" in a chronological order or in the order of their arrival.
There is not a list, where Panart can tell you "your number", on this list.
That is what I mean.
We all can only imagine how many letters Panart got every day. I am sure, that they read the letters, and that they collect the letters for a later handling.
I think this is not possible without a system. You can call this a "imaginary list".
I think this is the "list" Panart speak about in the letter you qoute @Hangover.
This letter confused a lot of people, because they thought the "if" means, that Panart maybe stop to build Hanghang.
This was one of the points who are lost in translation. I hope to find the letter in german language to compare the englisch and the german version.
It seems, that Panart used in the english letter words who weren't very clear and easy to misunderstood. I think this is lost in translation.
It is likely that Panart want to tell the people, that they got an information later and that the letter would be collected until this point.

Again. This is only MY! understanding. I cant speak for Panart. My opinion about that, is the result of talks with Felix and Sabina and watching the history of the Hang.

At the time where Panart wrote the letter you talk about @Hangover, they dont know that they open in 2010 a new chapter with the Free Integral Hang. I could only advise all Hang interested people to read the new letter from Panart about the Free Integral Hang very carefully.
There you find a lot of answers on your questions. There you could go a sense about Panart´s feelings.

http://www.hangblog.org/2009/11/21/lett ... mber-2009/

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:35 pm

Hangover wrote:
Our German friends Ixkeys/Michael and Funky/Frank repeatedly tell us that there is no list, nor has there ever been any kind of list.

This is correct and the motivation to insist on this information was, that I knew, that PANArt never had a list of Hang orders that had to be executed in a chronological order. I explained this in this post: viewtopic.php?p=3515#p3515

When you write a letter to PANArt you don't order a Hang. Writing a letter to PANArt means to inform them that you are interested to buy a Hang. Then it's up to PANArt to decide what to do with your request. They can offer you an appointment to get your Hang in the Hangbauhaus, they can tell you that they are not able to sell you a Hang or they can tell you, that your request is stored and that you will receive further information later.

The letter you quoted was one of the letters people receive to tell them that their requests were stored for further information. It was sent in Mai and June 2008. You are right that the formulation you quoted is very mistakable. It is possible that people think, that it is guaranteed that they will get a Hang later. But it was only meant that it is guaranteed that they will receive further information and that they possibliy can get a Hang. Felix Rohner told me some weeks after they sent out those letters that people misunderstood "the list". In following letters PANArt used clearer formulations. For example: "Your name and address will be filed and we will inform you about our activities at the end of the year." (March 2009)

If you became a victim of misunderstanding "the list", you can think that PANArt means ill and want to betray you. The alternative is to assume good faith. It's up to you.

Ix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:29 am

Hangover,

Your post was quite dramatic. You can't blame the Hangmakers, because they can't make enough Hangs for everyone who wants one. You are way too invested in getting a Hang. Maybe you need to get some personal issues worked out first before you continue pursuing a Hang. Maybe you should take up another musical instrument in the meantime...like a banjo. That's a really unusual folksy instrument. You could learn a few country songs and learn to play with a violin. It will be fun.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:53 pm

Hangover wrote:
“Your letter will not be thrown away. If there will be a new edition of PANArt’s sound sculptures you will be on the list to get one of the traces of our work.”

I'm impressed that just one sentence can be 'lost in translation' when the followup email in december(?) had so much specific information in it. I would also like to refer to the end of the above quote

Hangover wrote:
"you will be on the list to get one of the traces of our work.”

This obviously also got 'lost in translation'. When it said 'you will get one' it actually meant maybe, possibly, sometimes people get one and maybe possibly you might be one of those people but, hey, you might not - even though you may have waited a long time based on your interest, obsession, calling for a Hang - but that's life :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:06 am

RedHang wrote:
Hangover,

Your post was quite dramatic. You can't blame the Hangmakers, because they can't make enough Hangs for everyone who wants one. You are way too invested in getting a Hang. Maybe you need to get some personal issues worked out first before you continue pursuing a Hang.

I don't think we blame the hang makers for not being able to make enough hangs. There are other things in this world with similar supply and demand issues. We are people, however, who have patiently waited with the understanding that it will take years to get the final opportunity to obtain one.

redhang - I also think your reply was fairly disrespectful, I suggest counting to ten before replying next time :P - These are not personal issues, these are the expectation that you will be reasonable treated by the company that you are dealing with, not cast aside with a short and blunt email, and as I understand, even blocked from applying to panart again (as if I expect anyone to go through that again - lol).

Jump to: