Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » Hang Topics

Post subject: niggles and nastys
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:00 pm

Hi to all on the forum this is my first post but I've been lurking here for a while now.
I first heard the hang on youtube and thought I would never see one for real, I live in New Zealand which is a long way from Switzerland! Anyhow I've now heard the hang for real and it's more beautiful than anything I've heard but that's not the reason for this post.
I know I will never own a hang so I'm not going to put myself through the emotional rollercoaster of even writing a letter but what has really upset me is the way people on the forum talk to each other.
On one hand people talk about the hang being a spiritual journey, about it touching you, it's all about healing and peace and love and all the good things about humanity and then on the other hand you have hang owners slagging each other over really dumb things like how to play the hang and whether it should be used for busking or not. On top of that you also have hang owners being very holier than thou towards dissappointed people who have recently had rejection letters, It's very easy to sit back and be critical of others when you already have a hang in your hands.
Just because you own a hang dosn't make you a better or more spiritual or deserving person.
I posted this because some of you really need to take a good long look at yourselves.
Cheers,
Ka Kite,
Frazz

Post subject: Re: niggles and nastys
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:05 am

Hi frazzledfozzle,
welcome to the Hang Forum. Can you make your critique more concrete? Your general critique is quite hard and the problem is, that everybody or nobody will think that he or she is meant - the best way to generate heated discussions. If you criticize how others talk to others in this forum, you should consider first how you talk to them when you join the forum.

Ix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:09 am

Hi Ixkeys,
Thats a fair comment,
Just a few of the recent ones as examples.

from Redhang to Hangover posted on Jan18th
"Maybe you need to get some personal issues worked out first before you continue pursuing a Hang. Maybe you should take up another musical instrument in the meantime...like a banjo. That's a really unusual folksy instrument. You could learn a few country songs and learn to play with a violin. It will be fun"
An very condesending reply in my opinion.

This from Funky posted 3 jan
"Sorry Massimiliano, but with your behavior after the refusal letter from Panart, I could understand Panart, if they dont want to build a Hang for you,"
OK so Massimiliano was angry and had some rather negative stuff to say but I bet that Funky has a hang so hasn't felt the dissapointment that Massimiliano feels. People express their feelings in different ways it dosn't make them more or less worthy if they dont behave in the way that you or I or Funky would like.

and then in the world of sheetsteel sounds on nov 23 there's a huge long spiel from Werner and Funky thats too long to put in here but basically disses the makers of hang look alikes.
If people can't get a hang then some will be happy with something similar why is that such a bad thing? for me there's no contest, it would be a hang or nothing but I dont have a problem with others going for halos or bells or whatever.

There are many more examples Ixkeys but you wanted me to be more specific in my post.

I feel that for those of you who have a hang it's very easy to be critical of those who either lose their rag when they realise they wont be able to have one or who have purchased another type of steelpan.

I consider myself very lucky because I was able to hear the hang in the flesh which I thought would never happen, of course I would love one but I have my didgeridoo and my Native American style flute and I'm happy with that.

Cheers
Frazz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:54 am

Dear Frazzledfoozzle ( sorry for my bad english writing ),

I read you and i have juste this answer.
No....i'm not happy and this is not easy to read day after day people are sad about they have not possibility to buy a Hang.
But, first...this is the choice of PANArt and uit's more easy to accept that of battle against that. Second, when i write my letter 3 years ago...i made a "lacher prise' ( let's life goes on an i see what's happen ), seriously, i forget this letter and don't think about the Hang and the opportunity to buy one.
Third, Hang is not the only way to have a peacefull and happy life and certainly not in the musical way.
I have buy a Sansula few months ago and i feel the same thing ( about the energetic way ) when i play the Sansula or when i play the Hang...and play this instrument for people have the same effects.

Last thing, i hope i'm not "critical" about the attitude after people to have received "the letter" but just to find an other way to be happy without a Hang.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:15 pm

Hi Bruzaill,
I think you might have misunderstood me but thats ok.
I didn't get a rejection letter I've never applied for a hang or had any sort of contact with the hang makers.
I'm happy with what I have, a didgeridoo and a Native American style flute both of these are played from the heart this is the only way I play.
I can't read a stick of music and all the talk of things like Helmsholtz resonance,7 notes in the tone fields of F3, G3, G#3, C4, C#4, F4, G4. 8 tone field prototype (F3, G3, G#3, C4, C#4, F4, G4, G#4), missing the high G#. and things like this leave me cold I have no idea what they are talking about! :?
So I'm not sad or mad or confused.
I came across this forum after seeing the hang on youtube it was actually in a didgeridoo clip I didn't even know it existed 6 months ago!
So I was having a moan about the bitching that goes on from time to time but after having a look at more posts I realise that what I've said has been said before anyway.
So now I'm going to Google Sansula because I've never heard of that before either :!:
Cheers
frazz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:12 pm

Hi again Bruzaill,
I've just finished looking at the Sansula WOW thats really cool I like it alot.
No wonder you are happy with it.
thanks for opening my eyes to another beautiful thing Bruzaill :D
Cheers
Frazz

Jump to: