Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » Hang Topics

Post subject: Retuning
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:27 pm

Hi again! Sorry if I'm asking too many stpid questions ;)
Does anyone know how often The Hang needs to be retuned? or it must be retuned only if it get a dent or something like that?

Thanks a lot!!

Post subject: Re: Retuning
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:35 pm

It's different.
It depends on your playing style, how soft or hard you play it, how often you play the hang, busk or play at home. Most time the hang doesn't need a retunign very often if you play it soft with your hands.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:38 pm

I see.. So it's different for every Hang and every player?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:59 pm

I think so.

My hang doesn't need a retuning after one year. A friends hang needs more than one retuning a year, he plays very soft but more often than I play my hang. My hang is first generation, his hang is second generation. I don't know if the generation is important, but it is very different. Every hang is unique in my opinion.

Do you have a hang or do you think about buying one? If this question is allowed. You can test the hang with a guitar tuner.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:56 pm

In their repair information PANArt writes: "In the course of over eight years more than 6000 people have become Hang players. When these instruments come into hands of people who play them within the appropriate parameters, they do not go out of tune. Of those instruments that arrive at our workshop for repair, 99% have been damaged in various accidents – whether in transport or otherwise – or by violent playing."

If you have a Hang (a new one or just retuned) that is in balance and harmony and which's sound of the Gu-Ding-resonance satisfies you, you won't need any tuning for years - in my point of view - if you know how you have to handle your instrument and no accident will happen. I own my 2nd generation Hang (2007) since 2,5 years and its tuning is 100% ok. And I assume it will stay in tune the next 2,5 years too.

There is another effect that is quite more interesting: The sound of a new Hang will "grow" when it is played with respect, sensitivity and knowledge. There are interdependent developments between the instrument and its player. My Hang has now in 2010 a "bigger" sound than when I got it in August 2007. This is of course the result of my increased intuitive skills in touching my Hang but also a changing of the ability of the Hang to sound.

By the way: PANArt updated the repair information a few days ago. Besides changes of the prices PANArt now states explicitly that they "will not enter into any contract or agreement with owners who have – through speculation – purchased or sold a hang at a higher price than the original sales price". And an agreement is necessary for any owner who wants his/her Hang be tuned.

In the updated repair information PANArt also states explicitly that they tune only PANArt instruments.

Ix

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:54 am

For my great sadness I've been waiting for 1,5 years and recieve rejection on 19 december..

But I still don't lose my hope!!! I still writing to PANArt every month or two and if they won't answer me till summer I'll perform a journey to them. (I live in Russia, so "journey" is the right way))

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:55 am

Z.Greek wrote:
I still writing to PANArt every month or two and if they won't answer me till summer I'll perform a journey to them. (I live in Russia, so "journey" is the right way))

Imagine you was Felix or Sabina and received a monthly letter from a guy called Z.Greek. What would you do?

Ix

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:36 pm

It is very strongly depends on what was written in the message. Cause I don't just write that I want Hang, I write them about me and my thoughts about all this situation and Hang in general and ask for a chance to persude them. just a chance.
At least they could give me a strict "No, you'll never get the Hang", even this is better than silence.

P.S: finally I don't sign Z.Greek ;))

Jump to: