Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » Hang Topics

Post subject: any news on the FIH yet?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:10 pm

I've been "hanging out" for news and reviews of the FIH has no one got one yet?
any on out there have any links to FIH audio files or youtube video or anything!
Cheers
Frazz

Post subject: Re: any news on the FIH yet?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:26 pm

Hi Frazz,

yes, a lot of people got their new Hang in the last weeks. It is likely, that we could find a video on youtube soon.
Maybe the Free Integral Hang is more for people who would listen first to the Hang and later they will show it the audience?! ;)
At the moment a lot of Hanghang find the way in the hands of people.
Every day are visitors in the Hanghouse. It is a good time for the Hang.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:58 pm

I want to encourage the new owners of a Free Integral Hang to be careful with their new relationship between themselves and their Hang. This is something that needs a quiet place. It needs respect and an open ear. The Hang needs a new culture of participation of listeners. It is not an instrument for the stage. It is not an instrument to make precipitant YouTube videos.

Ix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:54 am

Ixkeys give me a break! this is getting more rediculous every day just listen to yourself! who the hang are you to tell anyone how they should play and what they should feel when they play it Blah Blah Blah.
For something thats supposed to be setting people free and connecting them to their inner self there sure are a hang of alot of rules!.
Give me strength this is just absurd!
To those who read my post please forgive me for asking where I might hear an audio clip of the FIH as obviously if you have any sort of connection and reverance for it you wont be sharing it with the world, so stay in your lounges and bedrooms and backyards and play to your hearts content and I will go flay myself with the whipping stick I keep for just this sort of occasion!
Ka Kite'
Frazz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:03 am

Frazz, I'm not in the position to legislate. I write my opinion and insight as a Hang player. Everyone can do what he or she thinks is the best way for himself or herself.

Ix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:57 am

Some additional hints according your starting question, Frazz:

The Free Integral Hang is given to its owners since three weeks now. There currently are about 90 new owners. These are very few owners and it is a very short time.

In the past new owners of a Hang occasionally made YouTube videos shortly after they got it to present themselves and their Hang. In many cases this was not a good presentation. It doesn't make sense to produce a video to present a musical instrument, when this production is not able to present it adequately. People will get a wrong understanding what this instrument is and who the player is. And it will put the player in the public becoming a target of praise or critique.

I think this is not good for someone who just began his or her way with the Hang. Therefor my recommendation to be careful with the public.

I think we shouldn't await a flood of Free Integral Hang videos in the next time. And we shouldn't encourage people to produce videos thoughtlessly.

There will be more information on the Free Integral Hang in the future. I'm working at this at http://www.hangblog.org. But time and accuracy is needed. Quality is more important than promptness.

Ix

Last edited by Ixkeys on Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:01 am

As with all instruments you get your traditional ideas on how it should be played, I've battled enough in the past with Didjeridu enthusiast LOL :) IX shares PANarts view that the instrument is a solo instrument to be played on its own in a quiet space where the true beauty of each note can be heard... to some extent I would agree, but thats any instrument for a solo player... if you want to hear the true beauty of the instrument istelf then you would choose a quiet place to sit and play... people listening would be quiet and you end up on your musical journey hearing every tone, note and harmonic... thus a beautiful and calming experience.

However these idealistic ways cannot be forced upon everyone, people will choose their own path and IX knows that, he's just trying to guide people into getting to know their FIH before they rush into making music videos or jumping on stage.

On the Didje scene here in the UK there are a lot of people who pick up a didje, get a drone and before you know it they've made a CD and are selling it at festivals... they've not taken the time to get to know their instruments and it really does show in their recording, everone needs to take time to get to know their instrument and the only way to really get to know it is to spend time with it, on your own, listening and learning... I think this is what IX is getting at :?:

Just to add to a different view to the conversation, I was told that next 300 people to recieve a FIH would not be people who want to meet up with other Hang players, they were not people who would be interested in jamming..... I beg to differ on this as 3 FIH owners have already bought tickets to the HangOut and are looking forward to meeting other Hang owners so that goes to show that we are all different and that people do like to get together and play.

I understand the need to sit and play in a quiet place... I am not a jamming person, I play on my own with my Hang and I love to sit out in nature around a fire at night and play Hang for my friends, its a very calming experience but I understand and appreciate both sides of the musical kaleidoscope, I love to hear Hang, I love to meet up with people, I love to hear music and people jamming ... having fun, enjoying themselves and so the HangOut music weekend.

To keep with the wishes of PANart we have created a quiet place at this years HangOut, a place for only Hang to be played... we'll see how it goes and let you know, i'm sure many people will utelize the space :)

Feel the love people... feel the love :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:10 am

Hi,

Ixkeys made a good suggestion for all Hanglayers.
@Frazz. Where is the problem. It is a suggestion and not a "directive".
The Hang needs this quite place and a inner connection between Hang and Hangplayer.
Do you think you find these inner connection on Youtube or is it likely, that you find these connection on a quite place?
You , your Hang on your lap, open ears, open heart...
Free from any standarts and musical rules.

That means not, that you cant play for listeners. But on a big stage you cant listen to the Hang. Also in a loud city on the street. You cant listen to the Hang. Of course you can listen to complex and heavy to play rhythm.
But what do you hear from the Hang?
Also on Youtube. What do you feel? You listen only to your PC Speakers. Do you think, that there is much from the real Hang sound and energy to listen?

This was the suggestion from Ixkeys. The Hang need these playing culture or let me say "listening culture".
This is also a topic on the Hanghouse in these days. Beliefe me.
I think and hope that the future Hangplayers listen a little bit more on the Hang, and not so much on viruosity of their playing.
I understand the fun to make youtube videos. You could find also a few from myself on youtube.
This is a kind of self-expression. Normally musicians are playing on the stage and earn the applause from the audience. Today anybody could go on the youtube stage.
On this stage the "idols" are musicians who could play ... fast, complex rhythms, polyrythms, nice composed music pieces....

All that you dont need to play Hang. You are free from the normally musical rules. On youtube you are on the stage in a kind of competition with other musicians. You are there, because you want to earn the applause.
Or not?

People understand, that playing the Hang has another aspect. It opens possibilities far from self-expression, viruosity, musical rules.
So, it is a good suggestion from Ixkeys not to go on the big Youtube Stage with the Free Integral Hang. Not to fast. And maybe it is better never go on these stage. The Hang is an very personally instrument. I dont find the best english translation for "Bescheidenheit, bescheiden".... but I think as an allegory for "lowly, little house...."
Go in this "house", close the door and the window, you alone with your Hang. Forget the audience, forget Youtube, forget any piece of music you ever heard and start to listen!

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:00 am

Frank, yes, this is exactly how I read Ixkey's post. It was full of hope & guidance & clarificatioon about this hang that we all love. I'm grateful for both you & Ixkeys. Listening to the hang has led me to ever quieter places within and without.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:05 am

Hi Ixkeys and Frank,
I understand now what you are saying but can you not play a hang in the quietness of your own home and still have it taped for youtube or where ever?
I dont think people go on youtube to compete, maybe some do but many dont.
the reason I wanted to hear something audio was because the chances of me hearing one in the flesh so to speak is very slim.
I guess you have heard one already?
maybe even played one?
would you not be dissappointed if you lived on the other side of the world and may never hear one?
I hope there is at least one FIH owner out there that will one day post a video so that those who can't hear it in the flesh may hear it on the net.
Cheers
Frazz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:43 am

frazzledfozzle wrote:
but can you not play a hang in the quietness of your own home and still have it taped for youtube or where ever?

This is not an easy task! On the one hand there are technical difficulties to get recorded the sound of a Hang of the 2nd generaton or later played with its full potential in a video.

On the other Hand it is my experience of the last year with my Hang that a space of freedom and stillness is needed. I occasional thought: Wow, it would be worth to record what just happens between me and my Hang to demonstrate others what is possible with the Hang, because I know that the Hang is so often misrepresented in YouTube videos. But in the same moments I knew that it wasn't possible to catch that moments. The attempt to catch the moment can destroy it.

This is the main reason why I made no record or video in the last months, although I see that there is a lack of demonstration of some very important aspects of Hang playing in the public. I've learned that the sharing of such experiences needs a space of stillness, freedom and respect in a personal situation without any force of presenting, praise or critique.

And this is the moment to answer to your second question:

frazzledfozzle wrote:
would you not be dissappointed if you lived on the other side of the world and may never hear one?

Yes, this is really a big problem. It needs the personal presence to experience a Hang. And when you are on the one side of the world and the Hang is on the other side, it IS a problem. It is interesting to know and can help to understand the Hang of the last few years that PANArt decided to return back to their practice of 2007, that any Hang buyer has to come personally to the Hanghaus to chose his or her Hang. They sent Integral Hanghang to buyers who were not able or willing to come personally in 2008 and 2009. But the experience of the Hang makers was, that this doesn't work. Each Hang is such an individual that it needs personal presence to decide whether you want to get it and which of the individual you want to take with you. And in fact people on the other side of the world are disadvantaged. European people are privileged. But this is not a problem caused by the Hang or PANArt but by the geographic size of the earth.

Ix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:30 pm

Saggio wrote:
Frank, yes, this is exactly how I read Ixkey's post. It was full of hope & guidance & clarificatioon about this hang that we all love. I'm grateful for both you & Ixkeys. Listening to the hang has led me to ever quieter places within and without.

Hallo,

thank you Saggio. :)

It is good to know that people read what I wrote with "good will".
I know, that a lot of my real thoughts are lost in translation. It seems, that a few people are searching for such points in my postings. This people speak from peace, love and happiness all the time, but they use any chance to spread hate and frustration.
This is for me very sad.
This forum is an open place for anybody to share the love for the Hang. It is a good place to connect people all over the world.

All what i say is ever only my opinion. If i make a suggestion it is nothing more as an suggestion. I am not making "Rules".
But I think it is worth to make these suggestions, because I am confident with my thoughts. But I have an open ear and I read carefully the thoughts and opinions from other members. I think about everything and learn a lot.
We can learn from each other.
That I run this forum, means not that my opinions are automatically outweigh the opinions from other people. I am not in the position and I dont want to make any kind of regulations.
For sure I am not willing to close my mouth or change my opinions only because of the "peace, love and happiness..."
All who meet me in person will see very easy, that I am full of peace. I always search for peace and freedom. So, it is hurtful if people want to pigeonhole me with the greatest criminals in world history only because I life in germany.

All what I do is to share my opinions and my knowledge about the Hang. I know that people find together in the real world about this forum. That makes this forum important and valuable.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:42 am

[/quote] So, it is hurtful if people want to pigeonhole me with the greatest criminals in world history only because I life in germany.

[/quote]

...now I dont want to stir things up anymore than they already are, but thats more than a little paranoid IMO. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:53 am

Max, perhaps you cannot sympathise with someone who is called a Nazi or dictator with the explicit explanatory statement that he is a German (and that happened recently and in the past several times by certain persons), because you are not a German.

I think it is better just to take note of what Frank communicates about his feelings instead of calling it paranoia. It is not easy to stay calm when such statements are made about you. So don't throw oil on the fire.

Ix

Jump to: