Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » Hang Topics

Post subject: Free Integral Hang. Pictures
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:23 am

Hallo,

on Hangblog are very good pictures from the new Free Integral Hang.
The article is at the moment only in german. Englisch is coming soon.
But, a picture is worth a 1000 words.

http://www.hangblog.org/das-freie-integ ... g-im-bild/

Greetings
Frank

Post subject: Re: Free Integral Hang. Pictures
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:55 am

Oh my God.. It's just wounderful! I can't wait to hear it's sound somewhere)

Lot's of thank's for this link!!! =)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:05 pm

Ooooooooo.

Are there any recordings online yet?

:: three cheers for singing steel! ::

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:38 am

Wash your mouth out Aaron,
The FIH is not meant to be played for the titavation of the general public
It's meant to be played in private for your own enlightenment not on the internet for the great unwashed to listen too.
At least thats what I was told when I asked the same question!
Cheers
frazz

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:25 am

Hallo,

@frazzle.

I think you dont want to understand anything. Nobody said, that the Hang is an instrument to find enlightenment.
To play the Hang for other people could be a very beautiful and nice event, if you have fortunate circumstances.
A quiet place, where people realy can listen. An mindful audience. Not very big distance between the Hangplayer and the listener. No amplifier........
But this is again only a suggestion. If you dont want to feel the Hangsound and only want to make music, you could go on big stages. The audience will hear the loudspeakers and not feel the Hang. On youtube the most from the energy is lost.
So, it is very likely that a lot of Free Integral Hangplayers are aware of that, because they listen to the Hang and feel, that it is not the best situation to waste the energy.

@Aaron.

So far as I know there are no recordings at the moment.
Remember the first Integral Hang recordings, for example on youtube.
Do you hear a very big difference between the second generation Hang and the Integral Hang sound? For my ears there is not a big difference on the first moment. But, if you hear it in real you could feel very easy that there is a lot of more power in the Integral Hang. I feel this as a deep wave or vibration in my body when I play on my Integral Hang. Much more as on my second generation Hang.
I think the difference between Integral Hang and Free Integral Hang will also not so big on an recording. To play or listen in live is another situation.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:11 pm

I tried a number of Free Integral Hanghang and have to say that I couldn't tell a difference in terms of sonic quality. It's just the pitch that is different.. And ofcourse, they all have their own character. The unique pitch of each Hang increases the difference in personality they have. Also quite a lot of them felt like they had a bit shorter sustain then my Integral, but maybe mine is just very singy. A lot of them felt / sounded very smoothe and mellow. I especially liked the lower pitched ones (lower then the 'regular' Integral) as it had a more calming effect one me. Very nice the FIH, not that we'd expect anything less ofcourse :).

BTW Frank, I find the sound of the Hang live so delicate and subjective, you can never get it the same. Just turning the Hang in my lap - while playing the exact same thing - makes it sound completely different to my ears. Also the distance and position a listener has relative to the Hang makes such a difference in how the sound waves hit you.. Even though a lot of the magic gets lost on Youtube, does that mean ppl shouldn't post on there? The sound that remains after recording and all that compression can still be lovely - even if it's not like live. And if recorded with proper mics (and played back on proper speakers or good headphones) you can make a reasonable approach to the Hang sound that can be very enjoyable.

I would like to encourage all new Free Integral hang owners to be free with their Hang and play / touch / be touched by it the way they want or are.. Just don't spank it, Felix and Sabina are very busy, and your Hang will sound better when touched a bit more gently.. Apart from that, enjoy the freedom!

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:43 am

Hallo,

pulpfiction1 wrote:
. Also quite a lot of them felt like they had a bit shorter sustain then my Integral, but maybe mine is just very singy.

It is maybe interesting to know, that any Hang reach his full potential after a while of playing. Sabina used the term "cream cheese" for a new build Hang, I played in the Hanghouse on my last visit.
Like a cheese a Hang needs a little bit time. I think it is the same with any musical instrument. If you play it, it gets better and better.

pulpfiction1 wrote:
Even though a lot of the magic gets lost on Youtube, does that mean ppl shouldn't post on there? The sound that remains after recording and all that compression can still be lovely - even if it's not like live. And if recorded with proper mics (and played back on proper speakers or good headphones) you can make a reasonable approach to the Hang sound that can be very enjoyable.

I have also a few videos from me on youtube. After a few years of playing my Hang and watch a lot of youtube videos, I made a few observations.
From a musician standpoint it is interesting to see what other people do with the Hang. I have also a few CD´s with Hang music in my home.
My Hifi equipment is not so bad, but what I hear is "only" nice music.
I cant feel the Hangsound. And this is, what the Hang makes so special for me.
A few days ago I played on my Hang for a few people. A woman said to me, that she could feel the Hang very deep. She said to me, that this has nothing to do with the melodys I play. I understand what she said. I have maybe a similar feeling if I hear a live Hang, but not on Cd´s or Youtube.

I think the most people watch youtube videos with small computer speakers. I am also.For me more than 80 % of the Hangsound is lost on this videos.
There are a lot of people in the world watching this videos and they have never heart a Hang in real. They like the music and this is great.

I think we have a lot of nice musical instruments in the world. I am a guitar player and drummer. I listen a lot of music. Jazz, Rock, Funk a little bit classical music.
Where is the place for the Hang in this context? The Hang has only eight notes. Of course you have millions of sounds to play, but only eight notes.
If you listen to a CD with only one Hang scale it is after a while totally boring. If people own different Hanghang it is a little bit more variety.
So, as the leading melody instrument in an musical context you cant do very much with only one Hang.
For the percussion part in music it is to fragile. There are thousands of better instruments in the world for that.

The potential inside the Hang is in my eyes another. And not only in mine. I remember, that PANArt dont tune the new Hanghang with a standart tuning.
It is likely, that owner of the new Free Integral Hang are searching more the "other" aspect.
The Hang could be a tool to find balance for your own life, for example.
It could be a place to find silence in a chaotic and hectic word. A lot of people found a very personally connection to the Hang. The Hang could be helpfull to connect your inner self.
This is far from esoteric and maybe not easy to understand for anybody.
To make these experiences is not possible with a camera infront of you, or a lot of microfones in a recording studio. This is time to make music.
Nothing wrong with this. I am also musician. But personally I dont need the Hang to make music.

The best moments are if I dont play the Hang, but the Hang play me.

I think it is very likely that we dont see so fast a lot of youtube videos with the Free Integral Hang. Not because it is a kind of "rule", but because of another understanding about the Free Integral Hang.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:10 pm

When I was at the Hanghaus earlier this year, the FIH's I heard all shared the same pitch relationships between notes as the IH. This is what you'd call the scale. The pitches themselves just aren't 440hz anymore. Whether tuned a bit higher or lower, and thus getting a different character, the scale remains the same. For the IH the scale is D) A Bb C D E F A, tuned at 440hz. It can be regarded as an Ake Bono scale with an added C. As far as I understand one of the main reasons this scale was chosen is because it is thought as being the best sounding scale in the geometry of the Hang. All the sounds tie together, ding and gu side, helmholz resonance, therefor 'Integral'. This Integral scale, while being a beautiful scale, is itself 'just' a scale. The Ding and tone fields are notes of that scale. When touched, they make sounds. Sounds can be used for a lot of things. Just as the human voice can be used for whispering, talking, singing, humming, shouting, etc.

Quote:
It could be a place to find silence in a chaotic and hectic word. A lot of people found a very personally connection to the Hang.

I definitely have found the Hang to be that place at times, and when I feel the need I revisit that place. Often this happens to me when I pick the Hang up just before going to bed :). I agree the best moments are if I don't play the Hang, but the Hang plays me. Unfortunately it cannot be Christmas every day. Often I am doing fine but just feel like hearing the sound of my Hang, feel like playing. I then sit down and make music with my Hang.

Quote:
I think we have a lot of nice musical instruments in the world. I am a guitar player and drummer. I listen a lot of music. Jazz, Rock, Funk a little bit classical music. Where is the place for the Hang in this context?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17ojj7tgrqw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkh6gbj4ypc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6u7wmXcD2Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrJVUsnsimw

Ofcourse these are just 4 examples of people using their Hanghang in a musical context. I could give loads of others which I enjoy a lot. I think most Hang players will agree that quite a bit of the special Hang sound is lost hearing it on Youtube. But what is the problem if people enjoy the sound that is left? I know loads of people do, me being one of them. Despite of being aware of how the sound is live. My answer to your question in the previous quote would be; as the instrument with the most beautiful sound in the world :).

What is the problem with making music with a Hang? Did the Hang become better or bigger than music along the way? Music can touch people in lots of ways, and it can be very profound. They say music is life, and I agree. At the end of the day, people are free to do as they want. As long as people don't bang it like a drum, I try not pass judgements, or have an opinion about everything.. Life is short and there are more important things to worry about ;) !

Peace :)

Last edited by pulpfiction1 on Wed May 05, 2010 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:47 pm

I tried to write a longer answer to this topic, but I'm a bit frightened that someone will misunderstand me because of my bad English...

So I only have to say that the best moments with my Hang are those, when the Hang plays me and not me the Hang. But sometimes it is only music that comes out, not every day is a good "Hangday" for me. But I love my Hang in every way and enjoy every sound of it, even if it is just music sometimes.
The Hang is a place for me to calm down, to get away from it all and I really love it.

Every player choose its own way for the Hang, even if PANArt shows a way. That's life, and no one can change it... Even if I don't like the ways from some other Hangplayer, I am not able to change their mind.
Sorry if I bother someone with my opinion...

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:45 pm

beatzekatze wrote:
I tried to write a longer answer to this topic, but I'm a bit frightened that someone will misunderstand me because of my bad English...

So I only have to say that the best moments with my Hang are those, when the Hang plays me and not me the Hang. But sometimes it is only music that comes out, not every day is a good "Hangday" for me. But I love my Hang in every way and enjoy every sound of it, even if it is just music sometimes.
The Hang is a place for me to calm down, to get away from it all and I really love it.

Every player choose its own way for the Hang, even if PANArt shows a way. That's life, and no one can change it... Even if I don't like the ways from some other Hangplayer, I am not able to change their mind.
Sorry if I bother someone with my opinion...

I´m pretty sure that your are not bothering anyone with your opinion here ;)... And yes, you are right. I have my Hang for a good month now and I noticed also that there are good and bad Hangdays. Well, I wouldn´t even say that this is for a whole day. It´s more in particular situations when I got this feeling. And in this situation I´m playing the Hang, and not the Hang playing me. Then I put the Hang away to finish some work or what ever. After that I am again playing the Hang again and suddenly it´s a complete different feeling to play. Maybe the Hang is telling you in this way, that there are some other important things in the world and you should also focus on that... ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:25 pm

No one is alone... i think everyone goes through good and bad hang days, its like that for me with most instruments i pick up and play, sometimes I can sit and play the guitar with my 4 chords I know and I rock like the ghost of Henrdix ( in my head anyway), other times I sound utterly rubbish and cannot get into the flow of it at all, same with Didje, flute and whistle.... it can depend on your mood, subconciouness and general wellbeing on any given day.

Frank is just airing his opinion on how he thinks the Hang should be played... and to some extent I have to agree, until you sit and really listen to the Hang in a quiet space and play totally accoustically you never really hear all the beauty of the Hang.

Live performances from singers... you go to a concert its the best damn night ever the songs were great, you sang along and the music filled your heart with joy... listen to the same concert again that was recorded or is on youtube and you wonder if you were at the same place, they never sound as good LOL :)

IX said a quiet room at night, your senses are heightened at night, sounds are always louder after dusk and I agree with this, for me sitting around a fire in the garden at night with everyone just listening to what you're playing, its wonderful & natural, its times like this when the Hang plays you.

One thing I will say to folk like beatzekatze who are worried about backlash, never be afraid to air your views of your opinion, that is all they are and yeah people will judge you for them, just stay true to your thoughts and do not enter into the negative conversations that take place... its not worth it, everyone has a valued opinion and as long as people respect that we're all different and that different opinions are what being human is all about then we should all get on, in one way or another.

Jump to: