Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » Hang Topics

Post subject: Advice please - microphone/s for hang
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:21 am

Hey hangsters,

We have had discussion in another thread about microphones for recording the hang.
But I am now questioning best microphone situation for performing on stage. Would it be similar as for recording?

A sound guy at a recent gig we played at had a few different ideas of what might work well and mentioned:

- Condenser might be too sensitive
- Might be better having two standard mics
- Might work to buy a drum kit mic set, which has a kick drum mic, 2 little mics (I can't
remember the name of - thin, pencil-like mics), and two standard drum mics. I could use the
spare little mics for sansula and harp maybe

I also need vocal mic so aim to be able to be able to keep mics to a minimum (so I am not buried in mics) but be able to have good sound for hang and voice. At the moment I tend to have two mics - one on each side - and when I add vocal I turn one to my mouth and rely on just one mic for the hang - not ideal. Not keen on a headset either.

Our budget it not abundant at present, and the current sound system we are using (borrowed from a friend) has 6 inputs, 2 of which are already used for my partner and the Raagini or ipod. We will need to buy a sound system at some stage and will aim for more inputs.

Any thoughts?
All suggestions appreciated.
Cheers,
:D

Jump to: