Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » Hang Topics

Post subject: Finally heard a FIH in person...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:26 pm

...and it was surpassingly lovely.

I almost wrote "heard THE FIH" but I realized right away that was not a correct formulation. My understanding (such as it is) is that it is part of the essence of the FIH that each is formed in relationship to itself, following the architecture but not the reference point of any other -- so each is unique, and none may speak in the abstract or generalization for all.

The one I heard was Laura Inserra's, she brought it to a magical event that happens on Summer Solstice each year here in the Bay Area. She and I have both performed there many times. This year, I performed duets with duduk and Halos (also, tanpura, sruti, and field recordings I have recorded); and she performed on Hanghang and in duet with tabla etc.

Because I was performing most of the night (for the event, one wanders a labyrinth in a magic building, encountering dozens of performers and musicians tucked into small rooms, gardens, chambers...) I was only able to hear/see for a moment, sadly.

She was taking a small break and describing a bit of the history of the Hang, and had examples of first generation, IH, and now FIH. She used the word 'watery' to describe the quality of her FIH, and I have to agree; there was an unexpectedly 'liquid' sound that did not disrupt the purity of each tone field. The sustain was less than I expected (being very used to the very long 'bloom' on my own second generation in the IH tuning), but all was in excellent balance.

I did not have a chance to ask if she selected it in person, but assume she did. It was definitely a Hang of the very first caliber.

It was tuned a bit flat of C#, by her own description, which I have to say is in accord with my own tastes -- I find the lower register brings out a fullness that I particularly resonate with (ha ha). I could not hear (at a distance) a strong effect in the reshaping of the Ding. The new, uniformly dark finish is very elegant. It certainly seemed to be the most nuanced and refined Hang I have seen.

Blessed indeed are those invited to select a FIH!

I look forward to hearing more -- and especially, to hearing more of Laura's, as she is my favorite player, and this instrument is sure to reveal much in her hands. :)

...a field report from Oakland, CA...

aaron

:: three cheers for singing steel! ::

Post subject: Re: Finally heard a FIH in person...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:39 pm

Thank you! What a beautiful sharing, in which you have painted a very lovely picture. It is delightful to hear this, though I'm sure nowhere near as delightful as hearing the FIH!
(She will have chosen it herself as buyers must go to hanghaus to choose their instrument.)

Post subject: Re: Finally heard a FIH in person...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:31 am

samjjana wrote:
(She will have chosen it herself as buyers must go to hanghaus to choose their instrument.)

I hadn't heard that that was once again a requirement... though with such potential variation between one FIH and another it would certainly be understandable (and wise!)! I've heard they vary more than a half step in either direction off the IH's D Ding...

aaron

:: three cheers for singing steel! ::

Jump to: