Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » Hang Topics

Post subject: Hang and overtone singing
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:59 am

Hi HangHang,
has anybody experiences with (western overtone singing) while hang playing, or are there videos to watch ?

Im playing hang for about 1 1/2 year, overtone singing I try regularly and now I tried to combine, just a smal Scale: Ding, A,D,a and some vocal harmonics with overtones.

Its a kind of variation to didgeridoo and hang. Has anyone tried this ?

I just read the Books of Wolfgang Saus and Jonathan Goldman again and I found interesting correspondences between Hang and Overtone singing.

Have fun with your Hang and the sun (not combined...)

Martin

Post subject: Re: Hang and overtone singing
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi Martin,

Not sure if overtone singing is the same as harmonic throat singing, but we have experimented with the latter, with a guy from Japan. We have a short piece on video (voice and hang) that we have recently done, but it's not on our YouTube Channel (samjjana1) yet. We intend to post it over the next week or two. Having said that, with the subtlety of the harmonics in the voice and the basic recording device we had access to, it's a bit of a challenge to hear the harmonics fully. Sounded great in the room though...

If that is of interest to you, I can try to remember to let you know when it is posted, but if you don't hear, just keep an eye on our channel for when it comes up.

Cheers
:D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:37 am

Hi Samjjana,
there a at least two kinds of singing with overtones,
the ancient eastern way "chomei", the "Tuva" voices and Sainkha for example und the new western way, which was invented by Karl Heinz Stockhausen 1965 and now is sung by Michael Vetter, Christian Bollmann in Germany, David Hykes, Jill Purce in the USA for example .
I dont know the exact words in englisch, the differenz in German is a) harmonic throat singing= Kehlkopfgesang= Chomei is used for the eastern way
b) overtone singing = Obertongesang for the western way.
A very good page is http://www.oberton.org by Wolfgang Saus, who made an excellent book also.

Thank you for the video tip ! I am waiting for it...

Martin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:11 am

Okay, thanks for the explanation.
:)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:19 am

Hi again,
I have posted the hang and throat singing on our YouTube channel.
I decided better not to post it because you just can't hear the harmonics properly and it generally doesn't feel good enough to be on there, but then I thought I would put in on just for long enough for you to have a look, seeing as I said I would!
Let me know once you've taken a look and then I will remove it.
Cheers,

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:20 am

Sorry... forgot to include the URL... http://www.youtube.com/user/samjjana1

!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:06 pm

You find equally an european overtoning singer on this video. Bruno Bieri play hang for many years and sing overtoned.
It was swiss and live in Bern like Felix and Sabina the Hangmakers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJusI7nacQc

It was an highlights of his works and the "overtone part" begin at 5.40 just for few seconds but the results is interresting.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:46 am

Hi again,
I have changed the video so it is not public, so if you want to view it, the link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkMOXi2NiU4
Should have thought of that in the first place, but better late than never...
Will check out the other video soon.
Cheers from Oz...

Jump to: