Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » Miscellaneous

Post subject: Re: Didgeridoo
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:45 pm

Kelly wrote:

I've never heard of any indiginous tribes that claim women cannot play the Didjeridu, and believe me I am sensitive to their cultural ways. I've only been playing Didje for 6 years so do not claim to be an authority on the matter but this conversation has come up countless times on the various Didje fourms I frequent and people that have direct contact with the indiginous tribes of Australia and they have always accepted women to play the Didjeridu. Only during ceremonial activites are women usually forbidden to play the Yidaki.

Most cultural divides are caused by Western society trying to over protect these indiginous cultures and making claims on their behalf, most of which are untrue and only lead to a greater divide.

Hi Kelly,

from how many tribes you know of,?
we have almost 500 here +there own language.
I know the Bundjalung and the Yuggera people, and I listen careful what they tell me.
Women do not play Didgeridoo.
I can tell you why,but not on the Net,-Mensbusiness!
To play Didge, you need more than circular breathing.
What is your intent when you play?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:29 am

What i now do not understand is that because one tribe say no to women playing the didjeridu yet many others do allow it does this mean that all women should not play?? Sorry, as I said before I think, I have only been playing for 6 years and by no means consider myself an expert in the field, I only pass on information that I have attained from the many people I know here in the European community.

I do not play Didje to just circular breath? I play it as percussive instrument in a very 'Western Style' which to most Aboriginals of course sounds like an aeroplane in trouble ;) I cannot and will never be able to play true Yidaki, I don't pretend to, i'm not Aboriginal, nor would I ever take their culture lightly I have nothing but utmost respect for any indiginous tribe, in Oz and around the world.

It sounds to me as if I i've upset you in some way Floatilla and this was never my intention, I was just answering a question that was posed to the best of my knowldge and from the many conversations that I have had with people who have spent significant time in Australia with various clans.

My own personal contact with any aboriginal community is with Yolngu people, I also know that there are many clans throughout Australia, all with their own language and most of whom Didjeridu plays no part in their culture, it seems that you're not happy with Frank's wife learning to play the Didjeridu?

I sat once with Mark Atkins (from the Yamitji people of Western Australia) and Charlie McMahon at a Didjeridu festival that's held in the UK every year, I spent a lot of time with them asking them various questions etc and one question that arose was women playing the Didjeridu.... the question arose due there being several female Didjeridu players performing at the festival and Mark's answer was that it was OK... he explained the ceremonial issues as well as going into detail about the white fella's who think they know what's best for the Aboriginal culture yet exploit their art, their Didjeridu's and their people...

I obviously stand corrected that everyone is happy with women playing Didjeridu (again I refer to my own limited knowledge from the last 6 years), but does that mean that because one tribe doesn't like it that all women shouldn't play? Surely it comes down to be sensitive in the presence of anyone from those tribes?

If we ever get to meet in person Floatilla then maybe that mens business is something we can have a good chat about, i'm incredibly interested in Aboriginal culture and the many cultures within, I want to learn but being 12,000 or so miles away from it makes it difficult to know every detail about every culture within.

It's not my intention to upset anyone with my comments, just trying to learn along the way and to educate those with what I know :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:45 am

G'day Kelly,

yes,we should hook up. :) Perhaps on Skype or someting.
I play the Didge since '93.The Yolngu people in NT have a lot of
Artist among them in Film/Music and Dance.
Even there, is no female Yidaki or Didgeplayer.
Anyway,we should Skype.Let me know if you wanna. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:51 am

Floatilla wrote:
The Yolngu people in NT have a lot of
Artist among them in Film/Music and Dance.
Even there, is no female Yidaki or Didgeplayer.

Maybe not in the public eye as a performer but many women of the Yolngu people help to source wood for Didjeridu's, they make them, paint them and play them as a past time and enjoyment for themselves though... :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:31 am

Tree.....
he watching you.
You look at tree,
he listen to you.
He got no finger,
he can't speak.
But that leaf....
he pumping,growing,
growing in the night.
While you sleeping
you dream something.
Tree and grass same thing.
They grow with your body,
with your feeling.

Indjuwanydjuwa

How I said before,we should hook up. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:17 pm

So, how about an update Frank? Does the 3rd rock from the Sun have a new female didge player?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:29 pm

rptalk2me wrote:
So, how about an update Frank? Does the 3rd rock from the Sun have a new female didge player?

Hi,

my wife hope to find out if they want to play a didgeridoo at the Hangout this year.
I hope she find fun to do this, because I like Hang with didgeridoo and a lot of people say it is good for asthmatic problems.
Kelly said in this thread, that he will show us a few beginner technics. If my wife want to play, than we look for a good instrument.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:44 pm

I am fascinated Floatilla, about the Mens Business regarding female didgeridoo players..
The mind boggles!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:28 am

MrFox wrote:
I am fascinated Floatilla, about the Mens Business regarding female didgeridoo players..

:? there is none

MrFox wrote:
The mind boggles!

:rolleyes: :!: mind the gap :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:54 pm

Hallo Funky,
you can play Didgeridoo and Hang with one Hand, it works.
For the Beginning you can start with a bamboo Didgeridoo, which should be precisely in D or A according to the Hang-Ding.
Perhaps then, by hearing, your wife wants to join you.

Good "Hanging"

Martin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:57 pm

samjjana wrote:
On the subject of didges I would like to add something...

I'm sure some of you would be aware of the slide didge, which is an interesting variation, and shorter so easier to transport (especially in consideration to air travel) but have you seen what is called a travel didge? When we were in Switzerland, a Swiss friend of ours who we were staying with brought out a travel didge when we started a jam (He has 3 or 4 didges). He bought it in Switzerland, I think it was made there. From memory it is a reasonable price. Maybe it is already well known, but I certainly have never seen or heard of one before and I have mixed with a few didge players (at home in Oz). For those unfamiliar with it, it is a flat rectangle box shape, and the chamber does a 180 degree turn twice inside it. I was amazed at the sound - it is very good (well, his particular one was anyway). Much easier to travel with, though it might find resistance with some due to being so different from the traditional didge. I certainly doesn't look anywhere near as good as a traditional didge. I am curious what the Indigenous people think of it, or would think of it. I'm also curious about who created it in the first place, and whether anyone in Australia is making them. Anyone know?

Die Firma Schlagwerk baut sauber gestimmte Travell-Didges

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:32 pm

Women all over the world are playing didge and quite beautifully. Traditional prohibitions from cultures no longer apply. Same thing with native americans. Traditionally the flute was strictly a male instrument. Men courted women with the flute. Now even native American women play the flute. Mary Youngblood here in the USA has won two Grammies doing so.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:50 am

Saggio wrote:
... Traditional prohibitions from cultures no longer apply...

...say's who? :o ..,to strong Tobacco for me...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:27 pm

Interesting read: and indeed website

http://www.yirrkala.com/yidaki/dhawu/35miyalk.html

;)

Jump to: