Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » Miscellaneous

Post subject: Nice little instrument for traveling?
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:17 pm

Hey guys,
I already posted this in the German part of the forum, but I also hope you folks can help me out.

Some friends and I are planing to go on a bagpack trip this summer.
I thought some music would be nice when you sit around the campfire.

But... unfortunately all of my instruments are quite uncomfortable to take with me...
Hapi, Cajon, Djembé and Shawm :/

Maybe you know something nice and cute little instrument that I can take with me?
One of the guys is bringing a harmonica, maybe something that interacts with that in a good way.

It'll be very nice if you could give me some advice.

Thanks,
Quitte

Post subject: Re: Nice little instrument for traveling?
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:57 pm

Well there is the "EZYstick" :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFpF0ite ... annel_page
Real easy to play, much simpler than a guitar (diatonic) no difficult notes, every thing you play sounds good. :)

And a favorite with me is the "thumb piano" the Sansula is the best as far as I'm concerned, I took it with me to Brazil and had lots of pleasure from it.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:52 pm

Really?
No disharmonics?
Sounds pretty cool :)
How much are they?

(Besides... I'm not firm with chrordophones, whatsoever... I can only play two chords on a guitar: C major and A minor)

Also I think a good Sansula is quite expensive, isn't it?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:01 am

Yep, no bum notes on the "EZYstick", so simple just strum and it sounds good, then you can move on to playing using one finger on the frets, still sounds good and you can just start to play by ear. Mail me for more info ?!
Enough plugging my product :mrgreen:

A "Sansula" costs about 80 Euros but believe me its well worth it, one of the best made and finest quality sounds I have heard.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:35 am

Sansula is the Rolls Royce of the Kalimba world, and worth every penny, but if you're feeling broke you could get a simple Kalimba for quite a bit less.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:26 pm

A mate of mine bought something like the EZYstick it was called a Strum Stick, exactly the same instrument just a different make.

They are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much fun, especially for non guitar playing wannabes like me... I can make 4 chords on a guitar and just about pull them together to make something that sounds only ever so slightly nice... these things are just awesome for sitting round the fire and letting rip in a "Deliverance squeal like a pig" music meddly! LOL :)

Awesome little things... how much you selling the EZYstick for? not that I can afford one just yet... got so many instruments i'm after, may have to sell an organ or two.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:12 pm

Kelly wrote:
A mate of mine bought something like the EZYstick it was called a Strum Stick, exactly the same instrument just a different make..

"Exactly the same" !!!!!!!! :o
Is a Hang a Halo or a Bell ???!!! ;)
Get one in your hands and live to your ear and you will change your mind, mine are all hand made, no mass production. :)

Kelly wrote:
Awesome little things... how much you selling the EZYstick for? not that I can afford one just yet... got so many instruments i'm after, .

If you or others are interested just send me a mail (don't feel right putting a price up here) :?
b.t.w. this is the EZYstick as played at the last Hangout http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFpF0ite ... annel_page
or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODEQL_qz ... annel_page

Kelly wrote:
may have to sell an organ or two.

You have two organs :o
Post a vid please, wonder how they sound together :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:33 am

LOL... goes to show how much notice I took of the poster... I didn't realise it was you Sounds LOL

Yeah I saw your EZYstick at the last HangOut... nice as well that they are all hand made! can't beat hand made, each one has it's own character and its own blood sweat and tears gone into it's creation.

Will you be bringing some to HangOut again??? I'm definately interested in getting my mitts on one... i'll mail ya.

Just realised that the vid was in the camping field at last years HangOut... I pride myself on being observant... NOT :)

Just seen the price too.... Hmm... gonna have to figure out selling 3 organs I think :) bloody nice instruments though so well worth the money.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:20 pm

Kelly wrote:
Just seen the price too.... Hmm... gonna have to figure out selling 3 organs I think :) bloody nice instruments though so well worth the money.

Yes the price ! that's for the general public :D for Hangers there are GREAT reductions ;) and yes I will have a few at the Hangout but only a few so if folks are interested contact me and I will know if I have to get cracking in the shed this summer :lol:(you don't have to order but just to see if I need more with me)

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:37 am

Hey Sounds.. thanks for the heads up on the sansula, very beautiful with a similar ethereal type sound to the Hang if you know what i mean... just ordered one.. its on the way !

by the way- i am going in the studio with a friend whos doing recording with all kinds of wierd ethno percussion on monday and again in the next few weeks- gonna take my windiez i got off you at the hang out-love that thing with thunder drum too in the other hand

this vid doesnt quite do it justice ( sorry)- amazing hypnotic sound folks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FfWnfaq ... annel_page

any folks out there got any ideas how best to mic this thing up? room mics maybe ?

also i am using it ,thehang and sansula maybe if i can play it, at a sound and movement, toning and chanting sound bath workshop my friend is delivering on the 30th may - i am working out a guided meditation using hang- i will let you know how it goes

best wishes all , liking this new forum- positive creative vibes

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:56 pm

Hi friend, welcome to the new forum.

Thanks for the plug on the Windiez, I will have them at the Hangout again in September.

And your right, the sound on the vid is rubbish, even if it was up to scratch you still wouldn't get the full effect, same as all real "soundscape" instruments, almost impossible to capture the full atmosphere.

The Sansula is a real sweet instrument, must get a second one myself and tune it to the Hang (I use the one I have for our concerts and the other players have the standard tuning so have to keep it so).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:40 am

Hi there are really small Darbukka's mini mini from turkish percussion with a great sound together wih a thin whistle you have a great campfire music set

hope this helped

enjoy my friend

ciao

Patanjali
Quitte wrote:
Hey guys,
I already posted this in the German part of the forum, but I also hope you folks can help me out.

Some friends and I are planing to go on a bagpack trip this summer.
I thought some music would be nice when you sit around the campfire.

But... unfortunately all of my instruments are quite uncomfortable to take with me...
Hapi, Cajon, Djembé and Shawm :/

Maybe you know something nice and cute little instrument that I can take with me?
One of the guys is bringing a harmonica, maybe something that interacts with that in a good way.

It'll be very nice if you could give me some advice.

Thanks,
Quitte

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:01 pm

Travellers Didge.....

Jump to: