Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » The world of sheet steel sounds

Post subject: Is the Array Mbira an alternative?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:35 pm

Hi,

I have found what I consider to be a possible alternative/companion to the Hang, but also a unique instrument in its own right, with roots extending back to Africa for a least a thousand years: the Array Mbira. I had never heard of the instrument before and just stumbled across it. If you're interested in different, somewhat Hang-like tones, then you might want to look into this further.

I've just ordered a four-octave Array Mbira. (Note the "Array" part of the name; it's important, so use it in any search you might make.) A Google search will find not only YouTube examples, but also the manufacturer's webpage---Array Instruments. Like the Hang, they are expensive, but completely hand made with rare woods, and devoted craftsmanship. (And no, I don't work for the company.) :P

The Array Mbira is percussion, but not a drum---but then, the Hang isn't a drum either. The Array has more than a hint of the islands in its voice (think Caribbean angels playing steel harps). What is unique about the instrument is the "array" system, which positions the metal plucked tines in a circle of fifths pattern arranged in columns, so that four octaves can be played simultaneously with one finger stroke. I won't go on about the differences in the array system from chromatically laid-out instruments, because they do a much better job of it on their web page, than I could.

Post subject: Re: Is the Array Mbira an alternative?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:44 am

wow, great tip off, thanks, I've bookmarked it. I've always liked those little African thumb ones (that I can't remember the name of) and felt that they suit the hang - this way bigger and more varied version would be fun to try!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:35 am

Hi,

I listen to some sound examples and i like the sound. As we know it is not possible to hear the quality of the sound good over the internet, but what i hear is nice.
Here we have a fusion between metall and wood. Is this an old traditionell instrument, or a new creation? At the moment i have not the time, to have a closer look, but i search a little bit in the next days.

Interesting for me is, that you @starfish called it for you a possible alternative/companion to the Hang.
It means to me, that you have more in mind a alternative/companion for the Hang sound, as for the playing technic.
A lot of people i know are searching for a similar playing technic, if they look for a Hang alternative.
You have more the sound in mind.

Since two years i play only on my Panart Hang. I thougt about to buy a hammered dulcimer because i like the sound, in the time before my first Hang found me.
I think to play this "Array Mbira" could be very calming. Nice. Thank you for posting it.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:50 am

samjjana wrote:
wow, great tip off, thanks, I've bookmarked it. I've always liked those little African thumb ones (that I can't remember the name of) and felt that they suit the hang - this way bigger and more varied version would be fun to try!

Hey Maia, what you mean is the African Kalimba. I played it sometimes with my Hang but you already know my scale and know that its not easy to combine with other instruments with limited tonal range (like other Hanghang). Do you happen to remember the name or website of that wooden instrument shapped like a bowl that has strings, the one that Lesley presented to us?

If you do please post the website because I remember someone mentioning it in the past (on the other Forum) but didn't know much about it, only that it was made of wood, produced in Leeds and the sound is harmonicall like the Hang. I think it can only be this one i mention above.

Thanks in advance,
Greets

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:31 pm

Hey Sergio,
A quick 'by the way' - not sure if you saw my comment on another post asking if you have received the flute yet...?
Now that you mention this instrument, I remember it was amazing. I had forgotten about it (understandable due to our whirlwind travels, but unbelievable given it was so amazing!).
Maybe you could ask Lesley? It would be fantastic to offer it here as a post. I would like to explore it further myself. I remember thinking it would be much more convenient and compact to carry around than a harp, and the sound is not dissimilar.
Cheers,
Maia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:39 pm

A more affordable alternative might be the Sansula:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SwhOHl1ZbUY
http://shop.kalimbamagic.com/product.sc ... oductId=36

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:32 pm

Wow! Sansula sounds really impressive.
Only thing though, is that it is in A minor whereas the integral hang is D minor - not sure if they'd go together really well in that respect, but it would be interesting to play around with.
Thanks for the tip off, I will add it to my website.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:41 am

samjjana wrote:
Wow! Sansula sounds really impressive.
Only thing though, is that it is in A minor whereas the integral hang is D minor - not sure if they'd go together really well in that respect, but it would be interesting to play around with.
Thanks for the tip off, I will add it to my website.

Just retune :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:47 pm

The Array Mbira, like the hang, is one of the rare and wonderful sounds on the planet. I visited with Patrick and Bill , the makers ,about a year ago. I shared my hangs with them. We jammed together. Heaven. I went home with a 4 octave array mbira. Patrick and Bill fell more than a little in love with the hangs. I am perhaps the only hang player on the planet who also owns an arry mbira. Yes, I am most fortunate..
Saggio
www.saggiohealingarts.com

starfish10 wrote:
Hi,

I have found what I consider to be a possible alternative/companion to the Hang, but also a unique instrument in its own right, with roots extending back to Africa for a least a thousand years: the Array Mbira. I had never heard of the instrument before and just stumbled across it. If you're interested in different, somewhat Hang-like tones, then you might want to look into this further.

I've just ordered a four-octave Array Mbira. (Note the "Array" part of the name; it's important, so use it in any search you might make.) A Google search will find not only YouTube examples, but also the manufacturer's webpage---Array Instruments. Like the Hang, they are expensive, but completely hand made with rare woods, and devoted craftsmanship. (And no, I don't work for the company.) :P

The Array Mbira is percussion, but not a drum---but then, the Hang isn't a drum either. The Array has more than a hint of the islands in its voice (think Caribbean angels playing steel harps). What is unique about the instrument is the "array" system, which positions the metal plucked tines in a circle of fifths pattern arranged in columns, so that four octaves can be played simultaneously with one finger stroke. I won't go on about the differences in the array system from chromatically laid-out instruments, because they do a much better job of it on their web page, than I could.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:36 pm

Thanks Sounnds Like Me,
I didn't realise you could retune - that would make it easy - or perhaps simply ask them to custom tune it at the time of ordering.
Then again, the 4 octave model gives a lot of scope so would probably work pretty well if you knew what the notes were, and that would also allow for it to be played the way the makers intended - given they intentionally tune it to sound good and be easy for intuitive play.
:)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:52 pm

On the Array Mbira, the notes are clearly marked on a bar above each vertical row of tines. A beautiful, intuitive system. Even children can make a glorious sound. When I bought my 4 octave array mbira two years ago, Patrick and Bill had made only 60 array mbiras during 20 years. This amazing instrument derserves much wider circulation. I believe they are also now offering a smaller , more portable model. Perhaps the best player in the world of array mbira is puppetpatti from Texas. Do a youtube search and catch her in action. Stunning!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:42 pm

samjjana wrote:
Thanks Sounnds Like Me,
I didn't realise you could retune - that would make it easy - or perhaps simply ask them to custom tune it at the time of ordering.
Then again, the 4 octave model gives a lot of scope so would probably work pretty well if you knew what the notes were, and that would also allow for it to be played the way the makers intended - given they intentionally tune it to sound good and be easy for intuitive play.

This will help ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfLGwFMg-0s

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:08 am

Thanks Saggio and Sounds Like Me,
Both very helpful.
The retuning looks pretty simple. I think I'll seriously look at getting one of these.

Jump to: