Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » The world of sheet steel sounds

Post subject: Eclipse from 1tone.co.il
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:17 pm

I just ordered this steel tongue drum because i wanted at least play something similar to the hang without waiting years. It's just an alternative, but i'm still waiting my bellart bells.
by the moment, i just wanted to know what do you think about this. i choosed it because it was the best steel tongue drum in my opinion. what do you think? it's the only one i've seen that has got something similar to the hang's ding. and the gu part (ok, the bottom part) can be played too, because it has got another steel tongue.

this is the site: http://www.1tone.co.il
what do you think about it?

ciao ciao!
dario

Post subject: Re: Eclipse from 1tone.co.il
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:33 am

derio wrote:
I just ordered this steel tongue drum because i wanted at least play something similar to the hang without waiting years.

Hi Derio,

can you explain, what is similar to the Hang for you in this tongue drum? I am very curious. Is it the sound?
I think you agree, that between the sound from the Hang and the sound from a tounge drum is a very big difference.
On the web site you can read that a tongue is a "slit" or logdrum.
Here we have two totally different things. If you like tongues it is fine. I think people have fun with this. But I dont understand the connection with a Hang. The only small similarity is, that you play a tongue also with the hand.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:51 am

derio wrote:
I think it's a beautiful website, and the product is an overpriced tongue drum. I thought the HAPI tongue drum was overpriced, but it didn't bring out a headshake like the price of the 1tone. And I think the HAPI has a better overall sound and responsiveness.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:07 am

GotHang wrote:
derio wrote:
I think it's a beautiful website, and the product is an overpriced tongue drum. I thought the HAPI tongue drum was overpriced, but it didn't bring out a headshake like the price of the 1tone. And I think the HAPI has a better overall sound and responsiveness.

Hi,

i agree also with this. What makes this drum so expensive?
You find in the web instructions for self made tongue drums. Ok, this version is a little bit more beauty in form.
But to make this tongues is not very tricky. If you have the same blank shape you need only a molding tool and cut the slit inside. I think a machine can do the most work in a very short time.
For a Hang it needs years of experience with a hammer and any instrument is hand made and must be tuned with the hammer. So i dont understand the price. It is nearly the same price as a first generation Hang at the beginning cost.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:47 am

Personally for me tongue drums sound much better made from wood than metal :) With wood the notes are much more rounded (could not think of another word to describe it).

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:32 am

all tongue drums are more or less good .... but never stand in for a hang :P
you can't say wood is better than metal , it's just different ...

i love the wood sound of my tongue drum by Steve Roberts :
http://www.tonguedrum.com/index.html
i have this one with a deep deep sound : http://www.tonguedrum.com/14KeyGiantBassTongueDrum.htm

i love the sound of the HAPI :http://www.hapitones.com/
the sound of the Eclipse is nice to , but the one i prefer is the MILLTONE !!!!! :D :D :D
sell only on Ebay ... with a very good scale ...
http://cgi.ebay.fr/MILLTONE-Steel-Tongu ... 7C294%3A50

http://milltonedrums.wordpress.com/

Meurk

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:14 pm

Rob wrote:
Personally for me tongue drums sound much better made from wood than metal :) With wood the notes are much more rounded (could not think of another word to describe it).

I'm just saying that for me personally wood sounds more pleasing to the ear than a metal tongue drum, wood just sounds more .... Richer thats the word richer .....to My ears ;)

I too have a steve roberts penta F minor :) great thing :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6etwJn8-HE

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:25 pm

hey !!! i found this video last night ... and i like it !!! it's sound great !!!
good vibs ! :lol: :lol:

i understand what you're saying ... i feel same but i can feel same also on metal ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDtT5S-n ... annel_page

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:35 pm

I own a HAPI and I am quite happy. :)

Just like it's been said... it's a Tounge-Drum, not more, not less.

It keeps it's promise ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:34 pm

My 2 cents (from only watching the stuff in videos):

The Eclipse aswell as the Milltone both sound a bit 'ringy' to me. The Eclipse is 530$, and the Milltone had this in the auction: 'The MSRP, Retail price for a 4G, MILLTONE Tunable Steel Tongue Instrument is $799.' Starting price of the auction was much lower though.

I personally like the tongue drums from PercussiveDevices. The maker gives credit to Dennis Havlena on his site, and the instrument just sounds good. Here's a link of a vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awqj0PEwI-4
The site is: www.percussivedevices.com.

The HAPI is also clearly a high quality tongue drum, but I personally prefer the lower sustain of the PD drum.

I'm not affiliated with the maker by the way :p.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:07 pm

derio wrote:

Post subject: Re: Eclipse from 1tone.co.il Reply with quote
derio wrote:
I just ordered this steel tongue drum because i wanted at least play something similar to the hang without waiting years.

Hi Derio,

can you explain, what is similar to the Hang for you in this tongue drum? I am very curious. Is it the sound?
I think you agree, that between the sound from the Hang and the sound from a tounge drum is a very big difference.
On the web site you can read that a tongue is a "slit" or logdrum.
Here we have two totally different things. If you like tongues it is fine. I think people have fun with this. But I dont understand the connection with a Hang. The only small similarity is, that you play a tongue also with the hand.

sorry for "offending" the hang comparing it with this poor tongue drum.
i just wanted your opinion about the eclipse. i was not trying to say that it's on the same level of the hang.

and i wanted an instrument that can be played with the hands and when sitting and i liked the sound and the shape of the 1tone.
i'm on the list for a bells and soon i will write to panart to get a hang.
i know that hang and this drum are completely different thing, it's no use to write what is evident. just wanted an opinion.
cheers

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:32 pm

derio wrote:

sorry for "offending" the hang comparing it with this poor tongue drum.
i just wanted your opinion about the eclipse. i was not trying to say that it's on the same level of the hang.

and i wanted an instrument that can be played with the hands and when sitting and i liked the sound and the shape of the 1tone.

Hi Derio,

i never said, that the tongue is a poor instrument! I only ask you, what is for you similar to a Hang?
You wrote in your first posting, that you ordered a tongue because you want to play something similar to the Hang. Is it not ok to ask you this question?
I only want to understand why you and a few people see in tongues a similar instrument.
I understand in your last posting, that it is the way how to play this instruments. You have a few notes and can play the instrument with the hand. Yes, this is also for me a little bit similar. If you touch a Hang, you feel that there are hundrets of ways to awake the Hang and make a sound. I never played a steel tongue, so i dont know if this is similar on this instruments.
I know that the sound is for my ears totally different.

That is all.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:09 am

and also i think that they are completly different sound, and that hang's sound is unique and hypnotic. (for this reason, when i heard a hang the first time, in amsterdam, while trevor namaste was playing it on the road, i told my brother: "see, it's like there are actually four or five instrument playing together")
that time in amsterdam i waited that trevor namaste finished playing (40 minutes of hypnotic music) just to say to him: hey, what's the neame of this incredible instrument?
i'm in love with the hang and for sure i prefer his sound over all other instruments (and i've been playing trumpet and acousic guitar for 14 years, i'm not on off-sider in the music world).
now, while i wait my bells or my hang, i would like to play something that can at least remember mi of those instrument, and also practice on percussions on an instrument similar in the way of playing (not identical, similar).
it's ok to make such a question, but what i see in many forums of hang players is this kind of rule that says "the hang can not be compared, in any way, to any other instrument." you see, in fact, that the first reaction was just: how can you say that the hang is similar? without any comment about the drum i mentioned.
but it's ok, i understand it :).
if you are one of the lucky persons that own a hang, you are in the right to do it, because i can understand the love for that instrument.
i'm just a boy that would like to play "singing-steel". and i'll wait patiently both my eclipse and my bells or hang, 'cause for sure something will change when i'll begin playing. i think that metal sheets in general are very useful to clean your mind.
i also practice zen meditation, and the sounds of those instruments is the best.
sorry if my reply was a bit rude.

ah, and about the milltones... i didn't know about it. now that i heard it, i see sound is a bit "smoother", but still i prefer the eclipse. maybe because my mind already got ready in owning one :) don't know.
cheers everybody and a big smile to funky.

dario

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:45 am

When you talk about singing steel, why don't you get a steel pan?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:07 am

you see, steel pan music is happy, incredibly happy. it reminds me a lot of carribean and you know, all those places with sea, and sand and red sunset...
at the moment i wanted an instrument that was more... mmm... "meditative".
the hang, but also the hapi, the eclipse and the steel tongue drums, in my opinion (my personal opinion!!), have got a more introspective sound. that's the reason.
and, of course, i prefer them cause they're smaller and can be played when sitting, better if in a green park, with wind and birds singing along with you. that's why.

cheers
dario

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:50 am

derio wrote:
you see, steel pan music is happy, incredibly happy. it reminds me a lot of carribean and you know, all those places with sea, and sand and red sunset...

oh yeah, sun, fun and nothing to do right....
hear this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG0--pEjvoE (Part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arpxmE50 ... annel_page (Part 2)

It's the Skiffle Bunch Steel Orchestra from San Fernando at the World Steelband Festival Final Night in 2000. Ball Gowns, high heels and tail coats, the full lot.

Steelpan has come a long way. But the majority of people just recognises it as a "beach-thing".

Very sad.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:20 pm

But there's no bad thing in the beach, is there?

Of course, a steel pan has an important history.
But why is it so bad that people associate it with fun and relaxation?

I don't quite get that, sorry. :?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:39 pm

It is my understanding that some Steel Pan enthusiasts are concerned that the Steel Pan may be 'relegated' to only the beach and 'fun times' music as a sort of sunny and happy ghetto. It is my understanding that Ellie Mannette's approach to developing and promoting the instrument was to associate it with classical music to have it taken more 'seriously'.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:30 pm

Quitte wrote:
But why is it so bad that people associate it with fun and relaxation?

Nothing's bad about that. And nothing's wrong with beaches.
The sad thing is that the majority of folks only associate Pan to "sun, fun, and nothing to do".
I'll explain in another thread since it would be a bit "off-topic" discussing that here.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:30 am

Werner wrote:
derio wrote:

oh yeah, sun, fun and nothing to do right....
hear this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG0--pEjvoE (Part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arpxmE50 ... annel_page (Part 2)

It's the Skiffle Bunch Steel Orchestra from San Fernando at the World Steelband Festival Final Night in 2000. Ball Gowns, high heels and tail coats, the full lot.

Steelpan has come a long way. But the majority of people just recognises it as a "beach-thing".

Very sad.

i'm a very relaxed person and i always listen everybody's opinion and complains. but here, on this forum, every little thing i write is taken as i am degrading what i don't like 100%.
have i said that the steel drum is a bad instrument? no!
have i said that it's only a beach-thing? no!
have i said that his history is poor? no!
i just said that, to me, it sounds.. well, i don't know the word in english, but in italiano the first that comes to my mind is "vivace" (and if you are musicians you can understand its meaning)
but, ok, as ony other instrument, it can evocate different atmospheres and ambient if played in certain ways.

still i prefer the tongue drums's and hang's sound.
i can do nothing about it. i don't like steel pan.
by, whith this, and i want it to be clear, i'm not saying that it's a bad instrument. it's my personal taste.

cheers

Jump to: