Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » The world of sheet steel sounds

Post subject: Re: Caisa
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:15 pm

Not conspiracy theory, but instead a feeling that he has. A feeling (I might add) that I have sometimes too.

The Hang is wonderful, and why we're all here on this board. This area (it appears) was set up to talk about Hang Alternatives. Is it unfair to compare these to a Hang? No. Can it seem that sometimes there is sheet-steel-bashing going on. Yes.

Comparison is fine and a great service to those investigating. It is our duty to clearly indicate what we see, hear, and feel when we encounter these alternatives. But to be dismissive is a choice each of us makes, and can choose not to make.

Everyone's trying to be happy. Would you berate a man with statements that his wife is a waste of time because she is not Queen Rania? No. Why is it that it is so easy to do so with other things?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:35 pm

Thanks for humoring me everyone. I am sure everything will seem different to me in a few weeks when I hear sound emanating from sheet steel that is resting on my own lap.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:45 pm

GotHang wrote:
Not conspiracy theory, but instead a feeling that he has. A feeling (I might add) that I have sometimes too.

But this feeling relates to nothing real. There isn't a group of people who aim at bashing everything what isn't called "Hang".

GotHang wrote:
This area (it appears) was set up to talk about Hang Alternatives.

As one of the intiators of the Hang Forum I can say that this is not the topic of this sub-forum. This area was set up to discuss the world of sheet steel sounds. This is a wide field and to it belong the steelpan, the gong and ...

Sheet steel instruments are not "Hang Alternatives". The Hang is a sheet steel instrument and for example the gong is another. The gong is no "Hang Alternative".

Especially in this topic my aim wasn't to discuss the Caisa as an "Hang Alternative". I looked for a special Caisa sound that could touch me but didn't found it. And my conclusion was that the Caisa as a steel pan should better be played with sticks. And I said, if the Caisa want to be a hand played instrument, it is only the start point of a developement and not a ready instrument.

GotHang wrote:
Can it seem that sometimes there is sheet-steel-bashing going on. Yes.

There are two failures in your statement: 1) You mistake (hard) critic with bashing. 2) This critic don't relate to sheet steel but to concrete sheet steel instruments.

GotHang wrote:
Everyone's trying to be happy. Would you berate a man with statements that his wife is a waste of time because she is not Queen Rania? No. Why is it that it is so easy to do so with other things?

Because other things are no persons. Nobody has a problem with literature critic when ones says: "A waste of time" and the other writes: "The best I read for years." So if there is one who is touched by the sound of the Caisa, he is invited to tell us what it is. Perhaps I missed some important aspects. I'm not the Marcel Reich-Ranicki of steel pan instruments. ;)

Ix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:26 pm

Ixkeys wrote:
As one of the intiators of the Hang Forum I can say that this is not the topic of this sub-forum. This area was set up to discuss the world of sheet steel sounds. This is a wide field and to it belong the steelpan, the gong and ...

Sheet steel instruments are not "Hang Alternatives". The Hang is a sheet steel instrument and for example the gong is another.
I'm sorry, I was mistaken. I must have missed out on all the talk of gongs in this forum.

=)

Also if you're really being serious about this statement, know that almost all gongs are not steel, so they would not qualify for discussion here.

Ixkeys wrote:
Nobody has a problem with literature critic when ones says: "A waste of time"...
I (and others) do. For a critic to say 'a waste of time' indicates that critic 'knows best'. Everyone has a different perspective, and everyone can take away something different. What is unenjoyable to you may be loved by someone else.

As I said, it is more than fair to give one's impressions and opinion, but it is kind and wise to do so from that perspective.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:51 pm

It is useful to learn that Bill has not presented himself in a flattering way before.

Me, I don't remember reading anything like that first hand, but I will look through the Hang-Music.com forums as I would be interested to (re?)read the original dialog. Any pointers?

I do think the Caisa has potential, and in its most recent state (as of January this year) I found it fun to play with. IMO it would be a shame if it did not continue to evolve. :/

aaron

:: three cheers for singing steel! ::

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:25 am

GotHang wrote:
Ixkeys wrote:

Sheet steel instruments are not "Hang Alternatives". The Hang is a sheet steel instrument and for example the gong is another.
I'm sorry, I was mistaken. I must have missed out on all the talk of gongs in this forum.

Hi,

Ixkeys and I thought a long time about a good name for this part of the forum. It was one of the "catchiest" things for us, to find a topic.
We know, that we need a place for the new instruments like Bells, Halo and so on...
But we also want to have room for all the other sheet steel instruments in the world. At the starting point a Hang , a steelpan, a lot of gongs, Caisa, Halo, Bells, gamelan and so on and on are only a sheet of steel.
This sheet of steel goes different ways , when the man with the hammer and other tools start to make an instrument or a sound sculpture.
At this point the instruments are realy similar. Only a sheet of steel.

A web forum is for me a little bit like a motto party. In this forum I rent a room for the party. After that Ixkeys and I "decorating" the rooms. It is a long party and so we must see, that the house is in good technical condition. We invite all Hangplayers and friends of the Hang and all the people who want to come to this party. The main motto is the Hang, but we make rooms also for a few different things. We have a room called: "everything else..." for everything else. So you can make discussions about everything.
In this room, our idea was to talk about everything what has to do with "sheet steel sound".
At the moment nobody want to talk about gongs. ;) But maybe in the future?
It is not a room only for "similar to Hang..." instrument, but it is the best room for discussion about these instruments.
Maybe in the future some people want to speak about other sheet steel instruments and so we have a good place.

I feel, that a few people confound a "critic" with "bashing".

Back to Caisa. It is not clear, that if I make an instrument what has a similar shape as the Hang and come to the community with a lot of statements that this is "a similar instrument" that people have a big expectation?

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:45 am

Just a Fun Jam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KzZxSAwWk8

Peace

David Samson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:10 pm

cdhanginout wrote:
Just a Fun Jam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KzZxSAwWk8

Peace

David Samson

Saw these videos a while ago and loved them, looks like a fun day :)

Jump to: