Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » The world of sheet steel sounds

Post subject: The other side of the Halo.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:53 pm

Hi,

I am very curious about the sound from the "Gu" side of the Halo. Is this sound also tuned and it is possible to make these "udu similar" sound on this side?
A lot of players use the Hang on the Gu side or on both sides to play it. An Hang sound very interesting with this deep resonance on the gu and the ringing bell sound at the rim of the Gu.

I never heard about these aspect of the Halo. Hope for an answer from people who played the Halo or know something about that.

Greetings
Frank

Post subject: Re: The other side of the Halo.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:47 am

The underside of the halo is definitely tuned, and it is a easier to obtain ring then most first generation Hangs that I've heard. There appears to be two notes in the ringing sound.

However, the throat of the underside is shallower, so I personally find it harder to get as good a sound out of a udu-style slapping of the throat then I do using the same technique as the Hang. However, I'm not a very good udu player to start with, a real player could probably do more.

My hang has a second hole in it for complete udu style playing, and I've mentioned to Kyle that he might want to consider offering the second hole as an option.

-- Christopher Allen

Jump to: