Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » The world of sheet steel sounds

Post subject: Re: There seem to be no Helmholtz Resonance at the Halo
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:43 pm

tanzmeister wrote:

P.S. i wounder why my Ip is banned?

Victor

Hi Victor,

there is NO! IP banned on this Forum. Werner is also in Russia and had some problems with the forum also.
I dont know what the problem is. I only banned a few well known spammer e-mail provider.
Feel free to post what you want @tanzmeister.
If there is a general problem with your account, please contact Ixkey, because I go tommorow on holiday.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:51 pm

Allright then! i used something like fake ip so i can login to the forum, that was the reason i thought my ip is banned.

Werner, if you are in st.Petersburg by any chance don't hesitate to be my guest! i have just finished my closed shell hang-lookinglike harmonicaly tuned instrument and i would really love to share some experience!
i would also love to show you the wood, rivers and lakes of Karelia.

Victor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:40 pm

Виктор! Да, я в России;-) Я не вру. Я, действительно, в России! Да, это значит, что я в России. Я - в АРхангельске!Просто - ответ, что я на самом деле в России и в Архангельске! Если ты хочешь - ты можешь завидовать;-)

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:16 pm

Завидовать? you mean jelous? did i get it right? well, im kind of jelous, i've never been there. lol. so what are you doing in Rossiya? Поробую угадать: русская девушка? ;) are you planing to be in St.Petersburg by any chance? I would really like to meet with you, not only because of pan tuning, i really like the thoughts you express here i believe we could spend some nice time here while it is summer. Если помнишь, мы как-то переписывались: я хотел чтобы Екхард привез тебе мой ханг на настройку? ну правда теперь я и сам это могу делать. Ты хорошо говоришь по-русски?

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:26 am

tanzmeister wrote:
here is a video of a Halo played at the bottom side

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjm7o0gUuvk

Thank you for posting this video. In fact a deep F2 can be heard when the player uses his flat hand on the opening. This is the same frequency as with the Hang.

So in contradiction to my first assumption after listening to Kyle's videos there seem to be a Helmholtz resonance at the Halo. The remaining question is, whether it can be practically used and whether it can be integrated in the playing on the upper side.

Looking at the Hang there is a difference between first generation and the newer instruments. Since the second generation, the Helmholtz resonance became much more important for the Hang sound. If the Hang player want to use this importance, he must lower the frequency to one octave below the the Ding frequency. If you have realized this in practice you don't want to play without this resonance of Gu and Ding any longer. This is not a special playing technique that can be used occasional, it is the basis of Hang playing. It is necessary for the sensitivity of the Hang body for light touches of the players hands and it gives the Hang sound a dark basis. It is not difficult to record this. I did it for example for the sound example of a second generation Hang I made for Wikimedia Commons: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... rtical.ogg The bass tone is played using he heel of the hand at the shoulder of the Hang. You can also excite the Helmholtz resonance at the dome of the Ding. The IH and the FIH are even more sensitive for this than the second generation. It is loud enough to be easily listened if the Hang is played solo and not in a noisy surrounding. And it is not necessary to put a microphone underneath the Hang to record the sound of the Helmholtz resonance.

So it is an interesting question whether this is possible with the Halo too. Can the Helmholtz resonance lowered? Can it be excited at the upper side? By now I didn't notice this in a recording or video. The deepest sound seem to be the C3 of the central dome. But this doesn't mean that this isn't possible. Perhaps Halo players in videos are not interested in or aware of it like the vast majority of Hang players in recordings and videos.

Here is a figure I recently made for an update of the Hang lexicon that will be published in German soon and in English translation later:

It explains how the Helmholtz resonance function in a Hang: The air in the Gu neck moves up and down and compresses and expands the volume of the air in the body of the Hang. This vibrating system has a discrete resonance frequency which is called the Helmholtz resonance and can be heard as a dark tone.

Ix

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:54 am

Ixkeys - very interesting - do I understand correctly that you are saying that the tone generated by the helmholtz in the hang is created by rapid fluctuation of air in and out of the gu specifically? And is this different from normal helmholtz resonance such as could be excited on any enclosed air chamber?

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:15 pm

A Helmholtz resonator consists of an enclosed air chamber AND an opening formed as a neck which connect the air in the chamber with the atmosphere outside. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... onator.jpg

You can differentiate two air masses in this system: The air in the chamber and the air in the neck.

It is a mass spring system. The air in the neck is the mass moving up and down. The air in the chamber is the spring (the spring effect is generated by compressing and expanding the air pressure in the chamber).

On this web page you find an animation that compares the Helmholtz resonance with the mechanic mass spring system (it inspired me to my own animation): http://www.hoergarten.de/index.php?show=8 (you have to scroll down a bit)

Ix

Jump to: