Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » The world of sheet steel sounds

Post subject: History, background and evolutions...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:26 pm

Gong instruments are more than 2000 years old and are to my knowledge the oldest sound emitting vibrating steel plates.
The Javanese Gamelan instruments for example can be understood as a “Gong orchestra”. Many Gongs of different sizes and tuned to (more or less) defined musical pitches form the Gamelan instruments.

These instruments are mostly used in a ritual context, in religious celebrations, for mediation purposes or as alarm signals. We also can observe that these instruments were developed in the Far East.

The Steel pan from Trinidad is also a steel sheet instrument. Let’s have a short look at its historical background:
Trinidad has been a British colony with the majority of the population being from African (slaves) and East Indian (contract workers) descent. The cultural richness of these people always lied in singing, dancing and drumming. The fact that British colonial power did forbid drumming (percussion) could not stop Trinidadians to come together and play rhythms. Because drums of all kinds were forbidden, the “Trinis” had to avoid them. So eventually, they started playing rhythms with bamboo-sticks, the so-called “Tamboo-Bamboo-Bands”.
Pan was the next step of the evolution. From biscuit cans to soap bins, anything was used to play rhythms, to drum. Trinidadians noticed that different sized and shaped “bubbles” would lead to musical tones with definite pitch: the Steel pan was born.

That was only 70 years ago. Although Pan has been going around the world, it remains an instrument closely connected to “carnival”, the yearly celebration of the people of Trinidad.
In many ways, the Steel pan is a ritual instrument, much like the Gong in Asia.

It can be observed that the Steel pan comes to life during carnival time. After carnival, you could run into trouble looking for a playing steel band, you’ll hardly find one (except on the cruise ships and at the beaches, of course). The “Pan-Spirit” or “Virus” is about coming together. It’s about revolution and rebellion. It is naturally a fight for acceptance and recognition.

By now, the Steel pan has spread to many parts of the world. This worked out fine in places which not only adapted Pan but also the culture and background which comes with it. Were this was not the case (like Switzerland), Pan had difficulties being accepted. Why? Because it has been taken out of context. Here, Pan became a symbol for “holidays”, “sun, fun and nothing to do…”. Because of this misconception, the pan culture ran into trouble. See, trying to “copy” Trinidad is practically not possible. And trying to find an own identity with the Steel pan is very demanding and not easy.

The Hang is a direct result of two Pan Tuners which were seeking an own identity. In the beginnings of the Hang, this instrument was strongly connected to the rhythmical world, to the percussionists. Hang is a development out of the Steel pan. It is the outcome of a journey of almost 25 years. It has its roots and background, and these roots and the background makes the Hang sound as it does today.

Sure, anyone can make and tune a Steel pan, or a Hang-shaped instrument. You can buy Steel pans from Swiss, Australian, Japanese or Nigerian pan tuners. These Pans will sound good, or even great, fine. But Pan is not about one instrument; it’s about the steel band, the “pan organ”, the collective. Anything else is a (perhaps good) copy, and will be, as long as there is no own identity and identification going along with it.

I admit that I have a basic interest in creating something like the Hang, sure. But I know that it is not enough to just copy. It never is enough to just copy, when it’s about art and especially sonic art.
I have to go my own way, that’s the only chance I have to achieve something really meaningful.

Unfortunately, in today’s world anything sells. The overall level of awareness or consciousness in many societies is far from being great. The Hang gives the great chance of slowing down, of reflecting and listening. Let’s not treat this gift with a “happy-happy attitude”…

I am convinced that a music instrument maker has to have a strong spiritual background in order to be able to create musical tones which are capable of awakening positive resonance. If the background (the "idea behind") is of financial nature (for example), then forget it. As simple as that.

Werner

Yesterday is history and tomorrow is a mystery.
But TODAY is a gift, and that is why we call it “the present”.

Let’s try and be more present in word and deed.

Post subject: Re: History, background and evolutions...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:00 pm

Thanks for your wise words Werner.

Greets
Sérgio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:42 pm

Hey lost, I note that you are not so lost that you could not find your way to the new forum! Has your flute arrived yet...?

Thanks Werner for the post - very interesting. 30 years ago as a teenager I experienced a Trinidad Steel Drum Band and it blew me away. Who would have thought 30 years later I wwould end up with an instrument born out of the steel drum! I love gongs too - have had the good fortune to have heard a few, inncluding a VERY large one that just about blew out a whole shopping plaza...we will be experiencing it again next month when it joins us in a concert we are giving!

I'm also thinking that with the attempts that are being made around the world to offer people an alternative to the hang (whether it is because they're on the waiting list, may never get one, or can't afford it) I would like to offer people some links on my website for them to explore alternatives. The key thing though, is that I would want to only re-direct them to websites where the people creating the instruments are coming from the right place, for the right reasons - as in, a dedicated love of music and sound, a genuine interest in offering something to people that is a bit special, and that the motivation is the music, not the money.

I would appreciate any suggestions or tip offs from anyone who has this insight into some of the options available or soon to be available.

Thanks...
:)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:20 am

samjjana wrote:
....I experienced a Trinidad Steel Drum Band....

The instrument is propperly called a Steel Pan, or just simply PAN. Using the terms Steel Drum or just Drum is not correct, because Steel Pans are not drums, due to their operating mode which is that of an idiophone, while Drums are membranophones.

I urge everyone to have a look at reality and stop calling Steel Pans Drums. It doesn't do justice to both Pan and Drum.

As for the Hang, who is still calling it a Drum is definitively on the wrong track.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:23 am

samjjana wrote:

I'm also thinking that with the attempts that are being made around the world to offer people an alternative to the hang (whether it is because they're on the waiting list, may never get one, or can't afford it) I would like to offer people some links on my website for them to explore alternatives. The key thing though, is that I would want to only re-direct them to websites where the people creating the instruments are coming from the right place, for the right reasons - as in, a dedicated love of music and sound, a genuine interest in offering something to people that is a bit special, and that the motivation is the music, not the money.

I would appreciate any suggestions or tip offs from anyone who has this insight into some of the options available or soon to be available.

Thanks...

Hi,

@Samjjana,

you meet a lot of people, when you play the Hang on your world trip yourney. I go from time to time on the streets here in germany. A lot of people ask me, where they can find this amazing instrument.
The best answer is to say: "find out the adress of PANArt and write a snail mail."
At the moment it is not impossible to find a Hang. All people i know must wait and have patience, but at the end they have a Hang. Panart needs only from time to time a break. But they dont stop making Hang.
Yes, a few other instruments are born in these days. In my opinion is it to early to make a judgment about their sound and other quality. The reason is simple. There are at the moment no instruments in the hands of players. We have videos from a Hang shaped instrument, from a workshop in spain. This workshop is Bellart. The first video gives an idea what Lluis the owner does. I think he need time to research , but maybe he is on a good way. It is not possible to hear the sound quality from such instruments over the internet.
Also the real "magic" of a Hang you feel only in a live playing situation.
So, in case of the Bellart Bell it is to early to call it a alternative and suggest it the people.
A good idea could be to say: "it is worth to see, what the time brings with the Bells and look from time to time what Bellart does. Maybe they are able to made a alternative."

On the other hand their is a workshop called Pantheon and they offer on a webside a instrument called Halo. What we have in this case is also only two videos on youtube, played from the maker Kyle.
The real sound quality and other qualitys we will see, if this instrument is in the hands from the players. It is to early also in this case to suggest this instrument people as a alternative.

The most important thing for people who look after a alternative for a Hang is to find out, what a Hang is for this people. The first generation Hang is in sound quality different from the Integral Hang.
I understand people who like this instrument, because it makes fun and sound good. to play a percussion style on it. A lot of players see in the Hang a percussion instrument , a drum.
It is certainly a misunderstanding off the Hang and what PanArt has in mind if they build a Hang.
If people want a alternative, because of this aspect it is easy. Yes, all instruments from other workshops could be a alternative. You can play drums and rhythms on every instrument. This makes fun and what i hear from the sound from the Halo at the moment is not so bad for this kind of playing.

But if people want a Hang after they see and hear you playing on your Integral Hang, you must be carefull. A lot of people are very deep touched by the sound from the Hang. A lot of people told me, that the Hang goes very deep. It brings the listener and the player in a situation where they resonate with the sound from the Hang.
For a lot of people is this a impressive experience. I dont know if they can find the same feeling in the future in other creations.
I hope you understand what i want to say. It is not easy to put my thoughts in english words.
Play your Integral Hang on a quite place alone for you. Listen inside you and listen the sound. I am sure, that you have done this a lot of times.
If people search for a alternative for this, it is not so easy as people search for the option to play percussion.
We have two very different situations. One is the inner calmness and the other is rhythm and party.
Both makes fun and goes deep inside. But in different ways.
I also play drums. I like it, when a lot of people make music together and play djembe, congas, and so on.
Last year i was in the UK on a Hangout. It was very nice and i am happy to go there also this year. It was a very good vibration between the people and all that makes the Hang happen.
From time to time the Hangout goes to a Drumout. All people had a lot of fun with this. But it was a different feeling. Play drums an rhythms is the oldest thing what people do with music. The sound goes deep to the earth. It is a connection with the earth.
To play the Hang could be a connection with the air, the water and the sky.

Ask the people for what they want a alternative. A Hang is for different people a different instrument.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:01 am

embrace the void :|

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:15 am

Floatilla wrote:
embrace the void :|

Hi Floatilla,

i ask my internet translator, but i dont understand what you want to say. There are to many different meanings of the word "void".

Can you explain your thoughts a little bit in different words for me?

Thank you!

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:03 pm

Werner, I definitely don't call the hang a drum, but I was not aware the steelpan was not a drum - I have only ever heard of them as drums, so thanks for the distinction.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:19 pm

Funky,

I totally agree that there is no comparison to a hang - that the hang is unique and incredible and profoundly affects people. It has been incredible to witness people's experience of it, and a privilege to feel its effect on me. It is also a powerful sound healing instrument - I have experienced it doing amazing things in this way too. I would be extremely surprised if anything can be created similar - I would have to hear it to believe it.

I also tell people to write to the hanghaus. When I said 'alternatives' I didn't mean 'equal to' the hang. I just meant that if there is something people can enjoy that makes a nice sound I would also be happy to offer some information to people - whether it is a hang style of instrument or any other style of instument that makes a beautiful sound that makes them feel something. I would always say "a hang is a hang and there is nothing like it, so best is to write to the hanghaus, though some other possibilities, even though not matching the hang, if you don't want to wait or are on a budget are........."

I also believe that when people treat it like a drum and play it like a drum, they are missing the point, and also missing a lot of the magic of what the hang is and offers. I see a lot of YouTube videos of hanghang being played like a drum, and while it can be technically impressive, it doesn't move me. I much prefer the sound and the experience when the player follows the advice of Felix and Sabina, to 'listen to the hang and follow it'.

Thanks for the comments about Pantheon and Bell. I will explore further.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:56 pm

samjjana wrote:
Werner, I definitely don't call the hang a drum, but I was not aware the steelpan was not a drum - I have only ever heard of them as drums, so thanks for the distinction.

The term "steel drum" became very popular in the US. Therefor people often think it is the original name. I thought this too until I was tought that "steel pan" is the original name.

Ix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:41 am

Hi Frank,

embrace the void = Umarme die Leere

That was in regards to the spiritual experience (inner calmness) when you
play. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:48 am

Werner wrote:
Gong instruments are more than 2000 years old and are to my knowledge the oldest sound emitting vibrating steel plates.
The Javanese Gamelan instruments for example can be understood as a “Gong orchestra”. Many Gongs of different sizes and tuned to (more or less) defined musical pitches form the Gamelan instruments.

I stand corrected, the Gamelan is obviousely a lot more than just a bunch of Gongs.

Have a look at this report on the making of Gamelan, especially part two when tuning comes in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s0Hx20q ... re=related (Part one)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsnHUDF4 ... re=related (Part two)

And an interesting read about Gamelan in Java:
http://www.wou.edu/las/creativearts/mus ... Holmes.pdf

It's a pretty long text. I just would like to quote two things I read there:

"However, in gamelan the instruments are not moved and are approached as objects imbued with distinctive powers.....In the past, the only people who had any real contact with the gamelan instruments were the makers. The instruments are not even touched by the musicians except with mallets. The makers of gamelan instruments are very spiritual people within the community."

"All the instruments within one gamelan are made specifically for that gamelan. Instruments are not intermingled or exchanged. Unique spirits are believed to be in each set and the tuning of a gamelan is critical. There are two types of tunings, slendro and pelog, with slight variations possible. Each gamelan has a distinctive character and all the instruments within each gamelan must be kept together."

Werner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:28 am

In English the word drum can also mean "barrel". Here in the U.S. we commonly call those cylindrical steel barrels that hold about 55 U.S gallons of liquid "55 gallon drums" or just "steel drums". Since those instruments in Trinidad are or were originally made from such containers it is easy to see we in the U.S. call them "steel drums" on occasion (without remorse I might add).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:26 am

@rptalk2me

Sure, americans call it "steel drum", without remorse as you pointed out. And that has several reasons I believe.

First, this is how the Steel Pan has been welcomed and known in the States: as a "Drum". That the steeldrums or barrels are just the raw-material being used and that there is a transformation into a new thing, that aspect has been totally ignored.
And then, pantuners in America did do their part to make sure that "steeldrum" became a common term. You can check from Mannette Steeldrums to Coyle Drums to K2 Steeldrums, the list is endless. There is Solomon Steelpans in Philly, but guess what Solomon is a Trini....

Someone once told me that "whatever you do and transform, it will still be a Steel drum".
Do you know those objects made out of empty beer cans? Wallets, baseballcaps, little bags etc. Do we call these objects beer cans, because that was the raw material?

The term "steeldrum" seems to be more convenient. It is also simpler to say the Steelpan was invented "whereever in the Caribbean", preferably Jamaica because "were the heck's Trinidad anyway"?

Werner wrote:
The overall level of awareness or consciousness in many societies is far from being great.

That's the point, isn't it?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:40 am

Werner wrote:
Werner wrote:

I stand corrected, the Gamelan is obviousely a lot more than just a bunch of Gongs.

Have a look at this report on the making of Gamelan, especially part two when tuning comes in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s0Hx20q ... re=related (Part one)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsnHUDF4 ... re=related (Part two)

And an interesting read about Gamelan in Java:
http://www.wou.edu/las/creativearts/mus ... Holmes.pdf

It's a pretty long text. I just would like to quote two things I read there:

"However, in gamelan the instruments are not moved and are approached as objects imbued with distinctive powers.....In the past, the only people who had any real contact with the gamelan instruments were the makers. The instruments are not even touched by the musicians except with mallets. The makers of gamelan instruments are very spiritual people within the community."

"All the instruments within one gamelan are made specifically for that gamelan. Instruments are not intermingled or exchanged. Unique spirits are believed to be in each set and the tuning of a gamelan is critical. There are two types of tunings, slendro and pelog, with slight variations possible. Each gamelan has a distinctive character and all the instruments within each gamelan must be kept together."

Werner

Hi Werner,

thank you for posting that. The videos are very interesting and it is more than worth to watching.
It is a hard work to made these instrument for the gamelan.
You post a link to a longer text and i will read this in the next days. You quote a few interesting things.
One of them is, that the musicians dont have a direct contact with the instrumts.
It seems, that the maker of gamelans have a "special" place in the culture of Java. The way to learn making gongs must be long and not easy. The way to take gongs and make from a lot of another "instrument" a gamelan is the next step. The experience and the knowledge goes from one generation of makers to the next. That needs people who can teach the art and people who are students.
These instruments are used in spirituell ceremonial also. I can imagine, that there are rules, how a gamelan has to be. I think it is not so easy for a gamelan maker to leave the beaten track and make experiments.
It seems that a lot of steel sheet instruments have their roots in spirituell parts of the culture from the people of the world.

It is early in the morning and my wife want to have breakfast. So i must end at this point. Very interesting to see where are the roots from the sheet steel instruments. More coming soon!

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:50 am

I find it interesting to see how Gamelan and Steelpan are embedded in a collective cultural surrounding. Here I see a difference to the Hang: The Hang is the instrument of the individual that left the cultural conditions of the collective. This was the way of PANArt: Leaving the steelpan collective to begin a journey that lead to a knew instrument. And while the steelpan is played as a member of the steelband, the Hang player find his instrument individually and plays it in a relationship of one player with one Hang.

Ix

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:14 pm

Werner wrote:
@rptalk2me

Someone once told me that "whatever you do and transform, it will still be a Steel drum".
Do you know those objects made out of empty beer cans? Wallets, baseballcaps, little bags etc. Do we call these objects beer cans, because that was the raw material?

Maybe it's the degree of transformation. Wallets, baseball caps, etc. don't much resemble a beer can. But steel plans, whether they are made from flat steel sheets or cast-off steel drums look very much like the end of a 55 gallon drum.

It's interesting that this discourse is happening under the topic heading "the world of sheet steel sounds".

I have very much appreciated and have learned much from your posts here and on that other forum-that-shall-not-be-named. You are a great asset to this community. Keep 'em coming.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:43 pm

rptalk2me wrote:
In English the word drum can also mean "barrel". Here in the U.S. we commonly call those cylindrical steel barrels that hold about 55 U.S gallons of liquid "55 gallon drums" or just "steel drums". Since those instruments in Trinidad are or were originally made from such containers it is easy to see we in the U.S. call them "steel drums" on occasion (without remorse I might add).

I have also heard that the term "steeldrum" refers to the 55-gallon oil drums that were the raw material. Good or bad, the term "steel drum" is firmly a part of American English at this point. "Steel pan" is more of a specialized term used by people who are more familiar with music. But go up to the average American and mention "steel pan" and I think the majority of people will have no idea of what you are talking about. But say "steel drum" and most people will know. That is the language. I don't think anyone equates a steel drum with a 55-gallon drum that is the raw material. Obviously people are aware of the transformation (actually, most people don't know that steel drums were first made from oil drums.)

Language is difficult to control or change--it is what people speak. Finally, I would add that "drum" is more intuitive than "pan." Most people think of a drum first as an instrument, but probably think of a pan for cooking.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:08 pm

Just a post from a oldie about the terminology. :rolleyes:

I think It's a question of generation rather than just language.
When I was a kid the steel pan or steel drum were common terms for the instrument with the understanding that "drum" came from "oil drum" and "pan" was a pan shaped instrument.
These terms were the same for all English speaking countries.
No confusion, that's what they were !

Nowadays the links to the original terms have faded with time and the names are now "stand alone".
Hence the confusion.
As my dad would say "call a spade a spade" :D

Jump to: