Board index » Foyer » English

Post subject: integral hang chords
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:43 am

Not being bothered by any knowledge of music I play my integral Hang with much pleasure.
Some time ago I heard someone speaking about 'patterns' or 'chords' for the Hang.
If anyone can tell me more about this, please do !
Max

Post subject: Re: integral hang chords
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:47 pm

In my point of view it doesn't make sense to look at the Hang in the perspective of chords. On the Integral Hang there are only four chords: D minor, A minor. Bb major and F major. Quite boring to play these chords. The Hang is not a guitar.

When I look at the musical qualities of the Integral Hang I see three basic aspects:

1) When the player adjusts the Gu sound exactly an octave under the Ding (Gu: D2, Ding: D3) he achieves the Gu-Ding-Integration, a major aspect why the Integral Hang is called integral. Now he has built the basis for his Hang playing: A strong center sound. He can now excite Gu and Ding together with multiple sound possiiblities from dry to resonant, from deep to high. Everything he plays is related to this basis of the Hang sound and Hang playing.

2) Hang sound is not only a number of tones with distinct pitches. In each moment you hear a bunch of frequencies, tones, noises. Hang playing is not striking but touching the surface of the Hang. The sound of the touch is important and very variable. Playing the whole tone field with the hands the Hang player creates a filigree sculpture made of sounds.

3) With his hand gestures the Hang player creates melodic gestures similar as he can do this with his voice. If he becomes familiar with his Hang he can achieve a similar intuitive connection to the Hang tones as he has it to his voice tones. Melodic gestures are not patterns. Patterns are repetitive. Melodic gestures are individual and intuitive shapes moving forward in time.

Michael

Jump to: