Board index » Foyer » English

Post subject: Re: There is no "war" on Handpans!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:24 am

Hi Frank,

I'm not talking about Spike's email exchange with Felix, for me that is cut and dry, the name Ding rightfully belongs to PANart although people will continue to call the centre note the ding on many other Handpans. For me the steel tongue drums are nothing to do with the Handpan family anyway, a by product of a person who liked Handpans who stumbled across a great use for old propane tanks, hence the Hank drums from Dennis that spawned those creations.

I asked about PANart and Pantheon Steel, what is the dispute there now? I agree we all have to tread carefully in the realms of law, one wrong word can bring down a lot of good work that is being done, but I wonder why there is now, some 2 or 3 years after the first Halo was put to market that Felix now goes after them again?

Why can't these makers get along? they are producing for the greater good of music and human exploration of music yet here we are again surrounded by negative connotations. Legal threats, bad words on PANart, bad words on people and another arena of anger being built.

I understand the issues with Luis, I don't have much knowledge on Victor or his instrument but Pantheon steel I do, I've played many, met Kyle and Jim a few times, drank beer with them both and put the world to rights several times, they are not bad people and have no hidden agenda's at all. Kyle has remained respectful & courteous to PANart and the Hang the whole way through, I wonder now what hidden agenda's there are from PANarts side that have bought about this latest fog over what is and what can be?

I am trying to seek the truth on what is going on here, so many people are in the dark and there needs to be two sides to every story, at the moment I am seeing one. A side of legal threats and demands, I love what PANart do and I hate all this negativity, what is really going on??

I hope your breakfast was nice by the way :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:35 am

michael colley wrote:
Thanks for this post michael. I understand the issues that panart has with bellart and have dine since the beginning but can you please shed light on the exact issues that panart has with the other makers of handpans that they have sent legal letters to please?

Thanks for your time

M/C

Just in case you missed my post earlier in the thread !!!!

;)

What is the problem with the other makers?

Surely a bit of hard factual evidence and clarification can be provided for future makers to understand?? This would surely cut down on future legal bills for everyone??

What if I wanted to take hammer to steel and create instruments inspired by the hang - what can and can't I do to avoid breaking the law?

PLEASE answer precisely and fully.... It's better for everyone in the long term if clear guidelines are given by panart.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:57 pm

michael colley wrote:
PLEASE answer precisely and fully.... It's better for everyone in the long term if clear guidelines are given by panart.

My precise and full answer is:

I have currently nothing to say about the legal discussion between PANArt and Pantheon Steel.
It is their task to deal with it, not ours. This is complicated legal stuff. Nothing for legal laymen like us to discuss in public while having only parts of the full information.

"Clear guidelines" can only be given by Sabina Schärer and Felix Rohner themselves if they want to do it. I understand your point, but I am currently not able to satisfy you because their isn't any published statement I could advise you.

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:59 pm

michael colley wrote:

I understand you question. Yes, maybe "clear guidelines" are helpfull. But the most informations, about Trade mark and Patents are public on internet. It is better for people who want to copy the Hang, or do something similar to take these things seriosly. It is not for fun, that companys spend a lot of money to protect their work. IMHO!

Only Panart can answer your special question, about those guidelines.
Here is nobody, who can answer on your precise question, about the problems between Panart and Pantheon. I think internet forums are not good places for companys to make diskussions about such questions in public.

Panart has no spokesman on the internet.

I can tell Panart, that people ask for "clear guidelines". What they will do with this information is only their decision.

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:15 pm

I have one burning question still unanswered.... "did you have a nice breakfast Frank?".

Actually I have more than one, but given the sensitive nature of the legal issues at hand it's probably not right to be asking those publicly.

If PANart can put out a press release regarding their current stance on Handpan manufacture then the amount of time, money and energy spent messing around with legal papers etc will be greatly reduced. Especially given that once upon a time Felix was encouraging people to make these things!

I can understand PANart being upset by certain aspects of creation, as in Luis and the BELL, a direct copy would put any businesses nose out of joint, I can understand certain terminology, DING, GU, Integral, HANG and certain manufacture processes being part of what make the HANG unique... aside to that I cannot see or understand any other legal issues at hand, but as you say there is nothing that will be commented here in a public forum.

As far as I know it and understand Pantheon created something different, in shape, size, colour, manufacture and name, and they did so respectfully at every stage of the way, what else could there possibly be left to sue over? I'm bemused to say the least and concerned if I’m honest about why the need. Are PANart scared of what Pantheon have become or what they will be in a few years time? it's baffling..... :?:

Well I hope talks go well and the conflict resolves itself amicably, I’d love to see both Felix and Kyle enjoying a beer at the HangOut one day... anyone think we could get that one on? in the spirit of togetherness.

You said there was lots of light in Bern Frank, put that one to Felix and see what he thinks? An amicable meeting, a neutral place, with one vision between them to resolve any issues at hand…. Could be an ideal place for Felix to give us a seminar on his vision as well, he was going to come along a couple of years ago but decided against it for some reason.

Jump to: