Board index » Foyer » English

Post subject: removing rust
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:14 am

hey friends

i`ve tried to find info on this forum about removing rust. i didn`t find solution

sadly, once i left hang in case with salty cloth. now, it is dotted with black and brown spots. i am cleaning hang with oil of parafine. some years ago some rust appeared and started cleaning with that oil. rust was not spreading. this time rusty area is much bigger. it doesn`t seem to spread. i can`t hear any bad influence on sound

do you think i should rub rust of and apply some biofa oil? or just leave it as it is and continue cleaning hang hoping rust wont affect hang

maybe this cleaning kit can be helpful for cleaning rust or it is just preventional tool

thanks
tomas

Post subject: Re: removing rust
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:27 am

Hello dzimbo,

I have also this problem with a second generation Hang. I ask the Hangmakers and they told me, that I can try to remove the rust with a Scotch sponge. You know those sponge for cleaning dirty cookware.
But I found, that very very fine steel wool work better. After that, you could see the rust spots, but the Hang feels better.
After that, you can use some Biofa Oil or the new cleaning fluid from Panart.
If you have Biofa on your Hang, the cleaning fluid will remove this biofa oil. You can remove all the Biofa and after that, the cleaning fluid will protect your Hang.
The rust spots on your Hang are most likely not dangerous for the sound.
It is only not so nice for the feeling, if you touch the Hang and it looks not nice.
I know your fear. But my second generation Hang has this problem for a long time and it sounds better and better within the years.

I hope you understand my bad englisch. Where are you from and what generation is your Hang?

Greetings
Frank

Post subject: Re: removing rust
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:04 pm

hey frank

thanks for your reply. the rust on my hang doesn`t feel ugly. it seems to be like little snow stars melted in metal. actually i like it. hang looks to be acient acient many thousands years old. so many patterns there are on surface. i don`t like shiny and one coloured look :)

perhaps i will continue with the oil i have. i feel it protects hang. just i have to be more aware of salt :)

i am from lithuania. i play on integral hang

all the best
tomas

Jump to: