Board index » Foyer » English

Post subject: Introduction and Question
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:42 am

Hello hello.......
I'm Kingped - I used to visit some of the old forums years ago.
I own an Integral Hang, 246, which I got in 2008. From start to finish the process took just over 2 years and in all honesty I still cannot believe to this day that I own one. For a couple of years I didn't play it as much as I thought I would ( I also love guitars) and fell out of touch with the community, the hype, the ebay stuff etc. Anyway, I'm dealing with heavy stuff in my life at the moment, and have been playing a lot - the Hang is such a powerful tool for escapism, expression and emotion. The lack of thought process ( that is required for other instruments such as guitar or piano) allows me to switch off and just flow with it - I feel so honoured to have one of these incredible instruments, and as I'm sure those of you who own, and those who have heard will know, I stop people in their tracks when I get it out. I remember having come across it in Indian in 2006. I thought about nothing else.I felt that was the reason I was in India - I didn't find myself.I found something else altogether. Then came the discovery that the chances of getting one were so slim. Then the letters. The lack of response. The waiting. And as someone else wrote somewhere online, once I'd let go, and realised that in fact I wasn't going to get one, the letter arrived. An ethos similar to playing itself. Let go,and the rest will follow. So, for those who do not have a Hang, or have heard nothing for the Hanghaus, or are consumed by desire for it, I know how you feel. But good things do happen, sometimes, to good people. It's easy to say, as an owner, that I agree with Felix and Sabina, but its true. I agree with their philosophy. Some people (mostly on other forums) label PANArt as elitist, and slag them for choosing who the sell to. But listen, here are two people who have created something truly incredible that touches all but the most cynical, make them by hand with true love. They are not motivated by money. Just look at the diverse players on youtube - some are musos, some are poor, some have money. Its all these things that make the Hang so special. And you lot already know that.
I'm just saying, as today, when I woke up, I still can't get my head around the fact I've got one.

Any way, quick question for those in the uk. Firstly, anyone in N London fancy hang jamming, and secondly, what do those in the UK use to clean their Hang without damaging the instrument?

Right. That's yer lot. Stay cool

KP

Post subject: Re: Introduction and Question
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:25 am

hey dude and welcome to the forum and thanks for the introduction, nice story there, especially about the Hang finding you rather than you necessarily finding yourself... the Hang will help you with that, especially when you delve deeper into the community here.

As you say there are a lot of PANart haters on other forums, a lot born from jealousy, and the others through lack of understanding or just joining the bandwagon on hating as it makes them feel accepted.

I like you love their work and respect their decisions on how they run their business.

So once again, welcome and I look forward to speaking to you more and maybe one day meeting you.

With regards to cleaning the Hang, there is BIOFA hard oil which you can get on the internet, although it’s quite hard to track down and from what i've heard it's also very expensive, but I think this one is recommended by PANArt for protection.

Froglube is being mentioned over on handpan.org it’s just a gun cleaning fluid that protects metal, it's easier to get hold of but having never used it I can't comment on its abilities to protect.

Personally I use a beeswax natural furniture polish on mine, never had any issues at all with rust since using it, it cleans the surface nicely and leaves a nice sheen on it too plus the beeswax is natural and protects it from moisture…. Tesco do a nice one http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/ ... =251095871 I’ve been using this for like 5 years now, never had any issues and its only £1.50 a can

I see you’re in North London, there are a number of us around the London area that try to meet up throughout the summer months…. Are you able to travel? Just thinking as we usually have a couple of camps down at Mellow Farm in Surrey (near Farnham and home of the HangOut) if you’re interested I’ll keep you posted on when the next one will be.

Cheers
Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:58 pm

kingped wrote:
what do those in the UK use to clean their Hang without damaging the instrument?

Kelly Hutchinson wrote:
With regards to cleaning the Hang, there is BIOFA hard oil which you can get on the internet, although it’s quite hard to track down and from what i've heard it's also very expensive, but I think this one is recommended by PANArt for protection.

An Integral Hang from 2008 is treated with BIOFA hard oil. But BIOFA hard oil is not for cleaning. Never use it for cleaning!

For cleaning a 2008 Integral Hang there are two possiblilities:

1) Use a soft dry or slightly moist cloth. Perhaps alcohol. But nothing else.

2) You can decide to remove the hard oil layer completely using the new PANArt Hang cleaning spray and then use this product in the future. It is very important that you remove the old hard oil layer completely if you want to use the cleaning spray. If you don't remove the layer completely you will get a sticky surface. I can recommend the switch to the new Hang cleaning spray because you will get a very nice silky feeling surface that will improve your playing experience. I published an article about the new cleaning fluid in the Hang Library: http://www.hangblog.org/a-new-cleaning- ... ion-fluid/

For Hanghang built until 2008 I strongly recommend to use only one of this two cleaning methods. For Hanghang built 2009 or later don't use nothing else than the PANArt Hang cleaning fluid.

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:34 am

Kelly hi

I remember having chats with you on an old forum a few years ago. Thanks for your reply. Every time I try and make it to Hangout work comes in ( freelancer) and I have to bail. From your email though you say you guys have a few hook ups down there- at the same farm but just a camping hook up? Aye, I'll travel.
I like I said have been away from the community for a bit and posted before being aware of the PANArt developments. Blimey - it's all kicked off. Quite mental really - I had no idea. When I came across the Hang, the community was enthused and excited and full of optimism about this incredible instrument. Now the anger directed at 2 craftsmen who don't have the ability to meet demand for their creation is quite alarming. I'm not going to throw in my tuppence as I can't be bothered getting involved in a slagging match with strangers from different countries.
Thanks for the cleaning advice - I remember you ( I think) suggesting beeswax in the past - I thought that was more to protect than clean? Good one though.
Michael , thanks also - I've been using a dry cloth since I got my hang and was nervous about stripping the protective layer.

Kelly, what about insuring my hang. Companies have no idea. What do you recommend? What did you value yours at, insure through, etc. I'm hopeless at that kind of stuff.

Thanks

Big ups
KingPed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:21 pm

Hey man, I have to admit to not going down the insurance route... :o I've not even checked it out with insurance companies but I woudl assume you'd go about it the same way you would a rare car, pictures of the instrument, evidence to back up the online market place costs and then get an agreed valuation between you and the insurer.

I really ought to get it insured to be fair... it'll be just my luck that it gets nicked and then i'd be left Hangless and moneyless to buy another.

If you find anything out do share, be interested to see what insurers will do and charge to insure it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:20 pm

Hi there Kingped,

Nice post, nice story.

I'm in for a jamming next time I'm in London. You can email me on gerard_spencer@hotmail.com and I'll let you know next time I'm there.

All the best,

Gerard

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:23 pm

kingped wrote:
Hello hello.......
I'm Kingped - I used to visit some of the old forums years ago.
I own an Integral Hang, 246, which I got in 2008. From start to finish the process took just over 2 years and in all honesty I still cannot believe to this day that I own one. For a couple of years I didn't play it as much as I thought I would ( I also love guitars) and fell out of touch with the community, the hype, the ebay stuff etc. Anyway, I'm dealing with heavy stuff in my life at the moment, and have been playing a lot - the Hang is such a powerful tool for escapism, expression and emotion. The lack of thought process ( that is required for other instruments such as guitar or piano) allows me to switch off and just flow with it - I feel so honoured to have one of these incredible instruments, and as I'm sure those of you who own, and those who have heard will know, I stop people in their tracks when I get it out. I remember having come across it in Indian in 2006. I thought about nothing else.I felt that was the reason I was in India - I didn't find myself.I found something else altogether. Then came the discovery that the chances of getting one were so slim. Then the letters. The lack of response. The waiting. And as someone else wrote somewhere online, once I'd let go, and realised that in fact I wasn't going to get one, the letter arrived. An ethos similar to playing itself. Let go,and the rest will follow. So, for those who do not have a Hang, or have heard nothing for the Hanghaus, or are consumed by desire for it, I know how you feel. But good things do happen, sometimes, to good people. It's easy to say, as an owner, that I agree with Felix and Sabina, but its true. I agree with their philosophy. Some people (mostly on other forums) label PANArt as elitist, and slag them for choosing who the sell to. But listen, here are two people who have created something truly incredible that touches all but the most cynical, make them by hand with true love. They are not motivated by money. Just look at the diverse players on youtube - some are musos, some are poor, some have money. Its all these things that make the Hang so special. And you lot already know that.
I'm just saying, as today, when I woke up, I still can't get my head around the fact I've got one.

Any way, quick question for those in the uk. Firstly, anyone in N London fancy hang jamming, and secondly, what do those in the UK use to clean their Hang without damaging the instrument?

Right. That's yer lot. Stay cool

KP

Jump to: