Board index » Foyer » English

Post subject: Hang cleaning and corrosion protection
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:01 pm

A topic often discussed on forums is how to save ones Hang from rust problems. And although there is a recommended and proven solution, often means like bee wax, gun oil, olive oil or a number of other fluids are in use.

It seems that a large group of owners of older Hanghang are not aware of the PANArt Hang cleaning fluid recommended since 2009. This correspondents with the experience of Johannes Lülsdorf, CEO of the LBI oil free GmbH, who developed the PANArt Hang cleaning fluid after he picked up his own Integral Hang five years ago in the Hangbauhaus and convinced the Hang makers that there was a better alternative to the formerly used Biofa hard oil. The new fluid was developed on basis of a standard IRMCO product using additives to improve the corrosion protection and adapt the fluid to the needs of using it with the Hang. It not only cleans the Hang surface and protects it from corrosion. It also improves the haptic characteristics of the Hang surface which I think is even the more insteresting improvement for the Hang player.

When I met Johannes Lülsdorf a few days ago, he told me that he delivers the vast majority of his fluid to PANArt to be sold together with a new Hang. Only seldom he sells the fluid to owners of older Hanghang. One of the reasons to replace the hard oil with the new fluid, Johannes Lülsdorf told me, was the problem, that the chemical characteristics of the hard oil is changing in time and may cause corrosion problems instead of avoiding it when the layer stays on the surface a very long time. Therefor he recommends to remove the hard oil layer from older Hanghang using the new cleaning fluid and then use only this in the future. He also told me, that the fluid is able to buffer corrosive substances like salt applied to the surface with sweat while playing. So you don't have to use the fluid daily or weekly but only from time to time. The product declaration recommends every three months.

I exchanged the hard oil with the PANArt Hang cleaning fluid on my two older Hanghang a few years ago and am completely satisfied not only having no rust problems since then but also enjoying the new silky feeling of the Hang surface while playing.

Biofa hard oil was used by PANArt for Hanghang built until 2008. The following steps are necessary to switch from the Biofa hard oil (or any other) layer to the PANArt Hang cleaning fluid:

1) Apply a sufficient portion of the fluid to a microfibre cloth and wipe the surface extensively to remove the old layer completely. As long as the surface feels a bit sticky you must continue the procedure.

2) Use a wet cloth (clear water) and wash the Hang cleaning fluid from the surface to remove also the old substances solved in the cleaning fluid that remains on the surface after the cleaning procedure.

3) Dry the Hang surface with a dry cloth.

4) Use a few squirts of the PANArt Hang cleaning fluid sprayed on the Hang and distribute it by wiping the surface with a micro fibre cloth until it feels dry and silky.

Only step 4) is used to clean the Hang surface from time to time and renew the corrosion protection.

The used microfibre cloth can be washed out with warm water to remove the fluid that remains in the cloth.

More information you will find in an article in the Hang Library.

Post subject: Re: Hang cleaning and corrosion protection
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:52 pm

I used this cleaning oil for a year and it helped a bit. But still had corrosion problems. Now i use bio, coldpressed olive oil and all problems have solved. Its cheaper than Panart's And easyer to get.. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:08 pm

Hi arno,

the PANArt Hang cleaning fluid is not an oil. It is a water soluble fluid, free of oils and solvents and based on biopolymers. In difference to oil products the surface is dry and silky. This provides a better touch and feeling while playing.

It is very easy to get. Just send an email to LBI oil free GmBH. If you are in Germany you can buy directly from an Internet shop on the website.

What were the corrosion problems you had?
Did you remove the hard oil layer completely before using the Hang cleaning fluid?

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:43 am

What are your thoughts on Frog Lube?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:17 pm

I never used it. But as far as I know, it is oily. So it has different haptic properties. As I am completely satisfied with the PANArt Hang cleaning fluid (especially with the haptic result), I have no reason to try out something else.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:23 am

just out of interest how much is the Hang cleaning fluid?

Jump to: