Board index » Foyer » English

Post subject: Re: New PANArt Website - Gubal
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:27 pm

A question as it seems this might not answered by the book/CD. Does the Gubal use the same sound model as the Integral Hang or the Free Integral Hang, or another one as a basis ? Is it free tuning ? (Of course I understand that this might not fully cover the concept of the Gubal.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:43 am

broussel2 wrote:
Does the Gubal use the same sound model as the Integral Hang or the Free Integral Hang, or another one as a basis ?

The basis is the Helmholtz resonance Eb2 which can be lowered to Bb1. Gu neck and ring-ding are tuned with Eb3, Bb3 and Eb4. The choir of the Gubal includes seven voices: Bb3, C4, Db4, Eb4, F4, G4, Bb4.

broussel2 wrote:
Is it free tuning ? (Of course I understand that this might not fully cover the concept of the Gubal.)

Free tuning:
In the free tuning of a Hang, the focus is not about the precise mathematical frequency ratios of the partials of a tone field, but on the impact of the entire sound. Trinidad's steelpan tuners already slightly detuned partial tones to attain the characteristic sound of their own instruments. In an acoustic-mathematical analysis, Anthony Achong substantiated that this detuning is the most important parameter in influencing the structure of a steelpan tone: the duration of the partials as well as the amplitude and frequency modulations. By foregoing a tuning device for the Free Integral Hang, the Hang tuners are free to systematically make use of this parameter and to concentrate on the artistic design of the sound structure during the entire tuning process.

The free tuning of the Free Integral Hang has no reference pitch. So the Ding of each Hang has its individual pitch in a range from about B2 to Eb3. For the Gu-Ding Integration the player must adjust the Gu with his legs accordingly. The voices in the choir are free tuned in relation to the Ding and correspond to those of the Integral Hang.

The Gubal has a reference pitch given by the Helmholtz resonance Eb2. The voices in the choir are free tuned in relation to this reference. This means, that you can play two Gubals together (as you can hear in one of the sound samples on the CD).

Edit: There was a typo in the indication of ring-ding tuning. I corrected it (Eb4 instead of Bb4).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:06 am

AMAZING sound.... just running through the CD now, can't wait to meet one of these instruments.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:42 pm

Sultry. A hot summer sun pressing down upon a tribe of female dancers gently rocking hips to the rhythm of the Earth Mother Goddess.

To my ears, Gubal is Sultry. Not in a sexual way. As in deep, inexorable, primordial energy of all that we build upon.

Mowgli likes!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:10 pm

Mowgli wrote:
Sultry. A hot summer sun pressing down upon a tribe of female dancers gently rocking hips to the rhythm of the Earth Mother Goddess.

To my ears, Gubal is Sultry. Not in a sexual way. As in deep, inexorable, primordial energy of all that we build upon.

Mowgli likes!

Very well said, a mystical yet sensual sound.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:40 am

Regardless of anything else, I am swooning over the video posted on Vimeo today, with Felix and Sabina playing. I've only watched it four times so far.

http://vimeo.com/70864487

It's the playing connection between these two people-with-gubal that grabs and transports me into the heavens!

Thank you so very , very, VERY much for posting that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:13 pm

You need a good sound system and pump up the bass to get a somewhat realistic sound of the Gu.

By the way, some people stated, that the Gubal is a copy or EchoSound's Double Ru ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js7mNaECens ). But in fact the Hang makers experimented with an opening on the upper side long ago in 2000. You can look at such a prototype in the little exhibition of Hang prototypes in the Hangbauhaus. As Ezahn visited the Hangbauhaus several times, it is likely that he was inspired by this Hang prototype to try out an opening on the upper side. Also the main new inventions for the Gubal are the expansion of the volume that reinforce the Helmholtz resonance and the combination of Gu and Ring-Ding. Without the Ring-Ding the Gubal couldn't be played as it is played.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:51 pm

Michael Paschko wrote:
You need a good sound system and pump up the bass to get a somewhat realistic sound of the Gu.

By the way, some people stated, that the Gubal is a copy or EchoSound's Double Ru ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js7mNaECens ). But in fact the Hang makers experimented with an opening on the upperside long ago in 2000. You can look at such a prototype in the little exhibition of Hang prototypes in the Hangbauhaus. As Ezahn visited the Hangbauhaus several times, it is likely that he was inspired by this Hang prototype to try out an opening on the upper side. Also the main new inventions for the Gubal are the expansion of the volume that reinforce the Helmholtz resonance and the combination of Gu and Ring-Ding. Without the Ring-Ding the Gubal couldn't be played as it is played.

I think there are too many people out there ready to call foul on PANArt all the time and it does frustrate me. But good to know as you say above Michael, PANArt already put the hole at the top a long time ago :)

It would of course be nice to get the chance to visit the little exhibition of Hang Prototypes in the Hangbauhaus, but that's an opportunity very few get the chance to do :(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:40 pm

Hi Michael,

Honesty, I have never been there even once. But I would like too one day if I can.

Ezahn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:21 pm

Wow !
I've seen the video of introduction of the Gubal on Vimeo.

It's amazing to see the creators playing of their own creation... Fabulous.
What a pleasure, they share this with us...
And what a great sound !

These few last years, i've been dreaming about the Hang, now i will have two dreams... the Hang and/or the Gubal ^^

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:32 am

Michael Paschko wrote:
As Ezahn visited the Hangbauhaus several times, it is likely that he was inspired by this Hang prototype to try out an opening on the upper side.

Seems that you're wrong on that one then Michael?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:30 pm

ezahnb wrote:
Hi Michael,

Honesty, I have never been there even once. But I would like too one day if I can.

Ezahn

Felix Rohner told me a while ago that you had contact with them, and I understood it the way that it was in the Hangbauhaus. Probably a misunderstanding.

Michael

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:44 pm

Michael Paschko wrote:
ezahnb wrote:
Hi Michael,

Ezahn

Felix Rohner told me a while ago that you had contact with them, and I understood it the way that it was in the Hangbauhaus. Probably a misunderstanding.

Michael

Probably?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:34 pm

Mowgli wrote:
Probably?

I didn't found a better word.
German: "Wohl ein Missverständnis"
http://www.linguee.de/deutsch-englisch/ ... query=wohl
In this context "wohl" means a high likeliness without 100% sureness because of the lack of possibility to witness it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:37 am

There are no issues of copying each other, Panart made a Gubal in January 2000 and they sent me a picture.
As Victor said ‘there is already an example in the DVD ‘A Discreet Revolution’.

I started making the Double Ru prototype in 2009.
Double Ru had 2 hole and the tonefield on both side. but the Gubal not.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:17 pm

You are right, Double Ru and Gubal have quite different instrument concepts.

Just one correction: PANArt's prototype from 2000 is not a Gubal. There is only one similar aspect: The Gu on the upper side. The Gubal is defined by the expansion of the cavity in connection with the combination of Gu and Ring-Ding on the upper side. The Ring-Ding is essential for Gubal playing. Without it the Gubal wouldn't function.

Michael

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:03 pm

Michael Paschko wrote:
The basis is the Helmholtz resonance Eb2 which can be lowered to Bb1.

Gu neck and ring-ding are tuned with
Eb3, Bb3 and Eb4.

The choir of the Gubal includes seven voices:
Bb3, C4, Db4, Eb4, F4, G4, Bb4.

I'm pleased to follow Michael Paschkos invitation to ask a question concerning the mentioned tuning of the Gubal:

Above is said that the tuning of the Gubal would correspond with the IH-tuning (transposed 1 semitone upwards).

As far as I know this would be
Eb3 / Bb3 B3 Db4 Eb4 F4 Gb4 Bb4.

But as Michael Paschko stated above it's
Eb3 / Bb3 C4 Db4 Eb4 F4 G4 Bb4 (wich would be Eb-mixolydian).

Is anybody able to clear this contrariness?!

L&L Eder :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:13 pm

Meister Eder wrote:
Is anybody able to clear this contrariness?!

This is just a misreading. The sentence "The voices in the choir are free tuned in relation to the Ding and correspond to those of the Integral Hang" is located in the paragraph about the Free Integral Hang and refers to the Free Integral Hang, not to the Gubal.

See: viewtopic.php?p=8604#p8604

Michael

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:59 pm

Michael Paschko wrote:
This is just a misreading. (...)

Thank you very much for clarification!

So the Gubal is tuned mixolydian!

I really like the colour the bVII brings to a maj-scale.
That sparkles with much serenity and/or dignity with its specific mood!

Btw: Contrary to a few others I really appreciate the body-form of the Gubal: In my thearpy-room the large central-area is a big carpet - I'd love two or three Gubal-gyros (there we go again with another created plural) living there & inviting the kids to have a go!

I'm really impressed, PANArt!

L&L from the woods, Eder :hug:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:14 pm

I have received my book and read it with great interest. I have listened to the CD and watched the video.

I love the Gubal! :D

It’s not a hang and it’s not a drum, but from what I have read and heard the Gubal seems purposefully poised somewhere between the two.

My impression is one of a musical instrument meant for companionship with other instruments, designed for lively engagement with people. It seems down-to-earth but uplifting, musical and fun. Its sound is playful – almost mischievous. :)
Congratulations to PANArt!

Jump to: