Board index » Foyer » English

Post subject: About the Hang video documentary...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:30 am

Yesterday I got a copy of the famous "Hang Documentary", I was really impressed about the video captions, post-production and general visual and communication quality... at the same time I was impressed about one section of the video when Felix announce outside of the original hang haus the new workshop and the new alliance with international distributors around the world, was funny hear his "WE ARE NOW A COMMUNITY OF FREE ONE" feeling about the hang distribution... how many contradictions, speculations, hard judgments and piss off to PANART still growing up after that beatiful and open minded period of the 1st. generation hang hang with international distribution?.

That documentary shows to me a really good vibe, feeling and a intention to have a good communication and interaction between the makers, musicians and distributors... as Felix says on the video "WE EAR THE MUSIC", could anyone imagine and think about how would be a new hang documentary these days? in which part of this story the hang makers (in my opinion) lost their compass about the FREE ONE feeling?

I curious about which would be the story now if any production studio would try to record a new hang documentary.

Please do not misunderstood this post, I just wanted to share my vision about the documentary and frustration about why the beautiful documentary story has change drastically from 2003-2005 and until now.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: About the Hang video documentary...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:04 am

Hello,

Massimiliano wrote:

That documentary shows to me a really good vibe, feeling and a intention to have a good communication and interaction between the makers, musicians and distributors... as Felix says on the video "WE EAR THE MUSIC", could anyone imagine and think about how would be a new hang documentary these days? in which part of this story the hang makers (in my opinion) lost their compass about the FREE ONE feeling?

I think a sequel of this documentation would be not so different.
The realy good vibe between the most Hangplayers and the Hangmakers remain.

A few people confuse the "FREE" in the story of Panart and the Hang.
They think it is about "Free to do....", but the Free is more a "Free of...".

The hangmakers dont lost the compass. In the days from the video, you speak about, the Hang was very new. Not a demand as today.
Today the situation changed. To many people want a Hang. We all know that.
In the course of time the Hang is refined. More and more Hanghang are sold and the Hangmakers see and hear the echos from all over the world.
Some echos are for their ears and soul more pleasant as others.
Is this wrong?
I think anybody from us, would do the same as Panart. They could only make a limited number of Hanghang each year.
It is pure mathematics, that only a few people (in relation to thousands who want a Hang) could have one.
Panart search for people who send a "pleasant echo" back to the Hanghouse.
You would do the same @Massimiliano.
Anybody would do the same.

That means not, that you are not "Free" with your Hang. I think the most future Hangplayers understand exact, that they are free.

Nothing has changed drastically on the story. Only a few people who are frustrated, because the dont could buy a Hang, or other reasons, are crying louder as the people who are lucky enough to play a Hang.

Dont beliefe everything, what you could read about Panart on internet.
There are a lot of poor and wrong informations. Rumors spreading fast.

There is a relative good communication between the Hangmakers and the Hangplayers. A lot of in real contact and on the virtual internet you could find all "realy important" informations on http://www.hangblog.org .
We have a "News" section on this forum. If their is something from interest you will find it on this place.
The Hangmakers have not the time to speak with the thousands of people about any aspect of their work personally.
They would make Hanghang.
We are not spokesman for Panart. Dont understand me wrong. Hangforum is a private independent project from Michael and me.
Also is Hangblog an independent project from Michael. Fortunately Panart released from time to time something on Hangblog. For example the "Hang Guide". If Michael is not sure about aspects on the articles on Hangblog, he will ask the Hangmakers personally. That makes the informations more meaningful and trustworthy.
I am confident, that you could find good informations about the work of the Hangmakers on these places.

Frank

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:55 pm

Kia Ora,
My first language is English in fact it's my only language but I find it difficult to get my point across in the written word , in fact there are many people here that have far better communication skills with English as their second language :!:

I have a question thats been on my mind for a while now and it has to do with the way Panart choose who can or can't have one of their creations.

Firstly I believe Panart have every right to choose who they give their hang hang too and they can use any means that they want to do the choosing.
Unfortunately for many people one of the criteria is that you must go to the hanghouse in person to find your hang.

I understand the reason for this, the only way to choose the hang that "speaks" to you
is to go and find it among the others.

Having to go to the Hanghouse would be a huge hurdle financially for a lot of people for some it could be as much as 3 times the cost of the Hang,

It would be interesting to know the demographics of those that have made the journey to the Hanghouse for their hang are they young and single with only themselves to support so money is no problem?
Are they "local" where the travel is not so prohibitive and the cost is not high?
Are they rich so they can travel to the hanghouse from anywhere in the world without a thought of the cost?

I wonder about all those people out there who come from ordinary circumstances or who are married with families or out of work those people that can't make the journey to the hanghouse because the financial toll it would take is a price to high.

Many of these people are the people who could most benefit from a Hang, many of these people have had hard lives with tragedy's to live through, to me it's these people that need the healing.

BUt then maybe I'm missing something and thats not what the Hang is about,

I guess in reality thats life and Panart can only do what they can do.

One thing is very obvious, they are not doing it to get rich, they could put their Hang on Ebay and make a fortune

So are there any Hang owners out there over 40?
Married with children?
From places other than Europe?
On the minimum wage?
who have experienced real tragedys in their lives?

Or are you all young, carefree and live next door to the hanghouse :)

frazz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:33 pm

Hi frazz,
an interesting question. From my discussions with Sabina and Felix I know that they are aware that they are not able to satisfy the whole world. So they remembered that the Hang is an Eurpean project. As far as I know all or almost all persons who got a Free Integral Hang in 2010 came from Europe.

It is very easy to spread information all over the world in these times of the World Wide Web. But it is not easy to satisfy the whole world with something that has to be produced personally with one's own hands.

You are right that it is a problem to travel from the one side of the earth to the other to get a Hang. I think the consequence will be that the Hang will become a more regional project.

This is not a happy message for Asians, Africans, Americans and others, I know.

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:03 am

great questions and answers... :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:15 am

Kelly wrote:
great questions and answers... :)

I agree, thanks for that, very interesting!
These are questions I asked myself too. Not a happy message for all the people out there, but I understand that there's no other solution at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:46 am

frazzledfozzle wrote:
Kia Ora,

So are there any Hang owners out there over 40?
Married with children?
From places other than Europe?
On the minimum wage?
who have experienced real tragedys in their lives?

Or are you all young, carefree and live next door to the hanghouse :)

frazz

Hey Frazz,

I may be in some of your categories:

I'm 43
I'm married
I have two sons, aged 11 and 14
I'm on a minimum wage
I have experienced real tragedies (I must object, that "real" tragedies depends on every single person.... Lost of a love? Death? Illness? Loss of identity? Got fat? Skinny? Your favourite football team lost the championship?)

The only category I do not correspond is the fact, that I'm not living outside Europe.

Ok, so what's the point. I totally agree with you in saying that travelling to Bern is cost intensive and that from some far away places it will cost two or three times as much as the price of a Hang.
I also agree to the fact, that this financial aspect seems to make the acquiring of a Hang a even further away and apparently unreachable goal.

But let me tell you shortly my story. As I already told you, I'm married, two children. Usual stuff as all over the world: No money left every end of the month, at latest by the 20th the money is gone, payday being the last of the month. Loans for the house, two cars, lots of stress trying to fit all the requests of life into a small budget. I think this is a common situation for a lot of people out there. I'm not complaining about my situation it is just a statement of the status quo.

The day I heard a Hang play at a concert. The day that changed my life. I deeply wanted one. I wrote the letter, not knowing how to pay the Hang and how to find the money for the journey. No plan at all and, most of all, absolutely no tiny Euro left for this in our monthly budget. But I wrote the letter. At least, I had to try, what the hell! Unexpectedly, I got an answer a few months later with the burning desire for a Hang still strong in my chest. Hilarious inner dances, waves of joy. I quickly made some calculations: I live in northern Italy, 150km north of Verona. Journey to Bern would be 1.200km back and forth. If I go with the car it would cost me around around 200€ + hotel room. I could save some money on meals by putting myself on a diet for two days. But all together it would cost me around 400€. Ok, I admit, compared to somebody that has to reach Bern from Australia, Tokio, New York, I'm really a stone-throw away. But, at the end of the day, I would travel for two days, spend one day in Bern. Three days in all. If you came from an other continent, you could reach Bern in the same time. And be back in the same time. The difference is, you'd spend more money.

So, that's the point. How did I manage to get the money with my very limited Yes-I-have-a-family-and-a-house-to-maintain-Budget??

The first secret is: Small steps. Instead of going for another beer, I took the money and put it away. Instead of going out that saturday, I stayed at home, took a 20€ bill (physically, I mean!) and put that away.

The second secret is: Network. I put different videos from Youtube on my Smartphone. I showed it to everyone. I told everyone I knew. I asked family and friends. Everyone of my friends gave me something from a 2€ coin (smallest) to a 100€ bill (biggest, thank you, mother in law!!).

The third secret is: Faith. I had a little more than a year from the confirmation that Sabina and Felix would give me a Hang to the effective day I could go to Bern to get it. One year. Well, with the help of my friends and my family (none of them is rich, all fairly "normal" people) I was able to collect 700€. I needed 1.300€+400€= 1.700€. So, two days before my travel to Bern, still 1.000€ missing.
What to do? First of all, I never lost the faith. I'm not specifying in what or in who. It has nothing to do with religious faith in none of the christian, moslem, jewish or any other Gods. I just felt this strong faith, that everything would be ok, even two days before.
My brother promised me, one day before starting for Bern, that he could come up with the missing 1.000€. The same day, in the evening, he called me again and said, that he could not. I was not angry with him, I still believed that everything would be fine.
What I did not know is that my wife spoke with her father. Her father already knew about my biggest desire.
Well, to cut a long story short, the morning of day X, just one hour of my planned departure, the door bell rang and my wife's father stood in the door. He handed me over an envelope containing 1.100€. I was so happy. I could not describe this with words. I told him, that only 1.000€ where needed but he answered "The additional 100€ are a gift from me. Make sure you eat something on your travel". And if the question would arise: Yes, I would have gone to Bern, anyway. Even with only 700. I would have chosen my Hang, given the 700 to Sabina and Felix and told them, I would come back to take my hang, when I had the rest of the money.

So, this is my story. What I want to say with this: If you want it really hard, you'll get it. Somehow, sometime. But you'll get it. In my perception it was kind of a test I had to go through. Now I have my Hang and I'm still paying 100€ to my father in law and will do so for the next seven months. But hey, who cares! I have a Hang....

I really hope to be able to wake up the same faith in you. Go for it. Have faith. Write the letter.

Hangalicious greetz

Dietmar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:57 am

Quote:
But it is not easy to satisfy the whole world with something that has to be produced personally with one's own hands.

This is reality. No doubt.

Quote:
I think the consequence will be that the Hang will become a more regional project.

But there seem to settle this situation by regional restrict sales(If "sale" offend anyone ,I should put "benefaction"? :rolleyes: ).

Europe's demand for Hang are NOT overwhelming?

I don't belive Felix&Sabina take this "ostrich logic" strategy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:55 pm

Dietmar,
I really love your story, thanks so much for sharing it. It's amazing what life can bring if you have the right attitude :)

frazz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:13 pm

frazzledfozzle wrote:
Dietmar,
I really love your story, thanks so much for sharing it. It's amazing what life can bring if you have the right attitude :)

frazz

Thx frazz!

I hope it could incourage you to take the step!

Just for the curiosity... where are you from?

Greetz, Dietmar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:03 pm

Dietmar I'm in New Zealand which is South East of Australia,
It's a small country of about 4.5million people and a very long way from the HangHouse ! although probably very similar in some of our landscapes I think.

frazz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:13 pm

frazzledfozzle wrote:
Dietmar I'm in New Zealand which is South East of Australia,
It's a small country of about 4.5million people and a very long way from the HangHouse ! although probably very similar in some of our landscapes I think.

frazz

Hey frazz,

no need to explain. I'm mad about Lord of the Rings and I know exactly where New Zealand is located! Wonderful country! I got interested about your country after seeing LOTR, learned a lot about it, the culture, Maori, landscapes, cities.
A very close friends sister has been in Wellington vor two years and she told me a lot about it.
Definitely a place I want to go, once in my life.
Maybe you invite me there and I'll bring my Hang with me, so you get the chance to play with it... how about that?? ^_^

And yes, you're right, in some ways I live in a similar, alpine environment. Deers, foxes, rabbits and eagles...

cheers..
D.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:43 pm

Dietmar, lovely story! I would like to hear from you how you are sharing the sound of the hang & how it is changing your life. Did you come home with A Free Integral Hang?

Saggio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:22 pm

Saggio wrote:
Dietmar, lovely story! I would like to hear from you how you are sharing the sound of the hang & how it is changing your life. Did you come home with A Free Integral Hang?

Saggio

Hey Saggio,

yes, of course, I came back with my Free Integral Hang. It's here right beside me and if i reach out with my hand, I can touch it ^_^.

Still not aware of my luck.

Are you Italian?

Dietmar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:45 pm

@ Dietmar, great story :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:05 am

Kelly wrote:
@ Dietmar, great story :)

@Kelly

Actually by reading it again myself I realize how lucky I was... and still how lucky I'am right now.

There are times where it is better to give up, but most of the times it is better to keep on your way. Without trying to hard, gentle but firm, continue on my way to a certain destination.

Thank you for appreciating.

Dietmar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:08 pm

Hi Dietmar,

Thanks for your story I feel identified with your story in such of things, and regarding this:

Quote:
"If you want it really hard, you'll get it"

Believe me when I say that I'm 100% with you on this, I'm a bit afraid about the future of the hang, and I really want one, but my latest two years was a combination between faith and frustration, is really hard when you feel that something like a hang could change your life in many ways but you'll never know when you will get yours... anyways I will waiting that called from Bern and see if the miracle would be possible, but again scared about the future of the hang and how the inaccessible is right know :-(.

Thanks for all of your comments!

Massimiliano

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:38 pm

Yes, Dietmar, I am Italian-American, living here in Arizona, USA. I own 3 hanghang (none are for sale at any price). Requested a chance to buy a Free Integral Hang but got a form letter from PanaArt turning me down. Seems they no longer sell to recording artists & musicians.

But my Golden Gate Halo from Pantheon Steel will be arriving Friday. It has a quite glorious sound. Very much looking forward to playing it.

Saggio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:50 pm

Massimiliano wrote:
Yesterday I got a copy of the famous "Hang Documentary", I was really impressed about the video captions, post-production and general visual and communication quality...

Can i receive a link or so to download this documentary or just watch it??

:)

thanks
ciao to all hang friends!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:57 pm

Quote:
Can i receive a link or so to download this documentary or just watch it??

:)

thanks
ciao to all hang friends!!

Hey,

you can find the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIgPjiA8gHk

Greets

Dietmar

Jump to: