Board index » Foyer » English

Post subject: New hang CD
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:32 am

Hey folks,
It's been awfully quiet on the hang forum lately, maybe it's because of the crazy busy time that often leads up to Christmas...?
Anyway, we have a new CD out, here is the link if you want to check out some samples. (Tracks 2 to 18 are all hang.) http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/samjjana3
Cheers!
:mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: New hang CD
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:31 pm

Hi Samjjana,
Speaking for myself I think it's always going to be quiet in the English Hangforum because most openminded people wouldn't be wanting to have to go through a process of applying and being accepted or rejected just to enter a forum.

If you pop in to handpan.org you will be blown away by how much discussion goes on over there.
There's many different sub forums and lots of very cool people I know you will enjoy it,
It's a shame that hangforum has gone down the path it has but oh well never mind :P

frazz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:28 am

Hi frazz,
I think you misconceive the concept of the registration for the Hang Players Room.

aaron_in_sf planted the rumour at handpan.org, that there was a "blacklist". I think you are a victim of this rumour. To avoid such rumours here the statistics:
Today there are 39 forum members who are registered for the Hang Players Room.
There were 2 persons who wanted to join the Hang Players Room but we said no.
There are 2 other persons who started a discussion on some aspects of our policy and after that discussion both sides agreed that they hadn't any interest that they join the Hang Players Room.

The Hang Players Room is a new experiment at the Internet. By now nobody knows whether this concept will work or not. Open-minded people are able to give a new concept a chance. Narrow-minded people complain that a new concept is new and not traditional.

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:31 am

Hi Michael,
Thanks for your reply.
You could be right but for me I dont like the concept of having to apply to enter a forum it means that the forum can be skewed to a certain idealogy which tends to make it more closed minded?

Yes it can be a pain to sort through some of the rubbish that some people post but like the saying goes one mans trash is another mans treasure. { different context but same sort of meaning}

It's like saying you can join my club but only if you have the same views as I do which gets a bit boring after a while dont you think?

It's good that you have 39 members registered but they have to actually post something to make it an interesting forum.
Looks like Samjjana is finding it very quiet in there so I'm thinking that the 39 probably need to speak up to get things going.

I have no clue how many peeps are registered to handpan.org but everytime I go there there are new posts in nearly all of the major rooms, makes for a very alive and interesting forum

frazz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:43 am

Hello,

@frazzle. The most registered members on the hangplayers room speak german. The reason is, that Panart invite people who got a new Hang from the Hanghouse. It seems, that at the moment the most people who have got a Hang are from countrys where german is the main language.

And they have for sure not all the same view!

You speak about Handpan.org. Yes, there are more people. No wonder. The Hangplayer room is for Hangplayers. And this are not so much people as so called "Handpan" people.
I read also on Handpan.org from time to time. If people have questions about the Hang they dont find correct infos in a lot of cases.
A lot of wrong rumor.
And it seems that a few people like that, because they dont get a Panart Hang, or have other problems with the hangmakers.

For example. Here is a discussion of an very first Hang. The people over there talk about "pre pang" and if the Hang is spun or not.
They have no clue and the topic bring more rumour.
In the meantime the people could find correct informations on this topic, but nobody read there, because it is an old topic.

http://www.handpan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1498

To explain it correct. A few first Hanghang where brush-finished. Not spun and not pre-pang.

Yes, there are a lot of postings. The postings about the Panart Hang are 80% negative and full of wrong informations. Great????????

We could not make so much speculation on this forum. This is true.
If anybody has a question about the Panart Hang , the history, the technic or something else we will find out the correct answer very soon.

Unfortunally there is no waiting list where we could post all every day our number on the list and Panart has no counter on a website. So we cant spend applause how busy they are. ;)

We have smileys on the website. I dont know, why our members post not every day a lot of smiley postings?

By the way. It is christmas time and a few people are maybe busy in the real world and not so much on the internet. A good idea.

Frank

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:44 am

Hi Frank,
I'm not sure why you say that 80% of posts about the hang on handpan.org are negative, I dont get that vibe at all.

Yes there are some people that are frustrated but overall most are very respectful towards their hang and also for the most part the hang makers.

I hope you took the time to set people straight at handpan.org regarding the way the first hanghang were made, a forum relys on peoples input so others can learn.

There's no wait list for the Hang or the Halo so no posting of numbers there.
There have been postings of numbers on the Bells forum but then I liken it to Christmas or an overseas holiday where it's natural to count down the days.

As for the smilies I don't count those as a posting to me they are just smilies and generally are in response to something someone has said.

As for people being too busy to be on the internet because of Christmas I'm not sure thats a reality we find in our house that the internet is used more because we have more time with being off work for the holidays and also Samjjana first posted about being lonely in the English forum way back on Dec 9.

So rather than being a lonely ozzy voice in the English hangforum wilderness I thought she might like to come and visit at handpan.org and see if she likes it.

Lastly of course you are right when you say that hangforum is just for hang so it stands to reason that there will be more postings at handpan.org as they take in all types of handpans.

Hope you have a fabulous Christmas

frazz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:55 pm

Hey everyone,

Interesting discussion.
My thoughts are:

Since the change in the forum definitely the English discussions have dropped significantly. I hope it will gain momentum. It appears to me that English second language German speakers used to post more often in the English section. Perhaps it needs that to help it gather some steam. If it doesn't get some more activity maybe it will end up just being a German speaking forum!

I actually really like the concept, as it still completey allows anyone to post - just as it did before - but it offers an extra option where you can confidently and openly use your own name in a protected forum where you also have a clear sense of who belongs to it.

With my Public Relations consultant hat on, if the number of English posts have dropped so significantly it offers an opportunity for the moderators to consider how they might approach making significant changes in future. If any new concept is suggested as an idea in the forum first, there is the possibility not only of getting feedback, but potentially some good input of ideas that can improve the concept or even create something that was not on the radar but that would be even better. When members are more invested in co-creating they are likely to be more engaged by it. Even at this stage, asking members via email to offer comments and feedback about why they aren't posting might be a very useful way to work out the best way forward. Just a suggestion.

I appreciate that there are other forums. Since this forum started I haven't felt any need to visit any other ones, and I will 'hang' in here a while longer in support of it improving. Obviously if there are no conversations to be had here it will become necessary for me to explore alternatives (or learn German!)

Merry Christmas everyone!
:mrgreen:

Jump to: