Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » Music, Video and Concerts » Hang music and video

Post subject: Music Alchemy concert - hanghang and assorted instruments
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:38 am

Hello everybody,

We are delighted to let everyone know we have just completed uploading eight videos from our (San Jose) Music Alchemy concert to YouTube!

It was truly a magical night of harmony and bliss. We had other wonderful musicians joining us so there are some lovely variations on our solo and duo performances, including two hanghang, improvisation singing, percussion and didgeridoo.

I really like Marianela's improvisation singing, and if you feel like a bit of 'meditation' the Om video will probably also be to your liking. The hanghang duo with Tapado's added percussion is my favourite though, and it is interesting to see how the playing styles blend - I play with more of a melody focus and Camilo plays with more of a percussion focus. (It's interesting - I have djembes and am happy to play the usual drumming percussion style on them, and I have noticed many, many hang players do this on their hanghang, but from when I first got my hang to this day, it has always guided me more to a melodious style of playing - when I try to play it like a drum it just doesn't feel right. I will just have to save that for the djembes!)

Anyway, the whole concert was improvisation, and we had not all performed together before this (Just a couple of quick, patchy gatherings of some of us!) It flowed beautifully, felt divine and ended right on time, even though none of us was watching the time :D

http://www.youtube.com/user/samjjana1

Enjoy!
...we certainly did - all of us (so much so that we are doing it all again in July and August...can't wait!)

Post subject: Re: Music Alchemy concert - hanghang and assorted instruments
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:23 pm

Hi,

i just watched three of this videos. The rest tommorow. I like your style and the music. You give the Hang a lot of "room". A very quite and peacefull atmosphere. :)
Thank you for sharing this.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:15 pm

Apologies all, I have tried to upload a new version of the hanghang video that I mentioned was my favourite, because the first one cut out a little bit before the end, but in trying to put a new one, I am having a problem with YouTube - it rejected the second upload as a duplicate (we are learning!) so at the moment it's not there at all...I will try to rectify it in the next few hours!

Thanks Frank by the way, comment appreciated.

:D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:20 am

Okay, all fixed, hanghang video reinstated :)

Frank, if it is not too much to ask, I would really appreciate it if you could return to it to add the 'nice atmosphere' comment and the star rating again. Sorry, but it disappeared with the first video! :?

Jump to: