Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » Music, Video and Concerts » Hang music and video

Post subject: Poor Hang...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:54 pm

http://vimeo.com/1379563

Poor Hang... :?

Post subject: Re: Poor Hang...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:57 am

Hi,

yes, this is realy poor. I think this Hang found the "wrong" owner. To make a machine from the Hang show that he dont understand how wonderfull this instrument is. Only my opinion.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:59 pm

Same here. I don't know, but this is the wrong way to play a Hang. For me. It is not for nothing that "Hang" means "hand".

Yes, it was an experiment in the video, but it hurts me to see this Hang played by an machine... Maybe I'm too thin-skinned.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:03 pm

Hey @beatzekatze thanks for this post. Although it hurts to see and hear it of course, this vid was recorded here in Portugal in a place (Casa da Música = House of music) where there are lots of big concerts and musical events.

I sent an email to the uploader of the vid to try and know if that Hang belongs to someone that lives here in Portugal... as far as I knew until I saw the vid there were only 2 hanghang here..! Maybe there is an IH now, and I'm heading up north this weekend so I'm going to try to meet him. Maybe even talk a bit about this experiment they did..!

Sérgio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:09 pm

Hey Sérgio, I'm curious about the answer!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:25 pm

It's a good example for the motto: "Why to do it easily if you can complicate it?"

It can be an interesting technique for handicapt people who have not good enough motor funktion to play an instrument directly. So you could be able to control an instrument by very slight movements of a single finger or your nose or your head or whatever you are able to move. The technique could also be used to train motor function of severely handicapt persons. But the question is whether a Hang is the adequate sound device. But it could be, that a handicapt person has the whish to play the hang. Then this could be a solution.

But in any other cases it is much easier and better to play the Hang directly with the hands instead of using the hands to control a computer program that plays the Hang using robot sticks.

Ix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:58 pm

I think this experiment is more to do with learning about robotics than it is to do with the hang specifically. Maybe a couple of those devices were striking a little too hard but I did not wince for the Hang in this video - I dont think it was damaged, and I dont think that the owner always plays it in this way.

I really feel to say that this Hang has found the 'wrong owner' is unfair. It seems to me to be very generous that the owner of this IH has allowed people who are learning to use his/her instrument for a weekend to help to educate themselves. I was interested to see this device, being someone who is fascinated by robotics myself. I wont start to use a robot to play my Hang though!

Ix - yes it could be good for disabled people as well, to be able to affect a Hang or indeed any other instrument using that kind of environmental control.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:18 pm

Hey guys,

So I got an answer back from the uploader of the vid and apparently this IH belongs to the Educational Service of the "Casa da Música" and like he says "has been used in several activities"... I feel for the Hang actually... who knows what they're doing to it...!

And yes Mr. Fox is right the workshop where this Hang was used was regarding music and robotics so that's why they made this experiment!

I don't completely disagree with having a Hang in a cultural place its a beautiful instrument has we all know but it is kind of a risk.. but maybe they are aware of it and send it for retune from time to time..!

About the experiment I just think they could have at least done it with more protection in those devices and also I don't think they were striking too hard but some of them were not well positioned so it stroked the rim of the notes and not around the notes..!

I also asked if I could play a bit since I'm gonna be so close to this Hang and he said it might be possible! Only then will I be able to tell you how that Hang really sounds like and if these activities they perform with the Hang aren't affecting its balance..!

Greets
Sérgio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:14 am

Hi,

@Sergio. Thank you. I hope you have a nice journey and that you could play this IH.

It is not easy to explain why I wrote that this Hang has the wrong owner. IMHO
I understand, that this was an experiment about robotic. I think the Hang is one of the most "human" instruments in the world.
I have a very strong connection to my Hanghang. It is an instrument to touch, strike, contact, stroke...
In special moments you can hear the call. It is the call deep inside your soul. You need the direct contact with the Hang. This is the "purpose" of the Hang. The human hand in contact with the Hang.
Inside the robot is nothing like that. Only my opinion. For me my Hang is to value for such experiments. An Hangrobot is the total contrast to Panarts idea to bring the human hand on the "Pang" surface.

I hope now it is a little bit better to understand what I want to say.

Greetings
Frank

Jump to: