Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » Music, Video and Concerts » Hang music and video

Post subject: Manu Delago - Two handsul of sound
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrJVUsnsimw&feature=sub

Awesome piece!
I love his style.

Post subject: Re: Manu Delago - Two handsul of sound
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:39 am

Hi,

I agree, that Manu is a very good musician. I like him very much also on drumset. I like the music from the Handmade project.
He is a very virtuosic Hangplayer. No question.
His Mono Desire Hangsolo is on my favorites list on my youtube channel, because it impressed me as an musician.

I play my Hang now over three years. I think about the meaning and sense from this sound sculpture a lot of. I am sure, that the next steps in evolution of the Hang will bring more and more light in the question "what is the Hang and what is the Hang not?".
With the new Free Integral Hang such videos with different Hanghang are not longer possible. Because of there is not a 440 Hz A reference tuning.
This dont make me sad, because I see another potential in the Hang.
Manu is a great musician. He would it be also without the Hang.
A lot of people in the world need the Hang to find a way to connect with their inner world. Personally I dont know another music instrument, what could help me to reach this so easy as the Hang.
So, my opinions about this video are divided.
The musician inside me, like the music. I am also an percussion player and drummer and I play a little bit guitar. I hear a lot of music and my musical roots are in Jazz and Funk Music.
The Hangplayer inside me, said to me more and more that this is not the real potential inside the Hang. You dont need the Hang to make such good music. But I need the Hang to find myself in this hectic and chaotic world.
For that it is enough to put the Hang on the lap. Only 8 notes and millions of sounds. I need no second Hang in the same time, and I need no layers for that.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:42 pm

I know what you mean.
For me it's quite similar.

The Musician in me says: "Awesome"

From a musical point of view, this "piece" ( in my previous post I used that word for a reason) is amazing.

But I don't quite get why there is this "Hang Apartheid".
Musical Instrument - Soundsculpture.

Why is there no combination accepted?
That's what it looks like, please correct me if I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:09 pm

Hi,

I only want to say, that I personally like the other aspect of the Hang more, than the musical part. The part where I am not the musician (as we understand an musician in the western world).
I think for a musician the Free Integral Hang is not so interesting, if he want to make recordings with other instruments or such layer videos and recordings. This will work with one Hang, but not with two different together.
And this is for some musicians maybe sad. For me not.

Frank

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:09 pm

Yeah.
But it when you phrase it like this it often sounds like a Hang (especially the FIH) isn't a thing for musicians.

Why not?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:44 pm

I like the polar bear hat...

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:43 pm

I love this sound !

And I love this music too : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3HzESGCoZ8

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:15 am

another one from manu delago - but attention: music and percussive hang use! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:17 am

here´s the link:
http://vimeo.com/13452730

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:02 am

I don't see where the conflict lies, its a great piece of music, music composed on the Hang for a Hang that was designed to be a musical instrument... just enjoy it for what it is regardless of the issues now surrounding whether or not its ok to like this music as the Hang is now no longer seen as an instrument but a sound sculpture.

The FIH is the next phase of Hang from PANart its tuned so it does not fit in with other instruments and composition will be much more difficult, but you should still be able to layer it like Manu has done here... creating a beautiful compilation of sound from the one Hang.

Ok so again its not the way that PANart see their Hang being used, but I think people should still be allowed the freedom to do with the Hang as they please, just as long as they're not destroying it of course or causing it to require multiple retunes in its life.

For me the Didje has the same emotional attachment as the Hang, its a thing of beauty, something that is very personal to play and evokes similar emotions when I play as the Hang... a trance like deep synergy between me and the instrument. Some Didje are works of art, some can even look like playable wooden sculptures, they sound great played on their own or as part of a musical ensemble/jam.

I think I know where you're coming from Frank, in that you enjoy the music that is made on the Hang but you enjoy also and probably moreso now the oneness of being just you and the Hang... the freedom that allows you to enjoy of not having to fit with any other musical form. I yean to hear a FIH in the flesh before I make judgement on it at this stage though... I hoope to meet one at HangOUt :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:42 am

Hi guys, regarding fact to apply a 1st. generation of hang hang with music like jazz... check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deiviXjkshg

:D

Regards

Massimiliano

Jump to: