Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » The world of sheet steel sounds

Post subject: New Halo scales with mp3 examples
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:59 am

Hi,

on the Halo website are the new Halo scales with sound examples.

http://halo.pantheonsteel.com/Scales.aspx

The mp3 start with the Halo scales played note by note very slow.
After a while we can hear the Halos played more fast and the notes are sounding together.

Slow played it has for my ears an interesting sound. In the fast parts a lot of frequencys mix together in that what i called in the foretime "soundslobber". It is a similar effect i heard on some Hankdrums. Some Hapi videos on youtube show a style where the player stop the notes before we have this effect.
I think for such an "sound layer" it needs a lot of balance between all the frequencys. This is what I mean if i say it is not in balance. The notes played alone sound interesting. Maybe the tuning is ok. But together we have a long sustain and the result is a "sound layer".
And this is for my ears not a nice sound.

"Soundslobber" is the only word what I have to explain a little bit what I mean. I hear some members say, that I am negative and that everything is cool and ok.
Music is only a matter of taste. For me it is an not harmonic sound.
I am sure some people like it. This is great. It is only my personally opinion.

On the Halo website Kyle said the Halo is their version of the "world famous PANArt Hang..."
With this statement he open the discussion for comparisons between Hang and Halo.
On a Hang it is not possible to make such sounds.
Not on a first, not on a second and not on the last generation.

Kyle said that the 8 tone field Halo is not so perfect as the 7 tone field. But he offer this to sell. This is another big difference in the philosophy of PANArt and Pantheon.
I am sure, that PANArt all the time only sell the best Hang they can make. You see the result. They offer only the Integral Hang at the moment. Why? Because it is the best Hang they can build at the moment.
For Kyle it seems not so important only to sell the best what he can do.

I am curious, what you think about the new Halo mp3´s and special about the sound in the faster playing parts.

Greetings
Frank

Post subject: Re: New Halo scales with mp3 examples
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:07 am

Hi,

I just see, that in the time I wrote my posting the Halo website changed. I dont know the reasons. If you go to my link you must "log in". Are the mp3´s only for members of the Pantheon website? Why?
I dont delete my posting. It is likely, that the website is only just under construction and the mp3´s are back very soon.
Their are 4 scales with 7 notes (including Pygmy) and 4 scales with 8 notes. No Hijaz at the moment.
You can belief me, that only 30 minutes ago it was not needfull to "log in". Maybe the mp3´s are only for the people who are on the list for the first Halos and the other people should not hear the examples?
I only wonder at the moment.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:41 am

i don't have access to scale but i'm on the list and i'm logg in ????
it don't work , why ?????

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:44 am

oh !! it's ok !!!
i'm sorry ; i've found it !!!!!

i'm going to hear all the scales !!!! all this day !!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:51 am

meurk wrote:
oh !! it's ok !!!
i'm sorry ; i've found it !!!!!

i'm going to hear all the scales !!!! all this day !!!!

Hi,

that means, that only registered people can hear the mp3 sound examples from the Halo!?

I hope nobody think that this is a little bit an "elitist" thing. ;)
Why Pantheon dont want that anybody can hear the sound of the Halo?
For me this says more than words.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:38 pm

if i understand , the MP3 examples are not HALOs played but some records note put together !!!

am i right ????

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:42 pm

meurk wrote:
if i understand , the MP3 examples are not HALOs played but some records note put together !!!

am i right ????

Hi,

what do you mean? What you hear is the Halo. I dont read anything what say that this is no Halo. Yes, this is the Halo sound. Anything else make no sense. Or are more informations on the "secret" Halo website where I have no access? I only found the mp3´s.
What do you think about the sound?
Or do you mean, that this are sampled notes put together on a sequenzer to make a demo.
I dont can beliefe that Kyle do something like that for promote the Halo.

Greetings
Frank

Last edited by Funky on Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:48 pm

so i don't understand : Kyle said :

""" The most important thing to know about these mock-ups is that THEY AREA NOT RECORDINGS OF ACTUAL HALOS!

Rather, these are simulations created by a very good friend, Aaron Ximm, using HALO sounds sampled from one of Danny Sorensen’s YouTube videos.

We provide these mock-ups so you can get a sense of the mood and range of each tuning as it will sound on a HALO -- which is quite different from how these scales can sound on other instruments!

Each simulation introduces the scale both ascending and descending, demonstrates how a run up and down either side of the HALO would sound, and finally demonstrates how some simple interval patterns would sound.

We recommend you listen to the whole MP3, not just the scales at the beginning. In particular, the dense clusters of sustained tones should give a sense of what chord-colors to expect from the sustained notes of the actual instrument as you play.

Disclaimer: the response, depth of bass, resonance, character, and balance of a real HALO is IN NO WAY communicated in these files. Just listen to Danny’s actual videos of his HALO in play and compare it to the mock-up of that same scale, and you will hear at once what we mean! """

so what is a simulation ???

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:02 pm

Hi,

ok, I only listened to the mp3 and their was not this explaining from Kyle. I have no access to the "secret" parts of the website, because i am not registered for a Halo.

I dont understand why he post this "sampled" examples and dont make recording from a real Halo. If he offer this scales he has build Halos in this scales. Or not?
So i am right and what we hear is "soundslobber". I hope for all soon Halo owners that a real Halo dont sound like that.

Greetings
Frank

Last edited by Funky on Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:04 pm

and so what do you think of the scales ???

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:13 pm

meurk wrote:
and so what do you think of the scales ???

Hi,

scales are only a matter of taste. I like some Hang scales more than others. To have different scales is for a lot of musicians an intersting thing. If I had the choice of a Hang in this scales I would favorite the Pygmy.

What I dont understand is, that Kyle offer 8 notes Halos at the moment. ChristopherA post in another topic, that Kyle said the 7 tone field Halo has a slightly better sound and that a number of prototypes with the higher G# just never sounded good.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:44 pm

yes the sound is not exacly the same from 7 or 8 tones ...

but Kyle explain very well that he had problem with note higher than G# ...
that why he can't sell the first AKE BONO scale from the prototype (first video) with 8 notes and the G# !!
so he propose other scales with just a G (it's the max)

sorry for bad translation , it's what i understand ...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:00 pm

other words from kyle :

" This is not to say that an eight-note model will lack in clarity or sustain. Rather, an eight-note model trades a small amount of each those things for the enhanced harmonic possibilities that come with more expansive tunings. An eight-note model will have a different, slightly darker, character (and feel under the hands): different, but not “worse.” "

and i don't find the line where he explain that he never send a halo witch he had confidence on ... sorry
he explain that better than me ....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:00 pm

Interesting, I am guessing that it is the fact that these are synthesised runs of notes and not in fact tuned halos that is the reason for the private nature of this information. I assume Kyle wants people who are purchasing to be able to make something approaching an informed choice when asking for different scales.

Frank - I have not heard these mp3s as I am not on the halo purchasers list but I am curious as to what you describe as soundslobber sounds like... On my Hang for instance, there are some notes that do not sound sweet together as a chord, so it is possible to hear some dissonance produced by the mingling sustained notes on a fast run - Does this mean my Hang needs a tuning? or is it normal? remember I have a second hand Hang.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:28 pm

MrFox wrote:

Frank - I have not heard these mp3s as I am not on the halo purchasers list but I am curious as to what you describe as soundslobber sounds like... On my Hang for instance, there are some notes that do not sound sweet together as a chord, so it is possible to hear some dissonance produced by the mingling sustained notes on a fast run - Does this mean my Hang needs a tuning? or is it normal? remember I have a second hand Hang.

Hi,

that some notes dont sound together on an Hang is not what I mean. This is normal on any instrument. I dont know much about musical theorie, so i cant explain better what i mean.
I used the term "sound slobber" because the german translation means "Klangmatsch". If a few tones sound together and build a "sound layer" it could be a balanced harmonic sound or a unbalanced more chaotic sound.

I realy thought, that the examples are real Halo recordings. I think I was on the website just in the moment where the website has an update and so i dont must log in + there was no explaining that I dont hear a real instrument.
Now I dont wonder, that I only hear this soundslobber. The tones dont work together. Samples are static snapshots and such complex instruments are very hard to sample.
I understand, that the examples are made only from Dannys youtube videos.
I dont understand Kyle. He want to promote something, what he called a "piece of art" with such a bad electronic work.
He offer this scales. How can he do this, when he dont build Halos with this scales at the moment?
I cant imagine, that he has build Halos with this scales and dont use a real Halo for a recording. That makes less work as seperate all the notes from Dannys Video + it gives a real idea how the scales sound on a Halo.
To post this examples and make a statement that a Halo sound totally different makes for me no sense. So I would never come up with the idea that I hear not a real Halo.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:45 pm

Funky wrote:

I cant imagine, that he has build Halos with this scales and dont use a real Halo for a recording. That makes less work as seperate all the notes from Dannys Video + it gives a real idea how the scales sound on a Halo.
To post this examples and make a statement that a Halo sound totally different makes for me no sense. So I would never come up with the idea that I hear not a real Halo.

Greetings
Frank

I just listened to the audio update from Kyle and it seems that they have produced HALOs with the scales they have posted but just haven't had time to make quality recordings of each one; hence, Aaron Ximm using Danny's videos to take the notes and create the simulations.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:27 pm

I believe the "secretive" nature of the MP3's is not clandestine. But rather what MrFox suggested.... a place where those that will be receiving the first 250 will be able to choose their tuning.

And whether these scale samples are synthesized or not, in a short period of time, you will hear the real samples, from real owners. I would imagine that even if you were #100 on the list, you'll be afforded the opportunity to hear a "real" HALO in the scale you may be interested in.

Perhaps there is "soundslobber" being read from the texts, and perhaps being a bit misunderstood ? ;)

Also to consider, obviously changes are happening fast enough on the website right now to indicate that it is being updated. Perhaps before judgement is cast, we should wait it out, and look when finished. This is just an opinion, of course.

http://www.imagineyedesign.com
http://www.youtube.com/imagineye

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:22 pm

paranoiagirl wrote:

I just listened to the audio update from Kyle and it seems that they have produced HALOs with the scales they have posted but just haven't had time to make quality recordings of each one; hence, Aaron Ximm using Danny's videos to take the notes and create the simulations.

Hi,

it needs not much time to make a recording. All recordings with less quality are better than these samples. I speak with a few people and at the end for me it is possible that Kyle make no recording, because he has not the Halos to do this in his workshop.
Kyle has the time to make a video in a steel factory and a recording where he explained some updates, but not to record a few notes from an existing Halo? Sorry, i dont beliefe that.

Greetings
Frank

PS. I see, that the link works now for anybody and that there is now a information that this are only electronic sounds and not a real Halo.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:50 pm

Funky wrote:
I see, that the link works now for anybody and that there is now a information that this are only electronic sounds and not a real Halo.

Again, within a matter of weeks, real owners with real HALO will, I am sure, be playing their own samples for all to hear. If these were the only samples we are able to hear a couple months from now, then I would be worried.

And as simple as some tasks may be, I would imagine it hard for any of us to really understand the scope of the entire undertaking and responsibilities that Kyle and Jim are dealing with. Many "simple" tasks can become very overwhelming, very fast.

There will be no satiating the critical public, that I can see here for sure. Some opinions I'm sure, just will not change. Not that it's a bad thing. ;) But I am sure much "thoughtful" discussion will come from all of this. :)

http://www.imagineyedesign.com
http://www.youtube.com/imagineye

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:04 pm

after listenning the scales all the day ;) ... i love all of them ... :P ;) :D

i prefer for my choice an 8 tone tunings ... and my 2 favorites are :
1- Xiao Xiong Diao 8-)
2 - Kiavara

i love pygmy to but i like one note more !!!

i have plenty of time to choise so i wait for futur videos !!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jump to: