Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » The world of sheet steel sounds

Post subject: From negative to positive
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:44 pm

Hello all
There's been alot of discussion here about nomenclature and an understanding of the Hang. There has been alot of focus on what not to call a Hang, how not to play a Hang. Perhaps we would better spend our time and energy providing the positive side of this argument.

I'm not interested in discussing words here, but playing style, technique, approach etc. How do you play the Hang? From my early reading in the hang community the message was "approach the Hang without preconception" which was a fair thing to say, until from all angles there are strong words about which approaches are wrong. So how do we play the Hang?

Post subject: Re: From negative to positive
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:28 pm

For me, it's very simple.
My 10 years in african percussion is helping me in rythm and structure in my playing but...... no mysteries

One and one thing is the secret to play the Hang.....play with your heart and your soul.
If you'r happy when you'r playing the Hang.....that's all good.
For the rest, it's just the individual perception of music ans sound.

I have read many things about techniques, research of better sound with millimetric touch in the area notes, explanation about the creation of sound and harmonics in the Hang, etc...etc.....
I have see many people playing Hang with her style and perception ( some realy agressive on the Hang ) but if i see a smile on her face....that's good for me....that's her way to play the Hang.

I play the Hang for one year now with my friend Bip, our way is in the zen attitude and very smooth sound and when we see people in very relaxing attitude ( somme near the sleeping way ).....that's the point.
We have now, experiences with people rediscover a deep sleeping after many years of insomnia just the night after a private concert; some people find a way in peace in her minds during a Hang session; etc ....etc.

That's our way of playing and live the Hang.

Last things....in our mind, we'r not "playing" the Hang but...."communicate" and "speak" with our HangHang.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:18 pm

I too like the Zen Attitude style of hang play. I would very much like to hear samples of this style from others.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:28 am

At this place I had to delete two posts that mainly focussed to insult other forum members.

I challenge all forum members to read their posts twice before they send them. There is a preview button. Please use it and think about your post. Do you really want to send it? When emotions run high we sometimes write something we wouldn't do the next morning.

Please let's keep a respectful and non aggressive ambiance in the forum.

After the experience of the last days, the moderation is not longer willing to tolerate any insults. Contradicting opinions are welcome. Insults are not.

As Mr. Fox titled this topic: From the negative to the positive!
Not from the negative to the worst.

Ixkeys Mod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:13 am

You can go on deleting buddy. I'm keeping a record of every post which will demonstrate the very point I make.

So, as I said, to go from negative to positive, which is in your best interests on this forum - please tell us about how you play your hang because you spend a lot of time doing it and the thread starter asked a question.
Do you wish to take part in this thread other than deleting posts?

I personally love stroking my hang gently so it sings to me - a bit like Manu does with his finger in his video. Very clever stuff.
Gentle is better than hard - there's something timeless about taking a piece of something so cold and hard and gently stroking it until it sings back at you, slowly warming as you go.

I do sometimes feel like I want to bash it as hard as possible - but then I'm reminded of the true nature of the thing which is peaceful and gentle. It has such an raw, honest sound - something I think most people who know it, appreciate, which is why it's so captivating.

And despite all the apparent technical brilliance, I am reminded of what a simple thing it is, almost raw and naked in its form but presenting itself as something so much more.

Truly thought provoking...and quite astounding.
I love 2play

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:27 am

torbz wrote:
You can go on deleting buddy. I'm keeping a record of every post which will demonstrate the very point I make.

Because there are no insults in your post there isn't any reason to delete it.

torbz wrote:
Do you wish to take part in this thread other than deleting posts?

This is not the question here. Ixkeys Mod had to do his job as a moderator. When Ixkeys thinks he would like to join this topic he will do it. He cannot do it while Ixkeys Mod is logged in. We strictly seperated the functions of a moderator and a forum member. Therefor I have two accounts. Ixkeys Mod, the moderator and Ixkeys a forum member like others. Ixkeys Mod will never join a discussion as regards content and Ixkeys will never act as a moderator.

You can say that there is only one person behind the accounts. This is true but I have different roles. So everybody can control whether I or other moderators abuse their possibilities as moderators to influence discussions as regard content.

When Ixkeys ask you to do anything or to refrain from something, you don't have to care about more than when any other forum member asked the same. But when I change my account and write something as Ixkeys Mod, then you know that there is a serious problem and that I will use all rights and possibilities given to me as a moderator if necessary in order to solve this problem.

Ixkeys Mod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:53 am

Hi,

@Mr.Fox. Your question : "how do we play the Hang", is interesting and I am curious to hear the views from other Hang players.
I think the main Topic: "from negative to positive" say not realy what your question was, and it is better to make a topic in the Hang part of this forum, if the question is Hang related.
With a more clear Topic people who are interesting in this question could better see what the subject of the discussion is.

Maybe I have later time to open a new Topic with this question.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:34 am

Blimey, what a strange world you live in having to talk about yourself in the third person. (An observation not an insult).

Why don't you sign in as the other you and contribute then, I'd like to hear what you have to say?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:38 am

torbz wrote:
Blimey, what a strange world you live in having to talk about yourself in the third person. (An observation not an insult).

Why don't you sign in as the other you and contribute then, I'd like to hear what you have to say?

Hi,

it was Mr.Fox who ask the question "how do we! play the Hang..."
I only quote this. I am not an native englisch speaker. I thought this means that a "lot of people" should answer.
I can only speak for myself. I know that. But I understand this question in this sense. What is wrong with this?

Greetings
Frank

PS: I just understand, that your posting could also be an answer on IxkeysMod. If this is the case, I think the most people understand what IxkeysMod explained. But you dont want to understand this, it seems.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:23 pm

[quote="Ixkeys Mod]
Please let's keep a respectful and non aggressive ambiance in the forum.

After the experience of the last days, the moderation is not longer willing to tolerate any insults. Contradicting opinions are welcome. Insults are not.
Ixkeys Mod[/quote]

Then better look at your friend "funky", unrespectful and insulting is the lesser I can say about his words. It seems you forgot what they said to me in the "what is a handpan" thread

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:28 pm

Hi Synthi,

please can you "substantiate" your posting with a few arguments?

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:40 pm

No need to do it, I don´t want to speand my time here. Just reread the original post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:06 pm

Funky wrote:
torbz wrote:
PS: I just understand, that your posting could also be an answer on IxkeysMod. If this is the case, I think the most people understand what IxkeysMod explained. But you dont want to understand this, it seems.

It was a reply to IX (Mod).

Sorry Frank, if you understand what most people understood about what IX said above, could you please explain it to me because I don't understand?

He was talking about his two identities on the forum and how one couldn't be the other cuz it'd get confusing for him and others. It worked - I'm confused, I wanted him to respond to the question, as I did, because I was interested in his (IX's not IX mod's) opinion of how we play the hang.

I.e. to get back on subject and get positive - to come to this thread as IX not IX mod so he could take part in the discussion not just delete things that contained no reference to people on this forum that he thought were insults. **As my post said IX mod - lost in translation**

Jump to: