Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » The world of sheet steel sounds

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 Post subject: Re: What separates a Hang from a Halo or Bell?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:05 pm

omrhythm wrote:
Please tell us, how do we understand our Hang?

This is easy. But before you have the chance to find mistakes in my enlisch I will answer in german. Sorry.

"Höre genau hin. Höre mit einem offenen Geist genau hin. Spüre wie Dein Hang sich anfühlt. Begreife es mit deinen Händen und begreife es mit deinem Geist. Höre auf zu Denken. Höre genau hin. "

@Om . Dont try to translate this with a google translator or something else. This dont work. You cant find the sense in this words on this way.

Frank

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:23 pm

It seems almost ridiculous to try to have a constructive discussion when the "opinions" that we are hearing vary from personal opinions, to opinions based on Felix's opinions, to what we may consider to be Felix's true opinions. When Frank and Ix speak, I don't know what "opinion" (of the 3 possible) is being stated at that moment.

There is no room for balance of other opinions. There is no room for compromise. There is no room for growth. And it seems there is no room for anything, other than a Hang..... as it would seem HandPans are a bad joke. How crass. How utterly assuming and infantile. How scared some seem to be.

With all of the knowledgeable banter being tossed around, you would think that we, as intelligent persons, could come to a compromise. Let the egos down. Let the defenses down, and realize that a Hang is just one of many, many sound vessels that have had an ethereal effect on people. It is not the Be All - End All of acoustic devices or sculptures. This does not diminish my love for it. Uncompromising, and un-ending, idiophonic banter does diminish the "magic" for me though.

WHO will win in the battle of facts? No one. As more opinion has been tossed around, as we can't seem to always grasp the true facts...... as they seem to be either lost in translation, or left on the door step of the Hang Haus. Who will win the battle of opinion? I guess that's a matter of opinion. ;)

Bottom line for me...... I enjoy exploring my Hang's sonic possibilities. As I do the Halo. As I hope to with future instruments.... metal, strings, woodwinds, percussion. If I do not use a Hang, will I not be able to reach my own personal nirvana? And if I do use a Hang, who is to say how to use it "properly".

I've too often been accused of being to "happy-happy, everything is nice". At this moment, I wear that brand proudly. As I don't feel as comfortable wearing the confrontational hat that gets worn here too often. Music should be uplifting and inspiring, both to listen to, and to play. "Happy-happy, everything is nice".......

"Music=Life"..... right Frank?

http://www.imagineyedesign.com
http://www.youtube.com/imagineye

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:27 pm

Funky wrote:
omrhythm wrote:

This is easy. But before you have the chance to find mistakes in my enlisch I will answer in german. Sorry.

"Höre genau hin. Höre mit einem offenen Geist genau hin. Spüre wie Dein Hang sich anfühlt. Begreife es mit deinen Händen und begreife es mit deinem Geist. Höre auf zu Denken. Höre genau hin. "

@Om . Dont try to translate this with a google translator or something else. This dont work. You cant find the sense in this words on this way.

Frank

Here is my Babelfish translation....

"Hear exactly. Hear with an open spirit exactly. Feel like your tendency feels. Understand it with your hands and understand it with your spirit. Hear on to thinking. Hear exactly."

This is how I approach ALL of my music...... and my life.

Perhaps this is something you should consider, beyond just the Hang.........

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:32 pm

Funky wrote:

I personally don't want to add the task of learning German as a precondition for understanding Frank's statement before I can "understand" my Hang.

And I guess Frank only told Om not to use Google to translate, so I guess it's okay for me to do so. :lol:

Here was the result (for those of us who speak little to no German): "Listen carefully. Listen closely to with an open mind. Feel like your hang feels. Understand it with your hands and understand it with your mind. Listen to thinking about. Listen carefully."

Makes sense to me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:37 pm

Funky wrote:
omrhythm wrote:

Frank

Right, I understand. So how is it that musicians are not prime candidates for listening carefully and deeply to the Hang? They are trained to do so more so than the average person. Which is why the idea that well trained percussionists are not suitable for the Hang is completely a false statement. Loud Djembe players may have to un-learn some of their skills or adapt them in a more sensitive manner, but that is what well trained percussionists do....they adapt to the situation as necessary and LISTEN. Only a non-musician or novice musician who is just developing this skill could make such a statement. For those of us that have several decades of experience practicing this kind of "soul-listening", the statement that "well trained percussionists are not suitable for the Hang" is like a bad joke.

Sorry for placing this in the wrong thread. I realize it should have remained in the other one.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:45 pm

toddnmd wrote:
Listen to thinking about.

Hi,

this is only one of the wrong translations. What I wrote was something totally different.

I wrote: "Höre auf zu Denken."

Your translation say something like: "Höre um drüber nachzudenken."

This is something totally different.

Frank

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:52 pm

Hands up who here has spent more time arguing about the Hang than playing it today.

*hand is up*
I'm off to remedy that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:57 pm

I realize it is an imperfect translation. Given the choice of:
a. reading in German and understanding nothing
b. beginning to study German and invest years so that I could make my own good translation
c. use Google to obtain a translation to get the general meaning (in just a few seconds)

I found c to be, by far, the best solution.

The general gist of your statement makes sense to me. I recognize there is subtlety and nuance that is lost from the Google translation. (Though Danny's Babelfish translation, along with the Google translation, gave a better sense of what you expressed, though still imperfect.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:01 pm

Imagineye wrote:
It seems almost ridiculous to try to have a constructive discussion when the "opinions" that we are hearing vary from personal opinions, to opinions based on Felix's opinions, to what we may consider to be Felix's true opinions. When Frank and Ix speak, I don't know what "opinion" (of the 3 possible) is being stated at that moment.

There is no room for balance of other opinions. There is no room for compromise. There is no room for growth. And it seems there is no room for anything, other than a Hang.....

Hi,

I think it is a big difference to speak about opinions or simple facts.
If Felix has told me, that there are more female Hangplayers this has nothing to do with opinions. If you have a number of Hanghang and give more in female hands as in male hands is this only a fact and not opinion.
Why I should not tell this?

And what is your problem with "no room for balance or opinions".
I think anybody can post what he want. No problem.
I see, that you dont like to listen my arguments and that you feel that they have to much "weight" for you. This could maybe be the reason that you have not enough "room".
At the moment I dont find any reason to change my views about a few topics (for example Handpan), because I dont could follow your argumentation.
You only say, that a majority think in this and that way.
So I only want to make clear, that we are not the majority of Hangplayers.

Frank

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:05 pm

toddnmd wrote:
I realize it is an imperfect translation. Given the choice of:
a. reading in German and understanding nothing
b. beginning to study German and invest years so that I could make my own good translation
c. use Google to obtain a translation to get the general meaning (in just a few seconds)

I found c to be, by far, the best solution.

The general gist of your statement makes sense to me. I recognize there is subtlety and nuance that is lost from the Google translation. (Though Danny's Babelfish translation, along with the Google translation, gave a better sense of what you expressed, though still imperfect.)

Hi Todd,

i only answered OM in englisch, because I feel he is searching for points where he can "twist" my words .

"Höre auf zu Denken" means something like "Stop to think".

Post subject: Warning
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:35 pm

Please consider that the Hang Forum is a moderated forum. The moderation decided to warn user Omrhythm for statements he posted in this topic. The text of the warning is quoted in the following:
Quote:
This is a warning by the moderation of hangforum.com.

You recently posted several statements which are able to derogate the reputation of the Hang Forum:

"At this point in time the word "cult" or "dictatorship" is a better description of what you have created here." viewtopic.php?p=2715#p2715

"I said this forum feels like a dictatorship because it denies others the right to their opinion." viewtopic.php?p=2722#p2722

"this subject is getting old, but it opened up the curtain to see that not all opinions are being accepted fairly and openly in this forum, which is the main reason why I keep persisting." viewtopic.php?p=2722#p2722

If you cannot prove these statement by demonstrating the posts which were deleted or refused or the members who were told not to post certain opinions by the moderation of the Hang Forum you have to consider that you will be banned from this forum if you repeat posting such a false statement in any topic of the Hang Forum. Be aware that this is a last warning like the yellow card in football.

Please consider that you are not allowed to discuss this warning in the forum. If you can prove your statements, sent your proof in a PM to Ixkeys Mod and the warning will be deleted and your reputation will be re-established by a public statement through the moderation that the warning was false. Any post or text discussing the warning in the forum will be deleted immediately.

To all other members: Please respect that we don't want discussions on the warning. The warning was issued to calm discussion not to heat it. Any post that discusses the warning will be deleted. This is not "dictatorship" because it is explained within the warning text what Omrhythm can do if the warning was false.

Ixkeys Mod

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:36 pm

Om's comment - quickly deleted. *(with warning , of course)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:49 pm

Imagineye wrote:
Om's comment - quickly deleted. *(with warning , of course)

He couldn't resist to discuss the warning. ;-)

I hope we can return to fair discussion as it was in this topic before the last 24 hours.

Ix

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:49 am

Oh YES, FARE discussion, SWEET! I'd like a $5 ticket please to Hale Bopp, and can i have some koolAid to go as well? I'm SO excited!! Finally we get to meet Guruji!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:15 am

Site Admin

omrhythm wrote:
Oh YES, FARE discussion, SWEET! I'd like a $5 ticket please to Hale Bopp, and can i have some koolAid to go as well? I'm SO excited!! Finally we get to meet Guruji!

@OM

You ask the Admin of this forum to delete your account. I just have done this.

Frank

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:19 am

Hi,

because the starter of this thread is not longer a member and to cool down the discussion I close this thread.

If anybody want a discussion about the topic: "What separates a Hang from a Halo or Bell?" please open a new thread.

Thank you.

Frank

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.

Jump to: