Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » Hang Topics

Post subject: how many have been produced?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:14 pm

hi there!!!!
i was wondering about how many hanghang of the SECOND generation have ever been produced?
i guess not as many as of the first genertion?
has anybody an idea?
500?
1000?
2000?
or more?

thanx so much for your responses!!!!!!
lusi

Post subject: Re: how many have been produced?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:29 pm

Hi Lusi,

welcome.

I think that there are between 750 and 900 second generation Hanghang made by Panart. First generation are much more. Over 4000.

Why do you ask?

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:43 pm

hi frank, thanx so much for your quick answer!
why i am asking?
i have found someone who likes to sell his hang.
it seems to be a 2.nd generation hang (it has a brass ding in the picture and a brass loop around the outside hang)
i asked him about the serial number, and he said it was about 2000 something.

so i was wondering if that is a fake....
as i believe too that there were only about 1000 or less hanghang of the 2nd generation made....

i like to trust this person but it seems really to be a fake....

or what do you think?

lusi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:06 pm

Hi,

it could not be, that there is a second generation Hang with a number around 2000. This is for sure.
Some first generation Hang have also an brass ring. This are only a handfull. And they have No! brass Ding.
For you it is important to know, that Panart will not tune or repair any "second hand" Hang what was sold with a profit.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:14 pm

There is an information from PANArt directly how many Hanghang were made:

http://www.hangblog.org/panart-hang-booklet-2008/
Fist generation: 4300 (Page 8)
Second generation: 826 (Page 14)

Ix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:22 pm

hi there and thanx so much for your answers!!!
this hang is not sold with profit that is what makes me suspicious as the price is very low..
the owner sent me a pic of a brass hang.
so do you have an idea what i could ask the owner to make sure if it is a real hang from panart or a fake?
he acceppts paypal so in case of beeing frauded i would get my money back....

thanx soooo much!!!!
lusi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:32 pm

Hi,

it is possible for you to meet the seller in person and test the Hang first?
Ask if there is a sticker inside the Hang with the serial number and the signature from Felix Rohner or Sabina Schärer and the name of the scale.
If there is this sticker it is an first generation Hang. This Hang where sold for less money than the second generation Hang.
It could be, that the seller dont own the Hang and used a photo from the internet. Ask the seller if he could call you by phone and play the Hang for you. Or use Skype for that.

Frank

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:35 pm

Hi,

it is possible for you to meet the seller in person and test the Hang first?
Ask if there is a sticker inside the Hang with the serial number and the signature from Felix Rohner or Sabina Schärer and the name of the scale.
If there is this sticker it is an first generation Hang. This Hang where sold for less money than the second generation Hang.
It could be, that the seller dont own the Hang and used a photo from the internet. Ask the seller if he could call you by phone and play the Hang for you. Or use Skype for that.

The best would be to ask Panart if they could help. Is it a serious seller he would have no problem to send the Hang to Panart.
So, Panart could tune the Hang if it is needfull and you could be sure to have a good Hang.

Frank

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:44 pm

dear frank, thank you for the advice!!!! i will go on and ask the seller.
i will post as soon as i know something new ;)
lusi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:11 pm

Just for your interest, back in March there was a guy selling what he called a 'hang' on Australian eBay and it was a Caisa. Somebody asked me for advice about it and when I looked into it, I was able to tell them it was not a hang. I then emailed Felix, who contacted the guy but he answered that as far as he was concerned it was a hang and he continued to sell it as a hang. So there are certainly people out there who knowingly misrepresent the facts for their own benefit.

Another idea could be to ask the guy to take a photo of the hang next to a copy of a newspaper with the day's headlines on it (or magazine perhaps), so it would not be something he could find as an image on the internet and you would know if the headlines are current that he really has taken the photo.

The other thing is, depending on where he is and where you are, it might be worth taking a trip to where he is - that way you can be very sure.

I also agree with the suggestion of contacting Felix and Sabina, as they could give you some guidance about how to proceed.

Cheers,
:D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:36 am

I was going to say the same As Frank, then saw he already said it... Ask the seller to use PANart as the middle man, they will be able to verify the sale as well as of course ensure as the new owner that you get the retune if required later on.

Never buy a second hand Hang if you want a retune by PANart. If you're happy to entrust the Hang to a steel pan tuner then not much anyone can do to stop you, but for your own piece of mind I would go through PANart on this sale.

Can you post any pictures of the Hang, there is a wealth of knowledge on here and someone may be able to offer some key advice on the Hang that could better ease your mind.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:24 am

hi there!!!!!
i have asked the seller meanwhile for a picture of the serial number:
and he sent one!

here is a link of both the hang drum and the serial:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_AiG-Hufj4qw/TDwT5 ... ld%201.png

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_AiG-Hufj4qw/TDwT5 ... serial.jpg

it really seems to be a second gen. hang (the owner says that it has a ding D)
but i am aware the pic with the serial number is a fake.

let me know!!!!
thanx so much!!!!!!!!!!!
lusi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:36 am

Hi Lusi,

yes, on the picture is a second generation Hang. This is sure.
But the serial number must be a fake. There is no Hang with this number.
To be extra sure, I will ask Panart. I dont beliefe it, but maybe they made a
custom Hang with this number.
I will inform you as soon as I have an answer from Panart.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:44 am

Not sure if it helps, but I was curious to see what a google images search would bring up, and on this page http://www.google.com.au/images?q=hang&hl=en&gbv=2&tbs=isch:1&ei=IRg8TJuCKNz7cOzUrcYO&sa=N&start=20&ndsp=20 there is the exact same picture of the hang as has been supplied to you. Of course it could be entirely okay, but on the other hand it could be an image taken from the internet. Perhaps you could check to see if the source of the image fits with what you are finding out.

As was suggested though, a good way would be to ask to hear the hang over the phone.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:03 am

hi there to all to you who sent so freindly and helpful messages!!!!!!
thanx so much!!!!!!
@samjjana:

you are right! the picture is the same as on this website!!!!
the seller of the hang also is living in australia (perth)
i myself am living in germany and i would travel to anywhere but to australia it is a long time and very expensive ;(

but i would so much love to play this hang drum....

the seller said after i asked him if the hang could be picked up by a friend, that this was okay!
so i wonder (if it is a fake) why he invites me or my friend to come and pick up the hang....

oh, so mysterious!!!!
if you are living near perth you could check the hang ;)

australia is such a big country....

love,
lusi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:58 am

Hi ,

I just got the answer from Panart. They never build a Hang with this serial number. It is a fake!!!
Dont send money. I dont know how a scam with Paypal could work, but it seems that this fraud find a way.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:13 am

I'm thinking maybe Frank you could now work with lusi and this potential seller on getting them details to contact PANart, the safest way for sure to ensure that the Hang should it be real (which I would be seriously doubting by the fake pictures and phoney serial number) actually makes its way via the proper channels and ensure that lusi is guaranteed a retune in the future.

It's a carrot being dangled though by the sounds of things... even PAYPAL is not fool proof i'm sure, crooks will find a way to get your cash.

Do keep us posted on this one though, i'd eb keen to find out the final outcome.

Regards,

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:01 pm

Sorry I can't check it for you in Perth - it's a 5 hour plane trip (from the east coast of Australia to the west coast of Australia!) I'll be there next March but that's a bit too late!
Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:02 pm

Actually, the other guy I mentioned before selling a Caisa and calling it a hang was also in Perth! (Maybe they are friends!)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:06 pm

hi anybody ;)

i am actually working something out with frank!
even felix from panart said it must be a fake. this serial number never was produced in 2nd gen. hanghang.

i hope we will be successfull in stopping this guy frauding hopeful people.

i know australia is very big ;)
@samjjana, perhaps if you are in perth you could try to find out if the address of this guy really exists (i know the address)

i will post anything new!!!!!!!
love,
lusi

Jump to: