Board index » Foyer » English

Post subject: need help - which Hang is this
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:29 am

Namaste,

need help.
Please help me in knowing that is this Hang a first gen Hang or second gen ?
If it sounds ok? ( to me it does not sounds out of tune :rolleyes: )

What was is original cost when this was made? if somebody buys it with contract, will Panart tune it in it does out of tune ?

https://picasaweb.google.com/1165135548 ... 2515331602

http://youtu.be/gh42jyj-duY

thanks in advance:)

Last edited by anandamide on Thu May 03, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: need help - which Hang is this
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:39 am

anandamide wrote:
Namaste,

need help.
Please help me in knowing that is this Hang a first gen Hang or second gen ?
If it sounds ok? ( to me it does not sounds out of tune :rolleyes: )

What was is original cost when this was made? if somebody buys it with contract, will Panart tune it in it does out of tune ?

Hi Anandamine,

This sounds like 1st Gen Hijaz and these were originally sold for prices around 300-600,- Eur.
It is one of the most popular 1st Gen scales. This instrument is not really "in tune" any more, if that bothers you is a personal thing though.
It was made before PanArt introduced the contracts, but from my understanding they stopped normal retuning altogether, except in case of accident.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:54 am

Thanks a lot for the information David

Well i thought it was a 2nd gen Hang. I don't really understand music professionally, but it sounded good to my ears :D

Did you check the inside sticker photograph ?

There is one more link i have got where he shows few rust marks :?

http://youtu.be/53YkzK0bwgw

Can you advise me on the condition of the Hang ?

thanks

love and peace

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:04 pm

Hello,

it is a second generation. The brass ring was removed. This Hang is out of tune. It is possible, that something else, except Panart try to change the scale or made some tuning in the foretime.
Do you think about to buy this Hang?

You must know, that Panart will not tune this Hang for you.

I hope this helps.

Frank

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:33 pm

Frank Sturm wrote:
Hello,

it is a second generation. The brass ring was removed. This Hang is out of tune. It is possible, that something else, except Panart try to change the scale or made some tuning in the foretime.
Do you think about to buy this Hang?

You must know, that Panart will not tune this Hang for you.

I hope this helps.

Frank

Interesting, I thought the 2nd Gen Models were all lower register with D Ding, that would be quite a drastic retune.
Or were there still some higher register models built?
How do you see it is a 2nd Gen?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:43 pm

Hi,

sorry. I made a mistake. I had only a short look and I was irritated by the color. On my screen it looks like messing, but it is not.
It is of course a first generation Hang.

Frank

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:53 pm

definitely a first Gen, but i can see why you though it was a second Frank, the colour in the second vid looks slightly more yellow as if it'd been brassed.

I would say the second video sounds better than the first, but this hang could most certainly do with a check over/retune. With PANart no longer offering this service your only option is to send it to another tuner. I've seen Kyle Cox from Pantheon Steel retune a Hang and he does a very good job of it. It will of course cost you a lot of money to send it to him though, but if you get the Hang for a good price it would be worth it.

Not sure of any European tuners that have been recognized as good to retune Hang.... people have no option now but to seek out tuners willing to do the service, which is a shame but I do understand PANarts view on that.

Rust, judging by the small amount on this Hang, this would be easily treated. I used a very fine wire wool on mine and at the time some Beeswax polish, gently rubbing in circles to lift the surface rust from the Hang. It takes time, you have to be patient and very gentle but it will come off and will be fine, this does not look like anything to worry about.

I would check out the inside of the Hang though, if there is rust on the outside, you could have bigger problems on the inside. I saw a Hang at the beginning of the year that had small rust spots on the outside, but full on corrosion on the inside, it was in a bad way and probably very likely to be untreatable. Just a word of warning that's all... give it a thorough check over.

Price wise, I thnk 300 - 600 Euros would be about right. I only deal in Pounds myself and the first Gen's were typically sold for around £200 - £400.

Good luck

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:38 pm

It is a high voice 1st generation Hang built 2004 or 2005 I think. Those instruments cost 460 Euro.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:29 pm

Thanks a lot everybody for a very informative description.
The seller has coated a price of 2000 pounds, which I believe is way to much.
I live in. India and seller is in UK. So don't know hw to check the inside of the Hang.

But the price seems to very expensive and I doubt that he wil sell at the original price.

Once again thanks for such quick responses. Wil update you guys if he plans to bring down the price.

Love and peace

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:13 pm

So glad I read this - we live in a sub tropical climate 15 minutes from the ocean, so I keep an eye out for rust, but it hs never occurred to me to check the inside of my hang.

After reading this we checked inside, and there is a little rust spot in there - fortunately something we can deal with but it doesn't bear thinking about a situation where the rust might get so bad that it is beyond fixing.

We will keep a check on it periodically from now on!

Whew!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:02 pm

Interestingly enough I wonder if this is the Hang I saw earlier this year, the rust spots on the outside looked familiar. If so then really I wouldn't pay more than £400-£500 for that instrument... from what I saw the rust looked pretty bad on the inside so not sure it's even worth that.

The Hang was bought to the HangOver, it sounded in tune at the time as I had a good play on it, the girl who was going to buy it was told it was £2,000 so i'd be surprised if this was a different one.... she bought a Bell in the end.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:04 pm

Kelly Hutchinson wrote:
Interestingly enough I wonder if this is the Hang I saw earlier this year, the rust spots on the outside looked familiar. If so then really I wouldn't pay more than £400-£500 for that instrument... from what I saw the rust looked pretty bad on the inside so not sure it's even worth that.

The Hang was bought to the HangOver, it sounded in tune at the time as I had a good play on it, the girl who was going to buy it was told it was £2,000 so i'd be surprised if this was a different one.... she bought a Bell in the end.

Well Kelly this Hang is in north England. And I hav decided not to buy it.

I am not buying anything except the Free Integral Hang. I just got excited :D , but it does not speaks to me the way a Free Integral Hang has.

But thanks a lot for all the detailed information.

Jump to: